Depression, OCD, ADD, and PDD-therapy

ktsai91

You know, I was thinking of instead of treating all of my disorders with medication, I was thinking of treating them with therapy. Of course, I will talk to my psychiatrist about it. Just wondering, is doing therapy much better than taking medications because it'll avoid the automatic disqualification of taking medications that are disqualifying? Should I have done therapy from the start when I was diagnosed with all these disorders to avoid getting disqualified with medications?

You know, I was thinking of instead of treating all of my disorders with medication, I was thinking of treating them with therapy. Of course, I will talk to my psychiatrist about it. Just wondering, is doing therapy much better than taking medications because it'll avoid the automatic disqualification of taking medications that are disqualifying? Should I have done therapy from the start when I was diagnosed with all these disorders to avoid getting disqualified with medications?

Apparently these problems are part of your daily life. im in no way trying to be a jerk or put you down, but instead of trying to find ways to slide past the medical qualifications or to become a sport pilot, maybe you should be more focused on just being healthy. just because you can be a pilot doesnt mean you should.

do you believe you could be a safe and competent pilot at all times in the air? remember, you're not the only one up there and we all want to be safe!

hope all goes well for you!

get better!

-Mike

Since you're on medications, I'm surprised you're not already in therapy. The problem is the two are apples and oranges. Therapy is not going to immediately cause the same chemical changes in your brain that the medications are. You can't go off of medications like that cold turkey, it will be devastating. Do what you said and talk to your psychiatrist about it. Let them know that your goal is to get off medication and draft up a plan to do it.

You have the wrong impression. It is also the underlying diagnosis, not necessarily the medication that is disqualifying.

You have the wrong impression. It is also the underlying diagnosis, not necessarily the medication that is disqualifying.

I too had that impression, that it was the medications. so having that diagnosis will/may disqualify you from getting a medical but may allow you to be a sport pilot?

please tell me im wrong, because any airplane, from a LSA to a Commercial Airliner is/can be dangerous if something were to happen with the pilot.

You have to self certify for SP but you also have to not fly if you have a significant medical condition that is dangerous. 14 CFR Paragraph 61.23 states "Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner".

Hey man, let me square you away on something. Don't just quit the meds because you want to fly. We ALL want to fly. But there is a SAFE way of doing things and an UNSAFE way of doing things. Cold turkey on the meds is not the way to do it. Cold turkey can and probably will cause things like seizures, stroke, and convulsions. That will open up another can of worms that will be reportable to the FAA, and will make it even harder to get the coveted medical certificate you are after. Show some common sense, and get your doctor to taper you off the meds gradually, that way, if you run into problems, it will be a quick and easy fix to readjust your dosage and keep you out of trouble mentally. If your doctor happens to be a quack, ( a few of them are) see another doctor for a second opinion, but take your FULL medical file with you for him to review. Do NOT try to hide anything from him, because if you do, I can promise you it will catch up with you a lot sooner than you think.
I can relate to your situation, but if you don't show some common sense in regard for your own safety on the ground, then it is questionable as to your judgement regarding safety in the air. Remember, one of the symptoms of being impaired, is not being aware of the fact that you are impaired. You can eventually get a 3rd class, most likely, but you are showing a lot of anxiety and too much anxiety is also disqualifying. Just take your time, you are in too big of a hurry. If you do it right, it could take you at least two years or more, but I think it can be done, as long as you don't make foolish decisions this early in the game and screw it all up before you even get started. I am not an AME or a doctor, but I have seen several cases similar to yours. I think if you get with a competent doctor you can work with, one that will work with you in a professional manner to help you achieve your goal, you can do it. But don't just up and quit the meds without professinal guidance. If you do, you can do irreparable damage to your brain that will ensure that you NEVER get a medical certificate. Do it the right way man. It can probably be done, but it will take time. I think, under your circumstances, that you will have to show no signs of symptoms for a lot more than just 90 days though. IMHO, I think you will have to be able to go at least 3 to 5 years with no meds and no symptoms before the FAA will even consider you, based on the numerous diagnoses you have. At that point, you just may have a shot at it. But right now, I don't think you have a chance this early in the game. Even if you go sport pilot at first, I think you will still need to carry a letter from your doctor with you when you fly saying that you are safe to fly. After carrying that letter with you while flying for 3-5 years, they just might qualify you with a third class certificate after you pass a battery of psych tests. Don't ever give up, but don't ever do anything foolish or unsafe, either. For now, just work with your doctor and get him to "TAPER" you off the meds, one at a time, and see how it goes.

