Niagara Falls

Holocene

Took these a few months ago. Need a better camera.

Almost debated turning back en route:

clouds-1.jpg

Niagara1.jpg

Niagara3.jpg

Niagara2.jpg

The pics are actually preety good! I think your camera is fine, but there is never a reason not to upgrade!:rawk:

Cool, I will be flying out of BQR which is a small airfield in Lancaster, NY. You fly down to Scranton yet? Looks like a nice place to fly into.

Closest to there I've been was IAG. Farthest west (and south) I've ever been was Erie, PA. After I got my private I did numerous XC's northeast over the Adirondacks and into VT & NH. It's nice to fly over some real scenery with actual VFR checkpoints.....instead of over that barren, featureless flatland that comprises western NY...:p

Closest to there I've been was IAG. Farthest west (and south) I've ever been was Erie, PA. After I got my private I did numerous XC's northeast over the Adirondacks and into VT & NH. It's nice to fly over some real scenery with actual VFR checkpoints.....instead of over that barren, featureless flatland that comprises western NY...:p

lol...I agree.. I'm looking fwd to exploring the Northeast.

Cool, I will be flying out of BQR which is a small airfield in Lancaster, NY. You fly down to Scranton yet? Looks like a nice place to fly into.

Scranton is a great airport to fly into, I've been there a few times. Another one I always loved flying into was Franklin, PA. Great little airport with a nice Italian restaurant right on the field.

- Nate

Scranton is a great airport to fly into, I've been there a few times. Another one I always loved flying into was Franklin, PA. Great little airport with a nice Italian restaurant right on the field.

- Nate

I drove down to Princeton, NJ in Sept and passed Scranton on the way and told myself I got to fly into this place. Some beautiful country down there.

Nice Pics! Did you have to get ATC permission to fly over falls? I seem to recall there is some sort of prohibited or restricted area around the falls...

Nice Pics! Did you have to get ATC permission to fly over falls? I seem to recall there is some sort of prohibited or restricted area around the falls...

In general, simply stay above 3,500', and there's no special procedures to be concerned with. I forget exactly how high I was, but ATC also told me to make "right traffic", which seemed a bit ambiguous in terms of where/when to initiate the turns. There was a LOT of traffic when I was there. Took some pics and got the hell out! Oh yeah, ATC also provided a CTAF frequency that is used exclusively for overflight traffic.

look at the special notices section of the northeast A/FD, it provides all the info you need, including a diagram.

PEO FTW!
...then again, the whole upstate area is great for flying. Canandaigua is soon to extend their runway and be a bit more accessible (private field, but is opening more to the public, hence the funding for the runway), from what I last heard.

Those are some great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Ive never seen the Falls but I bet from the air its a whole different story.

Back