Speedbird 286

Obviously I "wasn't there" but with the flight plan they had and the flight path they took I would say they had some sort of non-emergency issue that forced them to return to SFO. I don't fly the 74 (hope I can one day;) ) but the difference in TO weight and the max landing weight is quite significant. As I understand the certification, when the max t/o weight and max landing weight differ by a large number the a/c has the ability to dump fuel to get the weight down to the max landing weight. Wasn't there, but thats my general understanding. Smaller a/c just burn the gas to get the weight down, a 74 fueled to go thousands of miles would take a long...long... time.

It will be interesting to find out. The ATC tapes are pretty noneventful. Discusses staying out over the water to finish his fuel dump, nothing else unusual.

It will be interesting to find out. The ATC tapes are pretty noneventful. Discusses staying out over the water to finish his fuel dump, nothing else unusual.

I asked OAK tower if they knew anything, but alas, they didn't. By the way, your post on this thread was number 747, about a 747.

Back