Decided not to go for a life as a pro aviator

Yeah... I was going to say. I work with PAs and Orthopaedic surgeons everyday and they don't get (take) a lot of time off at all.

It's true that it varies. The PAs I know in Tulsa work 7 days on then 7 days off. The pay out does any RJ gig and no matter what you sleep in your own bed everynight.

I think sleeping in your own bed is underrated until you actually take a good look at the beds in the layover. I did and I wish I hadn't. I actually brought one of those sleeping bad liners to keep the critters off me. Besides, I know there was an FA that was bitten so bad she had to go to the hospital. Flew with an FA that saw her and said it was not pretty...

Good luck to you.

Be thankful you're making this decision prior to getting in a little or too deep.

For me it all gets back to doing something meaningful. One more hour in a log book, one more approach. . .tough to really find much value and anything meaningful in that - no matter how hard I've been trying.

Unfortunately I'm not neccessarily ready to throw my work up to this point into the trash and will of course give my aviation career a little longer before I end up placing it on the bookshelf to gather dust.

Best of luck to you though, I also know a PAs, except unlike mtsu_av8rs buddy they actually greatly enjoy the job and wouldn't want to be doing anything else. They're each happy and are pleased with the overall meaning of their careers.

Congratulations on making your decision. I am sure that being a great PA has it's rewards as well. Now that you have made you decision it's time to get busy on your journey. :)

Congratulations on your decision. I, too, made a similiar decision however I'm not leaving aviation. I refuse to subject myself to the aimless pursuit of 121 flying given the track record of the industry over the past few years. Sure I could probably get on with a carrier in about 3-5 years, but during the same time, I could be flying a Super King Air 350 and being typed in jet turbine a/c as well and have more continuity in terms of a Part 91/135 career.

As I've said before, for some the 121 world is the s***; while for others...it ain't about s***.

atp

Once again I feel that I have to point out that the airlines are not the only route if you have aspirations of flying professionally. Your reasons for not wanting to follow the airline career path are valid, but not for giving up entirely on a career as a pilot (IMHO).

Good luck with your chosen path though.

Good luck with your decision. I am one of those who DID do a career change and am now flying as FO on reserve for a regional. The QOL leaves much to be desired and the pay sucks, but it's terrific other than that. I love the challenge of landing in all kinds of weather, a "job well done" from my passengers and captain, no two flights are ever the same and the crews I work with are wonderful, helpful people. Really a terrific job imho. I've done the 8-5 office thing for quite a while and made great money, but hated my work and it was probably the most unfulfilling work I have ever done. This the most satisfying work I have ever done; but it's not for everyone and there are a lot of sacrifices you have to make -- time away from friends and family on the holidays being one of them. I wish you all the very best, you have to do what's right for YOU.

Good luck and God bless. I made a similar decision a while back, so I know how you feel. It's a tough decision, but if you feel that this is right for you, then go for it.

I am a PA. I fly for Chautauqua Airlines and I work in an endocrinology office 1-2days a week. I am lucky to get to do both. Remember, that is another option. I always have $$ and a good back up plan.

As others have said, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I also left another - what had become unfulfilling - career for the 121 world. Everything you mentioned in your original post are the things that I love about the job. The significant pay cut I took to come here is starting to eat at me, but as luck would have it, the current economy has created a demand for contractors with my skillset, so now I am doing it part time. You never know what doors will open.

There are ways to make this "hobby" of aviation work for itself, and teaching others is a great way to do it, and highly rewarding I might add. Could still be an option for you down the road, plus working through and achieving those ratings through CFI/II/MEI is and was for me an awesome experience.

We have a good friend that is a PA; he does work a lot, and works in clinics on weekends for extra money, but he enjoys his work and always has good stories to tell.

Whatever you do, do what you love, love what you do, and give it your all. Good luck!

Well, it’s official. After a long year of thinking it over I have decided I will NOT pursue a career in aviation. I don’t have to get into to the details of how hard and risky this field can be as you pros out there know way more about it than me. But one of the last things that got me was a picture I saw of NWA DC-9 on short final with the view from the cockpit. It’s a classic “what’s wrong with this picture” kind of thing. Well, it’s clear that the F/O is AT LEAST 10 years older than the captain. I’d hate to hear that poor fella’s story.
Anyway, I was willing to put up with a whole lot. But as much as I absolutely love flying I think I’m the kind of guy where the honey moon feeling would wear off. Yeah, I look up at everything from an ATR to a 747-400 coming down into KIAD and wish, wish, wish that I could experience that. Getting pushed out from the gate, getting passengers safely to their destination with gusting cross-winds and storms on the way. Follow the river into KDCA, see T-storms off to the side from 36,000. I could go on and on. That all being said, I just can’t handle the possibility of spending all that time and money and walking such a tough road of low pay, tons of roommates, hotels and reserve life to finally get to my 4th or 5th year in the right seat of an RJ and then all of the sudden my airline goes under. All without a single hour of 121 PIC time. I’m thinking about going to PA school instead. The salary and time off would give me plenty of opportunity to buzz around in rentals out of KHEF and have fun with the greatest safety pilot of all time…my dear old dad who was a huge supporter through this whole thought process.

