Anywhere Map

Anyone use this?

http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=231

I can't decide if this or a Garmin 396 would be better. I really would just like something with XM weather. The Anywhere map has cool things like the taxi diagrams too.

Any input?

I have the AnywhereMap ATC. You linked to the other version which runs on the Q1, and I have no direct experience with it.

That said, I like the ATC. It's really easy to use, the XM Weather is really nice. Control Vision has been really good about tech support, bug fixes, etc.

I have one on the dell axim and really like it. But.....every plane I fly has a gps in it already so im selling it....interested? It includes pocket plates.

I have had it for years, very pleased with it running on an iPaq most of the time (I also have the XP version). I only have weather, no music, but its great to always have weather in the plane.

I use Anywhere Map, first on an Axim X51V and now on my HTC Mogul. Here are my observations:
The taxi maps are a godsend--it's like Garmin Safetaxi
The map layout is very customizable; I'd like to see synthetic vision in a later version
Installation takes forever, make sure you don't need your PC for a day or two if you want to install the program via Activesync
Getting GPS to talk to the program takes a little figuring out; I still can't get my Mogul's internal GPS to work with it
The interface lags at times; on the Axim this was probably due to the VGA screen and on the Mogul it's probably due to the relatively slow processor
The PDA/bluetooth GPS combo doesn't produce any noticable interference in navigation or communication equipment; I use a yokemount and velcro the GPS to the glareshield

These are my thoughts off the top of my head. PM me if you have any more questions. Anywhere Map is one of my favorite tools for VFR situational awareness.

I don't believe the mogul has an internal GPS. Im almost positive that it doesn't, at least the Sprint version. What Carrier version do you have?

I have Sprint; it does indeed have internal GPS (I use Live Maps, Google Maps, and geocaching software with it). The internal GPS wasn't enabled until software version 3.35

I have the AnywhereMap ATC. You linked to the other version which runs on the Q1, and I have no direct experience with it.

That said, I like the ATC. It's really easy to use, the XM Weather is really nice. Control Vision has been really good about tech support, bug fixes, etc.

seems like it's pretty good.

I wish I could get gps on my Tablet haha
Anyone have any ideas? I'd it possible??

Any of prior commentators use this with the road map feature? I always like to have gadgets that do more than one thing if possible and the combined road map stuff seems tempting.... My only concern is that the road-only version gets crap reviews on Cnet and other websites

Any of prior commentators use this with the road map feature? I always like to have gadgets that do more than one thing if possible and the combined road map stuff seems tempting.... My only concern is that the road-only version gets crap reviews on Cnet and other websites

The car-gps mode on the Anywheremap ATC is pretty decent. It's not the best in the world, but I use it extensively for business travel all over the country, and it has done the job for me. Generally, I run into one of two problems at any given time.

• Old/inaccuarte map data. Part of the problem is that Anywheremap ATC users are advised NOT to put the HP Update manager on the ATC because it can corrupt the AWM software. I believe that because of this, your roadmap data can get old. There are ways around this, but I've not tried any of them. The data inaccuracies aren't THAT bad. Like, I was driving into Ft. Worth a couple weeks ago, and the GPS said exit in 1/2 a mile. It didn't know that it was a left exit elsewhere, and so I blew by the turn. Had to do a u-turn further down the interstate. Annoying, but not that bad, and besides, I bought it to be an aviation GPS. The occurences are rare, but they do happen.
  • Slow on the uptake. Sometimes, in a really, really congested area at high speed, the GPS is slow to 'catch up' and give you instructions. I think part of this is how it does routing, because even though you're supposed to stay on the same highway, because it has multiple route names, etc, it will sometimes try to give you instructions where it doesn't need to. This slows it down for the instructions you DO need, but again, you just turn around and fix it. The only place this has happened to me is on the freeways around Oakland, and those are pretty damn convoluted. I usually have a decent sense of where I'm going anyway, so I often just ignore the GPS and it catches up later.
As an Aviation GPS, I really like it. It's my first, and I compared it to a lot of different units. I finally decided on it because a) it gave me pretty much everything the Garmin did for half the price b) I really liked the customer service people at Control Vision c) I talked to a large number of pilots who spoke highly of the AWM system and d) the car GPS.

There ARE some bugs with it. It doesn't like flying more than 250kts - CV is working on that problem, and a fix is coming. Most GA guys like me don't go that fast so it's not an issue. It's had some speed problems in the past and some "cosmetic" issues on the screens. CV has been REALLY good about fixes, updates and keeping the user community informed. I like a company where the President personally addresses a lot of issues.

seems like it's pretty good.

I wish I could get gps on my Tablet haha
Anyone have any ideas? I'd it possible??

You can buy the Anywhermap software for your tablet: http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=93 (with weather) http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=89 (without). You could the buy a USB Bluetooth dongle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156069

However, the major issue you may face is that above cabin pressure alts of 10,000 regular hard disk drives have issues (such as crashing heads). Though if your tablet has a solid state drive you are golden.

Hope this helps

Killbilly...thanks for the intel and the reply! I just may have to look into this...especially with the price being so good.

You can buy the Anywhermap software for your tablet: http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=93 (with weather) http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=89 (without). You could the buy a USB Bluetooth dongle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156069

However, the major issue you may face is that above cabin pressure alts of 10,000 regular hard disk drives have issues (such as crashing heads). Though if your tablet has a solid state drive you are golden.

Hope this helps

Thanks!

i wish it werent so much!

in regard to the street mapping, does anywhere map have nay fixes for updating? from what others have described, it sounds like they are good with customer service, so.....

Back