New Private Pilot!

JeffMSU

Yesterday I finally passed my private pilot checkride. Over the past few months, Michigan has had terrible weather and along with a fleet of old planes that always break just when you think you can finish, the checkride has was postponed intill yesterday.

I finished with 45 TT which was all 150/152 time except the last three hours which was in a 172. I feel pretty good being able to pass the checkride with only three hours in a 172 (and that counts the practice time spent flying from Lansing to Flint).

Thanks for everyones posts and threads all throughout the site, it helped me immensely! Now its time to build some XC PIC!!

Yesterday I finally passed my private pilot checkride. Over the past few months, Michigan has had terrible weather and along with a fleet of old planes that always break just when you think you can finish, the checkride has was postponed intill yesterday.

I finished with 45 TT which was all 150/152 time except the last three hours which was in a 172. I feel pretty good being able to pass the checkride with only three hours in a 172 (and that counts the practice time spent flying from Lansing to Flint).

Thanks for everyones posts and threads all throughout the site, it helped me immensely! Now its time to build some XC PIC!!

Super Congrats to you! :nana2: I hope you enjoy your career, whether professional or personal.

JeffMSU, can you please do me a really sweet favor. You said something in your post that got my attention. You said that all of your 45 TT was 150 and 152. You then did the final three (3) hours in the 172. I know that there will be a huge difference between a C-5B Galaxy and a 150 or a 152, so that's not what I'm getting at here. What I want to know from you [if you don't mind], is an explanation or a description of what you thought were the biggest differences between as you made the move from the 150/152 to the 172.

I'm not necessrily looking for intrinsic value differences [horsepower, engine noise, etc.]. I'm merely interested in the psychology of the move you made. Where were the biggest things in your mind, that stood out as "different" between the 150/152 and the 172.

Again, congrats and frequency change approved from student to real pilot!

Awesome! I passed mine yesterday as well... good work!!

Congratulations to both of you. And good luck on your instrument.

Well, I did something similar...did all my primary training in a 152, passed my PPL ride and the next day checked out in the FBO's 172. Honestly, there isn't much of a difference. The 152 is a bit nastier in a stall, partly because you're always almost at MGW with a passenger. Really, the only thing to remember is that the V-speeds are approximately 5 knots faster in the 172 and that you have backseaters to worry about. The flying characteristics are extremely similar. Lightly loaded, I'd say I prefer flying the 152...I feel like the plane's an extension of myself!

Well, I did something similar...did all my primary training in a 152, passed my PPL ride and the next day checked out in the FBO's 172. Honestly, there isn't much of a difference. The 152 is a bit nastier in a stall, partly because you're always almost at MGW with a passenger. Really, the only thing to remember is that the V-speeds are approximately 5 knots faster in the 172 and that you have backseaters to worry about. The flying characteristics are extremely similar. Lightly loaded, I'd say I prefer flying the 152...I feel like the plane's an extension of myself!

That's what I was thinking someone might say, but I was not 100% sure.

On paper, the move looks too easy however, sometimes the real world throws a curve ball. I was looking for the curve ball. You gave none as it does not seem like there was any mentally challenging things for you to consider or adjust to. Just a small upgrade from what you had been used to in the 152 - like you said, a 5 kt increase and not much more than that.

Thanks for the help.

Congrats man, I just passed mine last saturday. I can relate to the crap weather here in Ohio set me back many times.

JeffMSU, can you please do me a really sweet favor. You said something in your post that got my attention. You said that all of your 45 TT was 150 and 152. You then did the final three (3) hours in the 172. I know that there will be a huge difference between a C-5B Galaxy and a 150 or a 152, so that's not what I'm getting at here. What I want to know from you [if you don't mind], is an explanation or a description of what you thought were the biggest differences between as you made the move from the 150/152 to the 172.

I'm not necessrily looking for intrinsic value differences [horsepower, engine noise, etc.]. I'm merely interested in the psychology of the move you made. Where were the biggest things in your mind, that stood out as "different" between the 150/152 and the 172.

I have heard that the 172 is easier to land but i think they are about the same. the biggest difference is the line of sight with the landing. The 172's panel sits up a lot higher so during your flare/float theres a different perspective. This was the biggest thing getting used to and about 10-15 landings latter... its getting better i gotta say that my landing for my checkride was one of the better ones :). but other then that its pretty much the same, i felt i had to use a little more back pressure along with an increase in throttle during steep turns to keep the altitude the same.

The 172 also floats a lot more on landing, come to think of it, but that's mainly due to the fact that you're usually more lightly loaded. Also, flaps 40 in a 172 is usually unnecessary; I use flaps 30 for normal landings. Cessna eliminated the extra 10 degrees of flaps in the 172 after the N model, I believe.

Nice job guys!!!

The only real thing that I notice between the 152/172 is the landing, my first few in the 172 were really hard because of how much higher off the ground you sit, and the sight picture. In general I would say that the 172 is easier to fly.

The Flap 40 landings... those are FUN in an "N" model. =D

800 feet on final, idle power with the flaps out and STILL have to add power to make the runway on a 65kt approach.

Congrats. Try going from a 172 to a warrior. I still land it flat 50% of the time after 70 hours in it.

Back