Question about detailed portions of airport diagram

c172captain

Is there any way to find out the distance between the displaced threshold and the first taxiway of a runway? I tried looking at airport diagrams but they just have the entire runway length. Is there some sort of math equation I can do or am I am just completely missing an obvious piece of information.

HA! Are you checking your landing distance? I did that about a month ago.

I had one student that couldn't do a short field in a seminole to save his life, so I showed him one and to find out how short I was I used an approach plate for that airport.
Then I fractioned out the runway. 1/5ths were the fractions that worked to have a segment line, line up on the first taxi-way, the one I turned on to (same place where I came to a full stop).
A 1/5 segment on a 5003 foot runway, means it took me 1000 ft of runway edge to full stop spot.
I was impressed, then I remembered the book said 700 feet needed for a short field. :(

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0902/06294VD24.PDF
Runway 24 to the first Taxi-way.

After all of that, I could have just looked at the aiming markers, which are typically 1000 feet down the runway... :rolleyes:

Tell me, is this why you are looking that up? :D

This is exactly why :D My student and I were practicing various landing configurations for his pre-solo stuff; no flaps landing, short approach, no flaps landing with a touch and go, flip to land, etc. Anyways, it was the last landing of the day and he commented how he was going to have to take the super long way around the airport because he was going to land at the end of the runway and be forced to make a left (we were on 16L and still needed to cross 16R and taxi up to the tower) because of taxiway closures... anyways, I said, well we won't have to if you can make taxiway Foxtrot. He looked at me and simply said "It's impossible" and I said no it ain't, so he told me to do it and I rocked it :nana2:. When I get time, I'll attempt the calculation and get back to you.

Or if you wanna help me out, you can calculate the distance from the displaced threshold on 16L to taxiway F at KVNY :D

Is there any way to find out the distance between the displaced threshold and the first taxiway of a runway? I tried looking at airport diagrams but they just have the entire runway length. Is there some sort of math equation I can do or am I am just completely missing an obvious piece of information.

Google earth and use the tape measure icon thingy. Thats what I have done in the past to do exactly what your talking about.

I beleive in the AIM there are runway marking dimensions. Find out the size of the center line stripes and use those to judge the distance

650 feet according to google earth, thats my easy and lazy way. Curious to know how accurate that is.

Ya I got 636... kind of dissapointing, I thought it was like 400ft lol. Oh well, I guess that's somewhat respectable, it looked WAY shorter when I was on final :D

Ya I got 636... kind of dissapointing, I thought it was like 400ft lol. Oh well, I guess that's somewhat respectable, it looked WAY shorter when I was on final :D

I got 650 going to the center of the turnoff, so thats prabably correct to the begining of the turn. What were the winds? 640 is still pretty damn good. We go to an airport some that has a taxiway 1000 feet down, thats were I make them do short fields, and I thought that was close!

Google earth and use the tape measure icon thingy. Thats what I have done in the past to do exactly what your talking about.

Smarter, not harder.
That is a much better idea!

Edit: "flip to land" what is that? I have never heard of that.

Edit: "flip to land" what is that? I have never heard of that.
That's what happens when your student lands so crooked the airplane flips, and as it is rotating around you kick it straight so that when you touch down upside down the airplane is over and tracking straight down centerline.

That's what happens when your student lands so crooked the airplane flips, and as it is rotating around you kick it straight so that when you touch down upside down the airplane is over and tracking straight down centerline.

good good, I was worried about the centerline in all of this flipping. :D

It would be nice if they made airport diagrams like the do golf yardage books "723 ft to the dark spot on the first taxi turnoff"

something to add to the g1000:D

Tower/Ground controllers usually know the distances to/from specific taxiways. I've just asked them over the air before to determine if I was legal to do an intersection take off.

Back