You have to self certify for SP but you also have to not fly if you have a significant medical condition that is dangerous. 14 CFR Paragraph 61.23 states "Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner".

Just wondering, is depression, OCD, ADD, and PDD considered dangerous to sport pilot? Could I self-certify if I have these disorders? I think in many cases, my disorders are mild nowadays compared to what I was a year ago.

As I stated in my previous reply, I am not a Doctor or an AME. I cannot advise you regarding medical or legal matters. However, that being said, I will add this much. To begin with, you will not be able to fly as a sport pilot unless you take the required training from a flight instructor that is qualified to give flight instruction to sport pilot students. I would advise you to present him with a letter from your doctor stating that you are considered safe in his opinion to take flying lessons to obtain a sport pilot certificate. The flight instructor may want to verify the validity of the letter with your doctor, and just may give him a call to verify that he actually did write the letter, and also may have a question or two for the doctor regarding your ability to operate an aircraft in a safe manner. I think he will want to make sure that you are not a danger to yourself or to others, more than anything else.
Once that part is done, and if the doctor gives the flight instructor a good report, then the flight instructor will probably take you up for a few lessons and will be watching you a little closer than usual to make sure you are not showing any apparent symptomology of any of your disorders, and to make sure you are abosrbing the training and are operating the aircraft in a safety-conscious manner. Believe me, if the flight instructor thinks you might be a safety hazard with wings, he will certainly not give you the sign off needed to qualify to take the final flight test to get your sport pilot certificate. No certificate, No flying as PIC. As long as you can demonstrate to the flight instructor that you are safety-conscious, that you are aware of and abide by the FAR's as they pertain to general aviation, and that you can maintain a consistent train of thought and maintain control of the aircraft in an emergency situation, such as an engine out, etc., then you will probably do ok. You might require a little more training than the average student pilot due to your disadvantage, but you can probably turn that disadvantage into a positive if you really want to, and I think you do. After all, I saw a woman on TV just the other day who got her private pilot certificate and she has no arms, none whatsoever, both arms cut off at the shoulder. She flys the aircraft with her feet. So anything is possible, if you want to do it bad enough.
I don't think you will be able to disprove your diagnoses, but if you think you can function normally without the medication over a period of time, you can probably succeed. However, if you need the medication, then do not fly as PIC. Go up with someone else. Because flying and psychotropic medication do not mix. Sorta like driving and drinking. Sooner or later it is gonna bite you, and someone else could likely die along with you as a result of your indiscretion. And that would put a major dark cloud on the sport pilot "drivers license medical" option for all the rest of the sport pilots out there, possibly resulting in the FAA requiring medical certificates for sport pilots if you get yourself and/or someone else hurt because you chose to fly when you were not fit to.
But remember this, above all else. Dr. Forred quoted the regulations to you, and it has to be followed to the letter.
Originally Posted by My Flight Surgeon
You have to self certify for SP but you ALSO have to not fly if you have a significant medical condition that is dangerous. 14 CFR Paragraph 61.23 states "Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner".

Just wondering, is depression, OCD, ADD, and PDD considered dangerous to sport pilot? Could I self-certify if I have these disorders? I think in many cases, my disorders are mild nowadays compared to what I was a year ago.

Kid, you're scaring the hell out of me, and only because you'd be flying over where I live.

Before you even think about trying to be a pilot, you need to fix your problems. I hate to come off like an ass, but flying a plane isn't driving a car. You can't pull over.

Its obvious by the number of posts you have on this subject (just search your posts), that you have an obsessing problem with this. Thats what scares the hell out of me. You're so determined to get this done that you are completely ignoring common sense and trying to find a way around the regulations. Then in one post, you want to be an AME so you can change the regulations.?.?

Understanding the fact that you are only 17 and I take that in account, you certainly don't come off on this forum as being mentally fit to fly an aircraft. You just need to chill out dude.

The conditions you have can surely be taken care of with a good plan from your doctor. My cousin has many of the things you have and he is doing really really well with a treatment plan from his doctor. SO what if you need to put off flying for a few years while you get things in order. No big deal. Airplanes will still be there and I'm pretty sure the sky will too.

For the love of God and everybody on the ground, stay away from airplanes until you complete a good treatment plan with your doctor. Get into RC airplanes, those things are fun as hell. I'll even meet up with you in Jersey and fly some RC's with ya. Its an expensive hobby, but provided you don't fly one directly at your head, its pretty safe and its wickedly cool fun. Especially if you have a small camera to mount on the plane!!

