Career Path

secondshot

I have applied to PUBNAT 4 and scored well qualified on the AT-SAT. I just recently received my geographical preferences email. My goal is to eventually end up in a high-level tower. Does anyone know how people usually end up in a high-level tower? Do they usually move up from lower-level towers or do they transfer from enroute centers?

I have applied to PUBNAT 4 and scored well qualified on the AT-SAT. I just recently received my geographical preferences email. My goal is to eventually end up in a high-level tower. Does anyone know how people usually end up in a high-level tower? Do they usually move up from lower-level towers or do they transfer from enroute centers?

You can go to as high of a level facility as your ability allows assuming that the facility you want to go to has openings.

It is much easier to move from a lower level tower to a higher level tower than to move straight from a center to a higher level tower...

Submit for terminal only and take whatever they give you. Then when you get checked out and proficient you can bid to whatever facility you want (provided they have an opening and your mgr lets you go).

Submit for terminal only and take whatever they give you. Then when you get checked out and proficient you can bid to whatever facility you want (provided they have an opening and your mgr lets you go).

This is true unless you end up in an understaffed tower. If this happens you won't be allowed to transfer out.

Just a thought.

My dad is a controller in ZFW who has buddies in DFW: The buddies said that there are several new hires slotted for DFW which is a higher level tower.

What would be nice to know is what places need people, who has slated newbies, and what places are just really hurting for controllers. I know there is a link out there (and has been posted in here numerous times), but unfortunately we are no longer in 2006 which is when that data was supplied.

zz :)

What would be nice to know is what places need people, who has slated newbies, and what places are just really hurting for controllers. I know there is a link out there (and has been posted in here numerous times), but unfortunately we are no longer in 2006 which is when that data was supplied.

The only info that I have from my dad and brother (who are both controllers) is that nearly everywhere is hurting, or will be in the next few years. All the guys who came in after the PATCO strike in '83 are getting ready to retire (including my pops). Until the FAA trains replacements, they are letting people with a good record (no recent deals) renew a yearly contract until they retire or until they have a deal. (My dad is one of those guys. He is about to turn 56 and has already renewed his contract for one year)
Apparently there are a bunch of ppl doing this.

The only info that I have from my dad and brother (who are both controllers) is that nearly everywhere is hurting, or will be in the next few years. All the guys who came in after the PATCO strike in '83 are getting ready to retire (including my pops). Until the FAA trains replacements, they are letting people with a good record (no recent deals) renew a yearly contract until they retire or until they have a deal. (My dad is one of those guys. He is about to turn 56 and has already renewed his contract for one year)
Apparently there are a bunch of ppl doing this.

If I marry you can you Dad get me into ZFW quicker?

I don't think Doug Taylor intended JC as the love connection, but hey, whatever works!

Thanks for the info TT. I was just wondering what state would be better to pick than the others (besides GA and FL ;) ) so you would be more easily picked up.

For what it's worth, I tried to get into a facility in the DFW area and they were all full. I think Pubnat1 got most of the available critical DFW spots.

That I'm going to marry you. ......... :sarcasm:

IMG_0011-1.jpg

Back