Company Medical Test

Recently my flight instructor and I were discussing the letter of evidence for my slight color deficiency, and how I got past that obstacle. He then started telling me how I could possible have trouble getting hired in the future by larger air carriers because some have their own medical test or something and I might not pass their color test... Now I'm not sure if he's just pulling my leg or trying to discourage me or something, but now I'm curious. Are any of you familiar with something like this? Also, would an airline have a problem with me having a color vision waiver? Thanks!

Recently my flight instructor and I were discussing the letter of evidence for my slight color deficiency, and how I got past that obstacle. He then started telling me how I could possible have trouble getting hired in the future by larger air carriers because some have their own medical test or something and I might not pass their color test... Now I'm not sure if he's just pulling my leg or trying to discourage me or something, but now I'm curious. Are any of you familiar with something like this? Also, would an airline have a problem with me having a color vision waiver? Thanks!

Not very many do their own medicals. Eagle, AA and Delta are all I can think of off the top of my head. IMO, it's kicking the door down for a discrimination lawsuit if you're denied the job based on a company medical exam yet can hold the medical cert required.

Not very many do their own medicals. Eagle, AA and Delta are all I can think of off the top of my head. IMO, it's kicking the door down for a discrimination lawsuit if you're denied the job based on a company medical exam yet can hold the medical cert required.

:yeahthat: Those company medicals are very questionable under the ADA. Obviously, they've gotten away with it so far, though.

They get away with it, by giving you a conditional offer of employment prior to you taking the medical.

That really doesn't absolve them. If they still deny you employment for a medical reason when you can hold a valid First class medical, conditional employment or not, it's questionable.

That really doesn't absolve them. If they still deny you employment for a medical reason when you can hold a valid First class medical, conditional employment or not, it's questionable.

:yeahthat: (again). The problem with it isn't requiring the medical but rejecting someone for a medical condition that isn't actually disqualifying under federal regulation.

Back