Heading out to UND this summer, more questions.

Thunder-Robo

haha, me again.

Kay, so i got accepted at a few places both in Canada and the States, but i'm really set on going to UND, Just want a few things clarified before i apply for my student visa and such...

Don't know how to put this...
-I've been reading quite a bit on the forums and such and noticed a trend... a hate on asians...???:laff: Or at least their restaurants. :yup:
...Being of an asian descent (but spent my whole life in Canada, grew up playing baseball and hockey, race ShifterKarts on an national level, ate more burgers then i've seen rice) I would consider my self pretty damn 'whitewashed'... will there be any problems? Am i going to be... treated differently?? I ask only because I've never been in NorthDakota, and don't really know how things are in the States with the whole 'race' issue... Not that it has ever been a problem with my visits to the states in the past.

As funny as that sounds, i'm looking for a serious answer:p

-Bringing my car down... Are there student parking available for those living in dorms? (just for the first year, thought it'd be a great way to meet people)

Those are my two main questions.

- Far fetch but... Anyone into motorsports at all on here? i couldn't find much about ND's racing community on SCCA.

Thanks in advance guys!
Derek.

Parking-All the dorms have parking with them.

As far as the race thing, I am sure you will encounter some Minnesota farmer who has never seen anyone that isn't white, but they are few and far between. Especially in the aviation department, you will find a lot of diverse people from different parts of the country that have experienced a variety of things.

There isn't really a "hate" going on here at UND on asians, or racism in my opinion. There is a big difference in Contract students and undergrads of asian descent. There is a lot of negative talk on here (including me) but most of it is directed toward the Upper level management and the decisions that have been made in regard to the International contract training. As far as racing, Im a huge fan. Grand forks has a dirt oval for kart racing that runs from May through september usually (forkskartingassociation.com), but no shifter/road course kart racing to speak of.

One of my friends is of Asian descent...he milks it for his comedy act as "Enare Yamanatakahara" from "Tokyo 4 TV." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COEIRakTqdg
Unfortunately, there is some amount of cultural insensitivity here, as there is just about anywhere; I think there was an issue last year with anti-Semetic graffiti but I can't remember details.
Also, if you're planning on living in the dorms, do your homework...not all dorms are created equal! I lucked out and got a fantastic wing with a great RA in a so-so hall (West). There's a big parking lot in the back of the Wilkerson complex for Brannon, McVey, Selke, and Noren halls; West's parking is across the street in the lot for the Chester Fritz Auditorium. I have no idea what the Johnstone/Fulton complex is like for parking.

I wouldnt say there is a hatred towards asians here. The only reason people gripe about them is because there is so many contract training students from china and japan and aircraft availability has been rough.

About SCCA, doubt there is anything of that nature here. If you don't have a pontiac grand am or a pick up truck people will hate you.:sarcasm:

If there is enough interest in motor sport we should meet up a weekend or something and drive down to somewhere which has a track and have a track day. That would be a blast!

I would totally be up for that!

Are you starting in the fall or this summer?

Haha, that's what i thought, thanks for clearing it up guys.

Also, Thanks for all the tips regarding Student housing too.

If there is enough interest in motor sport we should meet up a weekend or something and drive down to somewhere which has a track and have a track day. That would be a blast!

I would totally be up for that!

Are you starting in the fall or this summer?

Yes. That's something i was REALLY hoping to hear! Maybe head up to Winnipeg?

Is your that e46M w/CSLs (or V710s??) in your pic yours? That is pretty sweet my friend!!:drool::crazy: I used to drive a ESS-e46 sedan. Stage2 GRB now :rawk:

I'll be starting in the fall, but should be in Grand Forks in the beginning of summer for paperwork.

- Far fetch but... Anyone into motorsports at all on here? i couldn't find much about ND's racing community on SCCA.

I'm an SCCA member and participated in Badlands SCCA events in Grand Forks. They no longer have the Grand Forks events due to Alerus Center no longer allowing the use of their parking lot for track events, so Fargo, Winnipeg, Bismarck, and the occasional Devil's Lake ice autocross event in the winter is all that is left.

The Grand Forks SCCA Solo autox events always had a huge turnout. Typically 60-80 participants with the typical SCCA autox cars - Miatas, WRXs, Mini Coopers, Honda Civics, BMW M3s, Lotus Elise, VW Rabbit/GTIs, etc.

