The Ditching Button

What's with you and all this aviation safety BS? It's like you were a crip or something.

*flashes a gang sign*

I figured I'd try to invoke some discussions about professional aviation that didn't involve jumpseat denials, unions, hats, or GoJets. Something useful in developing the kind of pilot that could possibly pull off a ditching in the Hudson River after a dual engine failure. I'd rather sit next to a pilot who understood the concept of ditching and best glide speed, rather than one who could explain the GoJets fiasco backwards and forwards. I find myself next to the latter more these days.

Look at the resume of Captain Sullenberger.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/16/crash.pilot.profile/index.html#cnnSTCText

I figured I'd try to invoke some discussions about professional aviation that didn't involve jumpseat denials, unions, hats, or GoJets. Something useful in developing the kind of pilot that could possibly pull off a ditching in the Hudson River after a dual engine failure. I'd rather sit next to a pilot who understood the concept of ditching and best glide speed, rather than one who could explain the GoJets fiasco backwards and forwards. I find myself next to the latter more these days.

Poopy face!

The article was an interesting angle. I'm not even sure if there's a ditching procedure on the 757/767 because, in most circulstances, you've got a long time to think about it when you're drifting down over the ocean.

But on takeoff and initial climb... Hmm.... I guess I'll have to look!

I have one of these...

easy-button.jpg

Similar results.

-mini

From what I understand, the crew never used the ditch button. It was on page 3 of the checklist, and well, they never got that far...

Keep in mind, the checklist was designed to be used at FL350. Anybody up for a bet that a new checklist will be added?

From what I understand, the crew never used the ditch button. It was on page 3 of the checklist, and well, they never got that far...

Keep in mind, the checklist was designed to be used at FL350. Anybody up for a bet that a new checklist will be added?

I would say about 5-10 years down the road and everyone will wonder what that's all about.

I wonder if this guy is as bitter as most US Air pilots are?

The classic whale had such a switch. It related to equipment cooling.

I have done no research on the Airbus.

I do have to say it's amazing that the airplane didn't come apart when it hit the water.

Oh, and I'm glad I have 4 motors (I think)...

Question on that... We do a lot of single-engine taxiing. Is it possible to single engine taxi a 74?

The ATR has one as well. It closed the outflow valves to keep the thing as watertight as possible.

I think the only thing that can take a 747 down is volcanic ash. But then you can fire them back up on your way down.

Question on that... We do a lot of single-engine taxiing. Is it possible to single engine taxi a 74?

It is possible, in theory. Prolly not in practice. In practice you taxi on a min of 2 (1&4, unless somewhere in Russia where they require you to taxi on the inboards). Sometimes you taxi on 3

Back