Part 135 as a career?

One of our guys carried 500lbs of US currency. I don't know if it $1s or 20s, but it was a LOT of money. There were armored trucks at both ends, and we had to bring a armed guard along in case they had to divert.

Another carried a Gorrila from for a zoo. It had it's own jumbo size doggie crate.

on different occassions i've hauled 2 body bags with bodies, 3 coffins with bodies, several injured eagles, dead eagles, 5 dead sea otters, a dog with porcupine quills in its face, a box of kittens whose mother got out of the box in flight and ran about the plane and too many more to list!!!!

I think i've met you before one time in Toluca. I remember talking to a Lear captain who mentioned he once flew one single bolt that fit in his pocket. I think it may have been ameristar...

quite possible, i know of a few guys that have done the one bolt trip at ameristar though.

Stupid question from the newbie...what is Part 135, and Part 121...what are the differences...and similarities..

I'll hang up and listen

Stupid question from the newbie...what is Part 135, and Part 121...what are the differences...and similarities..

I'll hang up and listen

Well, to make this as simple as possible, there are 3 basic parts of the Federal Aviation Regulations that must be adhered to while flying. The first is part 91. It is the broad list of rules for flying and applies to all pilots. Next is part 135. It is basically some stricter rules for operating as a commercial air carrier, ie hauling passengers or cargo for hire. Next is part 121 which is the rules for the airlines (people or cargo), the difference being that they are scheduled and fly larger aircraft. Basically, part 91 applies to all, 135 and 121 are more stringent rules for commercial aviation.

That'd be awesome, half the reason I'm afraid to leave the great white north is the pay cut I'll face, this is good news.

I think it all comes down to the type of aircraft youre flying. I would be willing to bet that any 135 captain jobs flying Gulfstreams, or anything larger is making over $100 k.

Hell, the place Im working now has a couple falcon 50's and I know the CA's are making about $95 k. Its not freight though.

on different occassions i've hauled 2 body bags with bodies, 3 coffins with bodies, several injured eagles, dead eagles, 5 dead sea otters, a dog with porcupine quills in its face, a box of kittens whose mother got out of the box in flight and ran about the plane and too many more to list!!!!

Sounds worthy of animal planet!

91, 135, 121...the differences? They're rather complex. Presumably you have a copy of the FAR/AIM. Read it. Yeah, it'll put you to sleep faster than a bottle of bourbon and a bj, but you're going to have to understand this stuff eventually, so soldier on.

As to ridiculous cargo, I can't hold a candle to the hard-core old school on-demand dudes, but I've had enough lab-rodents to turn me off to pet ownership for at least one lifetime and enough strangely-shaped aircraft/car parts that needed to be secured in a basically round compartment to increase my IQ test results by at least 10 points (I think I'm scraping a 110 now). They haven't done any favors for my back, either.

Back