Icon Aviation SEL/SES Sport plane

I saw this a few months back. It is awsome. If I had money to throw away, I would get one for sure. Looks like a lot of fun.

Old news :p

I have been following the Icon since about the beginning of the summer. Designed by some of the guys from Scaled Composites, looks great, and is feature packed. But as with many things, I think it's too good to be true.

You mentioned the lack of footage of the plane taking off from land. I was surprised that Icon did their first flight off the water, normally most budding seaplanes test of land first...I thought it was pretty cool.

At Oshkosh they had a full size mock-up on display, which was in the front folding and unfolding it's wings, and on the side on a trailer they had the one that actually flew. Why was it on a trailer? The one that flew has no landing gear! Yup, it's just a ASES right now...

Additionally a friend pointed out to me a serious design flaw...the spiffy canopy. The canopy is a glass bubble that hinges forward...this works fine for most normal planes, but the Icon is not normal - it's a seaplane. What's going to happen when someone leaves the gear down while landing on the water (and it will happen, there's potentially going to be brand new sport pilots owning and flying these). In the case of a gear down water landing, the plane would most likely flip, submerging the canopy. The water pressure will probably be too great for the pilot to open the canopy and escape. Many similar planes (Sea Ray) uses a sliding canopy because of this problem.

Finally, the price...it's pretty expensive, and as we all know, the price will only go up due to inflation, increased production costs, etc.

I wish them the best, because the Icon has potential to be an incredible plane, but I just don't see it making it.

I'd be cool having a 3 or 4 seater too.

I'm no engineer, but you'd need a bigger engine, stronger materials, added weight, lesser performance... then you're left with a lake renegade, which still can barely get off the water.

Only solution is my avatar :)

I have been following the Icon since about the beginning of the summer. Designed by some of the guys from Scaled Composites, looks great, and is feature packed. But as with many things, I think it's too good to be true.

You mentioned the lack of footage of the plane taking off from land. I was surprised that Icon did their first flight off the water, normally most budding seaplanes test of land first...I thought it was pretty cool.

At Oshkosh they had a full size mock-up on display, which was in the front folding and unfolding it's wings, and on the side on a trailer they had the one that actually flew. Why was it on a trailer? The one that flew has no landing gear! Yup, it's just a ASES right now...

Additionally a friend pointed out to me a serious design flaw...the spiffy canopy. The canopy is a glass bubble that hinges forward...this works fine for most normal planes, but the Icon is not normal - it's a seaplane. What's going to happen when someone leaves the gear down while landing on the water (and it will happen, there's potentially going to be brand new sport pilots owning and flying these). In the case of a gear down water landing, the plane would most likely flip, submerging the canopy. The water pressure will probably be too great for the pilot to open the canopy and escape. Many similar planes (Sea Ray) uses a sliding canopy because of this problem.

Finally, the price...it's pretty expensive, and as we all know, the price will only go up due to inflation, increased production costs, etc.

I wish them the best, because the Icon has potential to be an incredible plane, but I just don't see it making it.

That is a very good observation! I wonder if the production model will have a different design?

I'm no engineer, but you'd need a bigger engine, stronger materials, added weight, lesser performance... then you're left with a lake renegade, which still can barely get off the water.

Of course a bigger engine along with I'm sure many other design mods would be needed and would also take it out of the LSA category. But if the A5 does well and the company has the jingle to produce another model, I think at least 1 more seat would entice rated pilots (private/commercial, ATP) a little more by having a more functionality being able to take a third or fourth person along. Personally it would be great as is - for now. I could take the wife along, maybe a little bit of bags. But eventually a little mini me will show up and I'd like him/her to be able to go too.

Perhaps they have some sort of "ejection" device that would completely disengage the canopy at all points in an emergency. I have never seen the airplane, but it seems like this would be an obvious oversight that would certainly be caught before certification.

If I had the ability though to drop that kind of coin for a fun toy on amphibs it would be an AirCam.

Agreed! I'm going to hopefully get my multi sea in one over spring break!

Perhaps they have some sort of "ejection" device that would completely disengage the canopy at all points in an emergency. I have never seen the airplane, but it seems like this would be an obvious oversight that would certainly be caught before certification.

That's very possible, and I had not thought about it, and now I'm very curious. Maybe I'll send an email :)

Back