Check out the Badlands Chapter SCCA website: http://www.sccabadlands.org

They are a highly organized, knowledgeable, friendly group.

I'm an SCCA member and participated in Badlands SCCA events in Grand Forks. They no longer have the Grand Forks events due to Alerus Center no longer allowing the use of their parking lot for track events, so Fargo, Winnipeg, Bismarck, and the occasional Devil's Lake ice autocross event in the winter is all that is left.

The Grand Forks SCCA Solo autox events always had a huge turnout. Typically 60-80 participants with the typical SCCA autox cars - Miatas, WRXs, Mini Coopers, Honda Civics, BMW M3s, Lotus Elise, VW Rabbit/GTIs, etc.

Check out the Badlands Chapter SCCA website: http://www.sccabadlands.org

They are a highly organized, knowledgeable, friendly group.

Big thanks. Very helpful.

Haha, that's what i thought, thanks for clearing it up guys.

Also, Thanks for all the tips regarding Student housing too.

Yes. That's something i was REALLY hoping to hear! Maybe head up to Winnipeg?

Is your that e46M w/CSLs (or V710s??) in your pic yours? That is pretty sweet my friend!!:drool::crazy: I used to drive a ESS-e46 sedan. Stage2 GRB now :rawk:

I'll be starting in the fall, but should be in Grand Forks in the beginning of summer for paperwork.

Haha, no I wish. I have a 318ti (which I am very happy with), I'd really love a e36 M3 though. Better yet I'd love to keep the Ti and do an engine swap with a S50 or S52 engine. What car do you have now?

I'd love to go to an SCCA event but I had no one to go with and going alone is no fun. No one here cares about that stuff. Although going to an actual track day would be even more fun.

Also see if you can come in the summer for 102 (Private pilot class), I did that and it was one of the best things I did, really helped ease the transition and met a lot of people from summer that I still hang out with. Most of my friends are from that first summer. YMMV

Don't know how to put this...
-I've been reading quite a bit on the forums and such and noticed a trend... a hate on asians...???:laff: Or at least their restaurants. :yup:
...Being of an asian descent (but spent my whole life in Canada, grew up playing baseball and hockey, race ShifterKarts on an national level, ate more burgers then i've seen rice) I would consider my self pretty damn 'whitewashed'... will there be any problems? Am i going to be... treated differently?? I ask only because I've never been in NorthDakota, and don't really know how things are in the States with the whole 'race' issue... Not that it has ever been a problem with my visits to the states in the past.

As funny as that sounds, i'm looking for a serious answer:p

One of the biggest challenges for UND is increasing diversity. I'm asian and lived in Grand Forks for two years. I seemed to think that the University campus was naturally more diverse than the city itself. There are only a couple of situations when in restaurants and such that I felt maybe I was being treated unfairly and you start to wonder if it was racism. I am from Hawaii where the population is predominantly asian. Upon arrival in Grand Forks I became a LOT more aware of my minority when I entered rooms and classes and found myself the ONLY asian person (sometimes the only non-white person period!).

You will probably get stupid ignorant comments like "do you speak chinese?" and "what country are you from?". I had another asian friend from Hawaii who was told "you speak very good english".

I avoided getting offended knowing I was only going to be there for a few years. Sometimes you will run into a nut-case. There is a crazy woman who drives a taxi van in the city that says "they shouldn't be teaching those Japanese to fly since they bombed Pearl Harbor". :rolleyes:

All in all, it was a good experience and I often think back and laugh at what I went through.

One of the biggest challenges for UND is increasing diversity. I'm asian and lived in Grand Forks for two years. I seemed to think that the University campus was naturally more diverse than the city itself. There are only a couple of situations when in restaurants and such that I felt maybe I was being treated unfairly and you start to wonder if it was racism. I am from Hawaii where the population is predominantly asian. Upon arrival in Grand Forks I became a LOT more aware of my minority when I entered rooms and classes and found myself the ONLY asian person (sometimes the only non-white person period!).

You will probably get stupid ignorant comments like "do you speak chinese?" and "what country are you from?". I had another asian friend from Hawaii who was told "you speak very good english".