You'll get to fly man, you'll get to "fulfill your dreams". Just don't rush. Take care your health - physical and mental - before you even think about leaving the ground behind the controls of an airplane. Its dangerous if you're not on top of your game. ;)

I have good news for myself. The good news is that I should be off the medications by this summer at least. I'm currently at a stable but not maximum dosage. She says that she'll start lowering my meds by spring and be off by this summer. However, my mom thinks it's not a good idea.

However, I don't know what materials I should provide in my documentation once I'm off the meds. Anyone can help me on this?

I have good news for myself. The good news is that I should be off the medications by this summer at least. I'm currently at a stable but not maximum dosage. She says that she'll start lowering my meds by spring and be off by this summer. However, my mom thinks it's not a good idea.

However, I don't know what materials I should provide in my documentation once I'm off the meds. Anyone can help me on this?

kid, you act like a horse with blinders on. the meds are only the half of it, even if you can wean yourself off them, the underlying diagnosis is whats going to get you. whats done cant be undone. since you've been diagnosed with Depression, OCD, ADD, and PDD, i highly doubt you will be able to get a 3rd, let alone a 1st class medical, meds or no meds.

Update: My mom plans to send me to a social skills group for my PDD problem in January. I'm excited for it! Finally, I'm getting therapy! My depression has been getting better, a little down here and there but nothing to worry about. OCD, still here and there but improving. Finally I get therapy. I've noticed that I don't have to do some OCD rituals anymore like putting on and off my shoes. I have been focusing hard in school lately. I got A's and B's so the ADD problem is getting better as well.

o.k. i've been following this thread since it started, and was amazed with it. after consulting a nurse about your situation(my mom) and her boss(an MD), they both told me YOU NEED TO SEEK A SECOND OPNION. it souns like with all of your supposed diagnostics, either you have a mother who couldent handle a child, or a doctor who over medicates for everyday common issues. read the side affects for most of the drugs, and one drug will usually cause side affects which will cause the need of the other drug, which will cause another side affect-etc-etc-etc. when i was a kid, i had a hard time in school, and the doctor/my mother both agreed i had ADD. well as it turns out, I DIDNT. i just didnt want to be there. when i was on riddlen, i could never sleep at night, so i quit takeing it. then i started sleeping better, started caring about my grades (all be it for 1 semester), and started doing good. i honestly think that more than half of the cases of disorders are miss-diagnosed as a need for a good a$$-whipin.

get a second opnion from a new doctor. i'm not a doctor, but there are way to many cases of ADD/ADHD/OCD these days. i think it is an over used term for many normal everyday daydreamers. as for OCD, all my money in my wallet has to face the same way, if there is an open drawer, cabinet it drives me nuts, and the toothpast cap must be closed. i guess this means I have OCD, and I should be stripped of my medical:crazy:. if there is hope, there is a way. i recently read an article of a man who had his medical re-instated after a heart transplant. fight the good fight and find a way around! there is hope.

o.k. i've been following this thread since it started, and was amazed with it. after consulting a nurse about your situation(my mom) and her boss(an MD), they both told me YOU NEED TO SEEK A SECOND OPNION. it souns like with all of your supposed diagnostics, either you have a mother who couldent handle a child, or a doctor who over medicates for everyday common issues. read the side affects for most of the drugs, and one drug will usually cause side affects which will cause the need of the other drug, which will cause another side affect-etc-etc-etc. when i was a kid, i had a hard time in school, and the doctor/my mother both agreed i had ADD. well as it turns out, I DIDNT. i just didnt want to be there. when i was on riddlen, i could never sleep at night, so i quit takeing it. then i started sleeping better, started caring about my grades (all be it for 1 semester), and started doing good. i honestly think that more than half of the cases of disorders are miss-diagnosed as a need for a good a$$-whipin.

get a second opnion from a new doctor. i'm not a doctor, but there are way to many cases of ADD/ADHD/OCD these days. i think it is an over used term for many normal everyday daydreamers. as for OCD, all my money in my wallet has to face the same way, if there is an open drawer, cabinet it drives me nuts, and the toothpast cap must be closed. i guess this means I have OCD, and I should be stripped of my medical:crazy:. if there is hope, there is a way. i recently read an article of a man who had his medical re-instated after a heart transplant. fight the good fight and find a way around! there is hope.

:yeahthat: Me too! Nice and orderly, arranged in ascending order...small (on top) to large. :p

:yeahthat: Me too! Nice and orderly, arranged in ascending order...small (on top) to large. :p

....all of it facing the same way and no wrinkles or bills folded over at all, right? Glad I'm not the only one...:panic:

Back