The MD-11 rules

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
I got a chance to fly a UPS MD-11 sim at their training facility here in Anchorage. The plane is amazing:drool::bandit:

I even managed to grease the landing.:rawk:

Aren't there fuel tanks in the horizontal stab? Heard you have to transfer fuel from the other tanks into the tail and vice versa to keep the CG balanced throughout the flight and you can use it as a form of trim.?

Aren't there fuel tanks in the horizontal stab? Heard you have to transfer fuel from the other tanks into the tail and vice versa to keep the CG balanced throughout the flight and you can use it as a form of trim.?

Yep, but when I went to the same sim that Aspilot2be went to, the sim instructor told me it was to increase speed, and reduce fuel burn. (Aft CG equal faster) Way cool, brilliant, and complicated idea.

Many transport cat aircraft have this feature. The A300-600 I fly basically has the same system as the MD11. A CG computer automatically transfers fuel to the tail tanks in the horizonal stab to optimize the CG by reduces the drag and increasing range.

I guess if you reduce drag you can increase speed but the system was really designed to reduce drag and thereby increase range. There's about a 1% fuel burn increase if the CG computer is inop on the Airbus.

We cannot move fuel aft manually but we can manually move it forward as there's a limit to the amount of fuel weight (normally 4400lbs) allowed in the tail for landing. The system normally moves all the fuel forward for landings while descending out of 20k.

The aircraft also has a fuel autofeed system and the computer determines which particuliar tanks feed each engine during different phases of ground and flight ops to keep the tanks balanced and the CG where it should be. We have the ability to do this manually but that would require a lot of system monitoring..ie, *work*!:D

I got a chance to fly a UPS MD-11 sim at their training facility here in Anchorage. The plane is amazing:drool::bandit:

I even managed to grease the landing.:rawk:

Telling another pilot how well you fly a sim is like telling your girlfriend how well you masturbate. :D

Am I going to be banned now?:buck:

Back