I don’t want any of this to sound negative or discourage any others out there thinking of following their dream. If you love it and it’s what you want more than anything….GO FOR IT! I’m actually jealous of those out there who have made such a bold career change in honor of something they truly love. My hat’s off to you. I guess I just didn’t want it bad enough.
I’ll keep poking my head around here as I will continue to fly with my PPL, this site is a great resource for any type of pilot.

Mainly I wanted take the time to give a big thanks to all the people who have taken time to talk to me and to all who always share their stories, give their advice and make this website the wonderful source of information that it has become. Of course, special thanks to DT for starting it all. You da man!

Good post. And actually I think it's just as bold for you not to pursue this career as it is to pursue it. I think it's fair to say that there are many of us who have had second thoughts about whether pursuing this career was the right thing to do especially since so many of us are educated. I still think being a pilot is probably the best job one can have however that's pretty much all there is to it. Eventually you'll have to think about life itself when you get back on the ground. All of my friends have now moved on from college, some have decent careers others are still starting out. But all of them have a normal lifestyle and a couple of them have already made down payments for houses and BMWs, weddings are not too far off in the distance. I'm still junior and trying to figure things out in this career stuck in hotels or on reserve. The lifestyle is very difficult and leaves very little opportunity to have a normal life especially when you are junior in this business. Yes eventually you will make it to the mountain top but at what cost? There are many other higher paying careers that I had interests in but I was unfortunate to get the flying bug:) Once you get that, there is no turning back! Good luck

I'm sick of people using the cliche of "peaks and valley" for this career. Theres lucky and not so lucky. Peaks and valleys are great when it doesn't involve a poential valley at the age of 40+ years old and having to start all over again from the bottom. That IS the scary part. All other cons aside that IS the freaky part. If you hit a "valley" at the wrong time in the wrong place at the wrong age you REALLY have potential of a WTF do I do now moment. You could have all kinds of seniority, decent pay, and all those things we as Pro pilots work toward but never have I seen a career that could so quickly take that away and then make you start from the bottom again. There are not too many jobs out there that are that unforgiving in that sense. Good luck on your new career path! Its a smart choice that will afford you the time and $$$ to enjoy flying on your terms.

I like what someone else said about the airlines not being the only options. I have flown Part 135/91 Learjets now for less than a year and make 4-5 year RJ FO wages as a Lear FO. Also we only stay in Hilton/Marriott chains, so bedbugs never a problem. With my current company we'll probably fly 200-250 hours/year and 8-12 overnights per month. Yeah, I will probably never get to fly the 777 or A380 but I personally don't understand the draw of being a busdriver in the sky, besides easy F/A's....

Good Luck!!

Good luck with your decision. I am one of those who DID do a career change and am now flying as FO on reserve for a regional. The QOL leaves much to be desired and the pay sucks, but it's terrific other than that. I love the challenge of landing in all kinds of weather, a "job well done" from my passengers and captain, no two flights are ever the same and the crews I work with are wonderful, helpful people. Really a terrific job imho. I've done the 8-5 office thing for quite a while and made great money, but hated my work and it was probably the most unfulfilling work I have ever done. This the most satisfying work I have ever done; but it's not for everyone and there are a lot of sacrifices you have to make -- time away from friends and family on the holidays being one of them. I wish you all the very best, you have to do what's right for YOU.

It was a very tough choice for me to bailout. There will probably never be a day I see a jetliner in the air and don't have a little sadness and regret.

Glad it's working out for you so far. I wish you the best as well.

I'm sick of people using the cliche of "peaks and valley" for this career. Theres lucky and not so lucky. Peaks and valleys are great when it doesn't involve a poential valley at the age of 40+ years old and having to start all over again from the bottom. That IS the scary part. All other cons aside that IS the freaky part. If you hit a "valley" at the wrong time in the wrong place at the wrong age you REALLY have potential of a WTF do I do now moment. You could have all kinds of seniority, decent pay, and all those things we as Pro pilots work toward but never have I seen a career that could so quickly take that away and then make you start from the bottom again. There are not too many jobs out there that are that unforgiving in that sense. Good luck on your new career path! Its a smart choice that will afford you the time and $$$ to enjoy flying on your terms.

:yeahthat:

I probably could not have made a major until I was at least 40. Sure, that can work out fine for many people but definitely a risk I wasn't willing to take.

Thanks again to all for your responses.

You know what? Don't feel bad for your choice, you never know what will happen. If it feels right to not be a part of it go with your gut.

I went with my gut and life has turned out even better than had I not. Had all my ratings and time and interviews lined up and left it on the table. Glad I did now.

It doesnt mean you have to leave aviation, once its in you it doesnt leave.

Back