FAA says Hackers broke into agency computers

Piker

Hackers broke into the Federal Aviation Administration's computer system last week, accessing the names and Social Security numbers of 45,000 employees and retirees. The agency said in a statement Monday that two of the 48 files on the breached computer server contained personal information about employees and retires who were on the FAA's rolls as of the first week of February 2006.
The server that was accessed was not connected to the operation of the air traffic control system and there is no indication those systems have been compromised, the statement said.
link
So... does this apply to any of us who applied in 2008? The FAA has my social security number, should I start watching my credit report with an eagle eye?

I would have posted this in the news subforum, except it's a terrible dead useless forum.

it says at the bottom of the article that it was not connected to the ATC system

i say you have nothing to worry about

Hackers broke into the Federal Aviation Administration's computer system last week, accessing the names and Social Security numbers of 45,000 employees and retirees. The agency said in a statement Monday that two of the 48 files on the breached computer server contained personal information about employees and retires who were on the FAA's rolls as of the first week of February 2006.
The server that was accessed was not connected to the operation of the air traffic control system and there is no indication those systems have been compromised, the statement said.
link
So... does this apply to any of us who applied in 2008? The FAA has my social security number, should I start watching my credit report with an eagle eye?

I would have posted this in the news subforum, except it's a terrible dead useless forum.

I got that email.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

"employees and retires who were on the FAA's rolls as of the first week of February 2006."

if you applied in 08, you weren't on the rolls in Feb. 06.

You are all naive if you don't think they, the Turkish **** that stole the info, can do anything with your ss# and name, + other pertinent info. Go to experian, equifax, etc and put in a 60 day fraud alert immediately.

Been there, done that....seen the scars it leaves.

Go to experian, equifax, etc and put in a 60 day fraud alert immediately.

I've checked my credit with the big three reporting agencies, but I've never put any sort of fraud alert out there. Does it cost money, reflect negatively on you, etc...

I've checked my credit with the big three reporting agencies, but I've never put any sort of fraud alert out there. Does it cost money, reflect negatively on you, etc...

It's free. It wont reflect negatively on you. However if anyone is trying to pull your credit, the credit bureau will need be able to reach you via phone to approve it. They won't just give it out. So meaning, if you go to Best Buy and decide to buy a Plasma on store credit, when they're trying to pull your credit report you'll get a phone call from whoever reporting bureau that Best Buy is requesting your credit file, do you approve. Same goes if you're trying to buy a house or renting an apartment.

It lasts 90 days, but if you are a victim you can have it on for 7 years.

Back