New Student Curveball...

aviator21114

Greetings,

I signed up a new student yesterday that's thrown me a curveball. He's Multi-Instrument-Commercial with no Single Engine Ratings.. Is going for his Single Engine Commercial and ultimately CFI (SE/ME)...

I haven't dug into this yet but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a course of action regarding a training syllibus/requirements...

Thanks to all in advance for your input...

Greetings,

I signed up a new student yesterday that's thrown me a curveball. He's Multi-Instrument-Commercial with no Single Engine Ratings.. Is going for his Single Engine Commercial and ultimately CFI (SE/ME)...

I haven't dug into this yet but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a course of action regarding a training syllibus/requirements...

Thanks to all in advance for your input...
I've had several like this, usually military pilots. There is no hour requirement for this training, it is proficiency only. The check ride is maneuvers only, and even then only some of them (he/she does not have to do steep turns again, for example); oral is systems and performance only. Nothing else. Check the PTS and look at 61.63(c)(4)- it is usually a fun check ride. Shoot me a PM if you want a copy of a syllabus I put together for it. I'll try to put a link for it on my website soon.

Just adding what was said above. I am guessing this is for Part 61. Can be normal fixed gear aircraft, not complex since that was shown with MEL.

The checkride will follow the PTS, more specifically the ratings task table. This is all the information that an examiner must follow to complete the add-on. That is what you need to train him/her to do.

I think, off the top of my head, you need Chandelles, lazy 8's, 8's on pylons, steep turns, short/soft field takeoffs/landings, and a power off approach to land. The examiner might hit slow flight and a stall series just to determine proficiency, although I don't believe it is required.

As far as the ground training, it's pretty simple. Systems on the aircraft and aerodynamics specific to the category and class of aircraft. And there is no complex requirement for the Commercial ASEL additional class rating since they already demonstrated the complex in the twin (Thanks jdlilfan).

Anything that was previously covered in the original oral examination, probably won't be covered because your student has already demonstrated the knowledge, however an examiner can ask any pertinant question during the oral exam.

The endorsements needed for the ride are a 61.63(C) for the added class (This acts like the 61.127(B)(1) for the commercial) and a 61.39(A)(6) just like any checkride. Then you need the back of the 8710 form or an e-signature on IACRA.

Any other questions, let me know. We do these all the time.

I just published a copy of the syllabus I use on my website. I did not change it, so it has a tail wheel course at the end. I designed the course to transition pilots from a government agency so they could fly tail wheel airplanes. At the time they were not sure if they just wanted a tail wheel transition at the end, or the entire course in a tail wheel.
Mark, believe it or not I just heard from a pilot who was told by the Baltimore FSDO that he had to comply with all the SEL requirements to get his CSEL- even though he has an ATP MEL and RW. To include cross country, etc.:banghead:

Get ready to say "More right rudder" many times. In a single engine plane the pedals actually do more than steer the craft during taxi :)

Back