Herniated disc (Disc Protrusion)

PA-44typed

I am dealing with a Herniated disc (Disc Protrusion).
I am taking Amrix 15 MG and Oxycodone 7.5-325 MG. Yesterday I also had an epidural. I am still a few weeks from returning to work, but I am curious as to how long I need to wait after taking the Amrix, Oxycodone and the epidural before getting back in the cockpit?

You need to be off these medications for at least 24 hours. I would also say you need to be released for full activity by your physician before you go back to flying.

BrewMaster,

Could you be a little more specific? What “surgery” are you referring to?

Minimally Invasive Discectomy
Minimally Invasive Laminotomy/Discectomy
Laminectomy
Spinal Fusion Surgery
Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion

I guess it was more of a broad suggestion. I was just saying don't nurse it. Maybe it was a lack of research on my behalf, but I didn't know that the disc stayed herniated. I thought once I started feeling better that the disc "retracted." I was later told that the disc is always herniated and when I thought I re-herniated it, I was actually just reminding my nerves that it was still there.

There would be days were I couldn't even sit up out of bed, literally. Other days I could only stand or lie down, no use of the restroom at all. I was miserable, and I'm only 23.

I weighed the options and my doctor and I came to the conclusion that three "re-herniations" in 1 year coupled with only being 23 would probably lead to a lifetime of pain, and eventually a crooked spine, arthritits and a crappy attitude from walking like I had a cob in my ___. I don't know how bad yours is or how old you are, but after a while it won't take much more than a strong fart(not literally) to re-injure it.

I feel your pain. This was easily the worst pain I've ever had, a pressure fracture in my wrist and dislocated knee would be next. It hurts just thinking about it. If yours is even close to this I would recommend surgery. I don't know the exact surgery I had, but I do know it was in the Discectomy/Laminectomy realm. They just went in through the lower back, cut through muscle, cut off the protrusion and sewed everything back up. He compared it to smashing a jelly donut and wiping off the jelly that squirted out. Typically all of the fusion surgeries are reserved for people who have had the Discectomy/Laminectomy surgery once or twice and keep re-injuring it. For the first surgery though, they would only do the Discectomy/Laminectomy stuff.

The surgery itself only took about an hour maybe a little more. I was in the hospital overnight, and was home the next day. The recovery time isn't too rough. You will probably be in bed anywhere from 3-7 days, depending on how well you handled it. I was told to lift no more than 10 pounds for 4 weeks and then increase that by 5 pounds every week thereafter. It only kept me from flying for maybe 3-4 weeks. The doctor will tell you not to sit upright for more than 15-20 minutes at a time during that time.

So my original point is that I did the painkiller route and tried to tough it out as long as possible, but realized I was just kidding myself. I would highly recommend the surgery for your long-term health, but if yours isn't very bad, and you think you can overcome then by all means. Hopefully this helps. Hopefully you start feeling better.

Get surgery.

The current evidence in the medical literature (British Medical Journal) says the results are the same at one year for surgery vs. conservative management. Why would you want to have have back surgery? There is always going to be a residual discomfort and recurrent muscle spasms after this surgery (been ther and done that - twice).

Take the conservative route.

I am going to physical therapy 3 times per week, it is helping me recognize things like poor posture and poor muscle control. But it has done nothing for the pane. I am getting pressured by work to return, in fact I was given 6 weeks total medical leave, after that I have to return or I will be terminated. So I’m kind of in a rock and a hard place. My Dr hasn’t said anything about surgery yet. I’m only 30 so I really don’t want to go down that road yet anyway if possible. I have to get back to work in less than 3 weeks or I face unemployment.

Ouch, I guess don't know what to tell you. One thing I've learned that gets little mention is STRETCHING. My hamstrings were extremely tight and I would struggle to touch my knees with straight legs. My Dr. did a great job of drawing me a picture of exactly the mechanics of my hamstrings work and what they pull on. I was then convinced to stretch day and night.

Pop pills, stretch, physical therapy, stretch. Drink. Accrue sick leave. Then if that doesn't work maybe get the surgery eventually. I understand you can't get it now, but if it is to the point where it's a "disability" then you owe it to yourself to wake up and feel great in the morning. Good luck!!

I have been in the same position you are. lay on your couch/bed put a pillow or two under your knees and simply do not move. Get a few movies, some books and just relax for a few days. When you sleep force yourself to stay on your back, I also find it helpful to not use a pillow, maybe that is just me though.

After that, work on proper stretching and strengthening of the area. A problem I found were extremely tight hamstrings. I started off stretching them daily, once the pain was gone, and have moved on to light straight leg dead lifts and some lower back extensions to help strengthen the surrounding area.

It has been almost 4 years since I have had a recurrance and I have even been able to go back to playing ice hockey. I had to quit when I was 20 due to the amount of pain it caused from putting pressure directly on the disc.

Good luck and feel better. I wouldnt wish that pain on anyone.

Start with aggressive PT and pills. I had an injury in 2001, played tough guy and ended up having a Laminotomy/Discectomy in 2005, which worked great for about 18 months, then I blew the disc out and was bone on bone. Went in for the fusion about a year ago and am getting back into running. Try to avoid the surgery if you can! Pm if you want any info or just to commiserate with someone who has been there done that.

There is always going to be a residual discomfort and recurrent muscle spasms after this surgery (been ther and done that - twice). Take the conservative route.

Perhaps I challenged statistical outcomes and won, but I had a semi-hemi laminectomy/minidiscectomy at L5-S1 on Valentines Day of 1995 and have been 100% since. I was in pain and had neuro deficits in my right foot for five months before I allowed surgery. My friends call it my "grump-ectomy" for good reason. See what conservative management does first, then consider surgery if it is warranted (down the road). I am very fortunate, many others have re-cut after re-cut and are always in some degree of pain after surgery.

I musta lucked out, because I wish I would have done the surgery sooner. Never had a moments regret or discomfort. My old man had a piece of his disc come loose and had to go to the hospital in an ambulance. The same Dr. did his surgery and he has been tip-top since then.

I did the aggressive PT and pills route and was still miserable. Do whatever is best for you. If historically you have always healed well and can handle slight discomfort/weakness for a short time after the surgery(about 2-4 weeks) then that's something to think about, but once it's herniated, it's always herniated and just a matter of time before another reoccurance. Then again that could lead to fusion surgery down the road if you do get surgery.

I would have done it sooner if I could have done it all over. One of the best decisions ever for me.

Back