I avoided getting offended knowing I was only going to be there for a few years. Sometimes you will run into a nut-case. There is a crazy woman who drives a taxi van in the city that says "they shouldn't be teaching those Japanese to fly since they bombed Pearl Harbor". :rolleyes:

All in all, it was a good experience and I often think back and laugh at what I went through.

your initials B. S.?

Haha, no I wish. I have a 318ti (which I am very happy with), I'd really love a e36 M3 though. Better yet I'd love to keep the Ti and do an engine swap with a S50 or S52 engine. What car do you have now?

I'd love to go to an SCCA event but I had no one to go with and going alone is no fun. No one here cares about that stuff. Although going to an actual track day would be even more fun.

Also see if you can come in the summer for 102 (Private pilot class), I did that and it was one of the best things I did, really helped ease the transition and met a lot of people from summer that I still hang out with. Most of my friends are from that first summer. YMMV

A S52 would be awesome in the 318, I believe a complete swap with 6speed/ECU/OBO-II/Keys can be had for under $3000 nowadays. haha, But you HAVE to keep the badge on the back tho, it'll be a total sleeper :yup:
My Sponsors just recently put me into a COBB/Crawford Performance tuned 08 STi (GRB). -(I've starting a bit of SoloSprints aka TimeAttack the past fall) I debadged the whole car just just left the "Impreza" badge. You have no idea how many riced out civics and neons, tried to race me at the lights... Not to mention those who are having their midlife crisis and drive Vipers and ZR1s, trying to impress their wives by smoking their tires at every light... even though the speed limit on all city roads are 50KM/H here. but... what can i say, my little "impreza" puts ~400hp to the ground (~515 at the crank on 91-Oct) and rises to the occasion every time. It's a High 10 second car on RaceGas/Meth, but even with Pump gas, i've ran 11.3s and 100km/h comes in three point five seconds or less.

[NOT THAT I SUPPORT STREET RACING WHAT SO EVER, BUT THESE GUYS JUST NEEDED THEIR EGOS CHECKED, AND I'D THOUGHT I'D HAVEA BIT OF FUN WHILE WE'RE AT IT] Think your faster? Prove it on the track.

Acutally, I'm almost done my PPL here in canada, and won't be flying the 102 course. I'll be in GrandFork for the August "Welcome Week" though.

Thanks for shareing.

Haha, so i guess they meant no harm...

I think my GTi is faster. 180 HP to the crank and god knows how many actually make it to the wheels. I have 6 gears to choose from which gives me a wide variety speeds at various RPM ranges. Super comfy recaro seats which keep me strapped in because of the enormous launch power. FActory programmed launch control ESP comes in handy. I have a rabbit emblem on the back which gives me and extra push incase I need it. ( :sarcasm:the whole thing)

Just curious, If your sponsored and being given cars to drive why would you want to leave all that? Who are you sponsored by?

I think my GTi is faster. 180 HP to the crank and god knows how many actually make it to the wheels. I have 6 gears to choose from which gives me a wide variety speeds at various RPM ranges. Super comfy recaro seats which keep me strapped in because of the enormous launch power. FActory programmed launch control ESP comes in handy. I have a rabbit emblem on the back which gives me and extra push incase I need it. ( :sarcasm:the whole thing)

Just curious, If your sponsored and being given cars to drive why would you want to leave all that? Who are you sponsored by?

haha, GTis are actually REALLY competitive cars, As are the Mini series of cars.

Leaving only because becoming a pilot is something that i've decided to do since i was young, Racing was meant to be a hobby for my dad and i to spend time together doing, He also raced when growing up and it is just a passion we both share. He was a Instructor for BMW Club of Canada, but more importantly my instructor/crewcheif/pitcrew for when i was racing in OSTS.

For SoloSprints... I currently hold only one title, I'm mainly sponsored by NeeTronics/SpeedTech, which is a local indy speed/tuning shop owned by a good buddy of ours, all labor is free and we can get pretty much anything below cost. I've also been testing some prototypes of products for the new 'GR' chassis, for both COBB and Crawford, and that too, pretty much gets me free parts. With that, all those who have their Regional 'A' license or any class of Regional license, for that matter, are entitled to 65% off Toyo Tires, Bell safety equipment, HANS devices ect.

Back