Sleep Apnea and FAA Approved Treatments

searay

Diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and awaiting FAA approval for Special Issuance. I am using a CPAP; but was wondering if an Oral Device was acceptable to the FAA as treatment. I have read that the Air Force is using a device referred to as TAP. What is that and will FAA accept that as a treatment option. Thanks
Searay

Diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and awaiting FAA approval for Special Issuance. I am using a CPAP; but was wondering if an Oral Device was acceptable to the FAA as treatment. I have read that the Air Force is using a device referred to as TAP. What is that and will FAA accept that as a treatment option. Thanks
Searay

Do you have more detail on that?

In the USAF, Apnea is a grounding condition. If you require a CPAP, according to Big Blue, that also means that you are not "worldwide deployable".

I'm interested to hear what TAP is....

From what I have read, TAP = Thornton Anterior Positioner. From my view point, the Sleep Disorder Doc's seem to push CPAP in the civilian world. I was not diagnosed with it until I retired from the Air Force / Air Force Reserves. I have read that the Air Force will accept TAP as a form of treatment for mild sleep apnea. Now, if that source (off of Google search) is creditable, I do not know. Mine is very mild according to the doc', a 7 on events. Some have as many as 150 or so from what I am told. My information is of no way professional, but from what I have read trying learn more about it. I have found this site to be the most informative yet when it comes to FAA and medical issues. Currently awaiting FAA decision on my Special Issuance letter.

Back