American Flyers Career Flight Program

xkex5088

Does anyone have any experience with this program and if so what is the cost, quality of training, aircraft, etc.?

I didn't do the career program but I did do the CFI Academy at the Pompano Beach locaton. The aircraft are typical C-172, C-172RG with some having an IFR GPS... nothing too special. The maintance was pretty good at that location, I never had any second thoughts about safety of the aircraft there. The instruction I got in the CFI academy was top notch. It seems as if most of their CFIs who work there are graduates of the CFI program so I would expect that the quality of instruction for all programs to be pretty good. Sorry I don't know anything about the career program but I will say that the American Flyers at Pompano Beach is worth at least a look. Hope this helps and good luck!

A few things about Flyers. Great instructors for the most part. WAAAAYYY overpriced. Great place for an instrument rating and CFI's. Would not go there for private or commercial. Go to a small part 61 place for your private, flyers for you IR and a seperate 141 school for a multi commercial. Get a single engine add-on and go back to flyers for your CFI's and get a job. Thats the way I did it and couldnt be happier. Saved approximately 10-15k from doing everything at AF.

A few things about Flyers. Great instructors for the most part.

I have to disagree with this statement. I used to work at AF in CA. A bunch of tools for CFI's. None of them knew there butt from a hole in the ground. It was one of the reasons why I quit. They use a team teaching approach, which in my experince usually causes the student to lag behind, becuase of the confusion of multiple teaching styles. They are however, like the previous poster responded, WAY overpriced. If I remember right, it's $190 an hour in a 172 solo, and $220 with the instructor. Ground was $90 an hour. And 141 is a sales gimmick. You are not likely to get your cert. in 35 hrs (PPL). And you will leave yourself with serious gaps to fill due to lack of flying experince (once again-141). I also think that never having to see the FAA, except for the CFI initial is leading the industry into a place where quality of pilots is going to seriously suffer. I have personally seen more than one person go through the process that didn't have a clue what was realy going on, and still get a PPL.

The only thing they offer that is worth the money is the CFI course.

I just finished my Commercial ASEL/AMEL at Paris Air in Vero. And was looking around for CFI programs and stumbled upon this one about AF. Pompano isn't out of reach. Anyone have a rough estimate of what it cost? :confused:

I have to disagree with this statement. I used to work at AF in CA. A bunch of tools for CFI's. None of them knew there butt from a hole in the ground. It was one of the reasons why I quit. They use a team teaching approach, which in my experince usually causes the student to lag behind, becuase of the confusion of multiple teaching styles. They are however, like the previous poster responded, WAY overpriced. If I remember right, it's $190 an hour in a 172 solo, and $220 with the instructor. Ground was $90 an hour. And 141 is a sales gimmick. You are not likely to get your cert. in 35 hrs (PPL). And you will leave yourself with serious gaps to fill due to lack of flying experince (once again-141). I also think that never having to see the FAA, except for the CFI initial is leading the industry into a place where quality of pilots is going to seriously suffer. I have personally seen more than one person go through the process that didn't have a clue what was realy going on, and still get a PPL.

The only thing they offer that is worth the money is the CFI

I've heard that about SMO. I have personal experience with the Addison school and know that they pick the best out the academy to hire.....usually. Every school has their giligans but for the most part ADS is good on the instructor half. ;)

Back