when you go on strike

where do you protest? Is it ever in front of paying passengers at major airports?

Hopefully not, because the airline that is being struck should not be flying. Therefore, there would not be any passengers.

But, usually picketing events are in front of the airport in various places (all dependent on the individual airport) and in front of the corporate HQ. Also, they will be held at shareholders' meetings.

Most airports limit picketing events to a specified number of picketers and specified places in the airport. I have only picketed at IAH and EWR so I only know those two. IAH let us picket at curb-side check-in, inside ticketing, baggage claim, and passenger pick-up with a maximum of ten picketers per group. We had hundreds of pilots show up so we alternated every ten or so minutes.

Hopefully not, because the airline that is being struck should not be flying. Therefore, there would not be any passengers.

But, usually picketing events are in front of the airport in various places (all dependent on the individual airport) and in front of the corporate HQ. Also, they will be held at shareholders' meetings.

Most airports limit picketing events to a specified number of picketers and specified places in the airport. I have only picketed at IAH and EWR so I only know those two. IAH let us picket at curb-side check-in, inside ticketing, baggage claim, and passenger pick-up with a maximum of ten picketers per group. We had hundreds of pilots show up so we alternated every ten or so minutes.

Does anyone come up and ask about it? Is there any benefit gained in the public picketing v. doing it at shareholder meetings?

so you guys can't put a shirt on that has a message of what your airline is doing to it's own employees. Then go buy a burger from mcdonalds so that you are not trespassing sit there and eat slowly

Does anyone come up and ask about it? Is there any benefit gained in the public picketing v. doing it at shareholder meetings?

A few folks would ask and most were genuinely curious. As far as public picketing goes, most companies would rather not have the public embarrassment. Some think it is a badge of honor :confused:.

so you guys can't put a shirt on that has a message of what your airline is doing to it's own employees. Then go buy a burger from mcdonalds so that you are not trespassing sit there and eat slowly

You could but, it would not be considered professional. Pilot picketing events are much different than those of other trades. We do not chant, shout, or make any other noise. What we do is march in a line or a racetrack pattern, in uniform, and hold a sign with what our beef is. It looks very militaristic.

A few folks would ask and most were genuinely curious. As far as public picketing goes, most companies would rather not have the public embarrassment. Some think it is a badge of honor :confused:.

You must be talking about United. :D

I can't believe it, our flight attendants don't even know/believe what we make. At our company party yesterday a guy asked me what I made... he said, you make 125/hr right. I laughed and said no "25"..... he said, c'mon, you can be honest with me.... at one point he got down to 75 but then I finally got through to him.

Honestly, I wish we had stickers for our bags that said something like "we do want to get you to your destination today but 99% of us are willing to strike at a moments notice. Thanks for flying!" The whole 99% thing doesn't do enough to stick it to the man.

That 99% sticker you have looks good and I think most pilots know what it means. But, I seriously doubt any pax do. But, that is not the point. The point is to let your management know that 99% are ready and willing.

BTW, do you know a guy that works for yall (pretty sure is ATL based, used to be MEM) that is originally from Newnan? Bill R.? East Coweta HS '94?

Back