Where to do a Multi add-on?

Hubbs

So, I just got my CSEL on Tuesday, and my plan to go straight into American Flyers CFI academy has changed somewhat, mainly due to the fact that there is not nearly the shortage of CFIs in Dallas as there was 6 months ago. Thus, I cannot justify spending the premium on American flyers when I can probably get done for far less independantly.

Anyway, I have decided that the CMEL makes most sense for my next rating. I have looked at Clyde Fredrickson's Multi-Engine Training in Arlington, and Dutch Wings in Houston. The Arlington course is a guaranteed price no-matter how many hours it takes - $1400 + checkride. Dutch Wings does 10hrs dual for $2200 + checkride. From what I have heard about the Multi-Engine (Arlington) course, it is very intensive and has a reasonably high failure rate, once you have shown you can demo a particular maneuver you move on to the next and have no chance to practice it before the checkride.

It seems to me that the most amount of time I will get from Arlington is approx 7hrs including the checkride.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I'd look into Skymates at Arlington. (Then again, I've been out of that loop for quite some time now.)

Clyde's is cheap and has been around forever. I know 3 people that went there and got the rating fast, but only got 3-5 hours of multi. The people I know were satisfied with what they got.

Are you planning on getting your MEI soon? If so, you will need 5 hours of PIC time before you can instruct in different types of airplanes. They use the Travel Air at Clyde's, so will that time be worth it for you?

They use a Seneca at Dutch Wings, so the same thing would apply. The Seneca is defintely more popular than the Travel Air. Another thing to consider is traveling cost. You should factor in gas/hotel if you will be doing a weekend course or something.

I work at Skymates, but I am trying to be unbiased.:):)

Take a trip up to the North East and look at Action Multi Ratings in CT. $2100 for the CMEL. I have heard nothing but great things about them.

I went to O&S in North Carolina for mine, was really happy with the whole deal. Great instruction, fair prices, very good guys. Both Oscar and Lee are excellent instructors and the airport is the perfect size to get a lot of flying done easily. Here's a link: http://osaviation.com/

Are there any jobs out there for CMEL guys with 5 hours? I wouldn't be in a rush to get this one done. Take your time and learn wtf you are doing in a twin so you don't kill yourself. I found the maneuvers to be pretty simple, but you want to be damned sure that when your engine dies in the clouds in turbulence that you can react quickly and accurately.

Other considerations:
  • If you want to get your MEI later, most schools have a minimum time-in-type to teach. If your school has a Seminole, get your rating in a Seminole to kill some of those hours.
  • Either way, most schools require minimum time-in-type or even dual received to rent the airplane. If possible, do it local to kill some of those hours and be able to rent the twin sooner.

Think about what you are trying to do. If you get a multi engine add on and only have 3 to 5 hours, what is that worth to you? So what, go get it in 3 to 5 hours but are you really proficient in a multi-engine aircraft in such little time? You would have the rating but who is going to hire some one with such few hours? Most insurance companies require at least 25 hours dual in a model to fly it solo. This mean you will most likely be paying for more instruction time to qualify for the insurance. My thought is, if you are going to be paying an instructor to meet the qualification, why go to the cheapest flight school and get it done in so few hours. Make sure going are getting the bang for the buck.

If you would like to talk to me more on this subject call me. You can get my phone number at the following site. www.jimsaviationconsulting.com

Clyde's is cheap and has been around forever. I know 3 people that went there and got the rating fast, but only got 3-5 hours of multi. The people I know were satisfied with what they got.

Are you planning on getting your MEI soon? If so, you will need 5 hours of PIC time before you can instruct in different types of airplanes. They use the Travel Air at Clyde's, so will that time be worth it for you?

They use a Seneca at Dutch Wings, so the same thing would apply. The Seneca is defintely more popular than the Travel Air. Another thing to consider is traveling cost. You should factor in gas/hotel if you will be doing a weekend course or something.

I work at Skymates, but I am trying to be unbiased.:):)

Thanks for your reply.

So, in addition to the 15hrs PIC required to get the MEI, you also need 5hrs PIC make and model to give dual?

I have family in Houston so I do not need to worry about cost of hotel, but the gas is not insignificant.

In your experience, how much time, on average, does it take to get a multi add-on?

Does skymates currently charge a fuel surcharge?

The primary reason I want to get the CMEL out of the was is that I am planning on applying for the Simuflight Supporting Crewmember program, which requires CMEL and 300hrs. I understand the chance of getting a Multi-Engine job with 5-10 hours is slim-to-none, however, you occasionally here of people that own twins and will let you fly around with them for the cost of gas etc etc.

Take a trip up to the North East and look at Action Multi Ratings in CT. $2100 for the CMEL. I have heard nothing but great things about them.

That is a pretty good price, long way to travel. Although I do have family in Boston I could visit at the same time.

Thanks for your reply.

So, in addition to the 15hrs PIC required to get the MEI, you also need 5hrs PIC make and model to give dual?

I have family in Houston so I do not need to worry about cost of hotel, but the gas is not insignificant.

In your experience, how much time, on average, does it take to get a multi add-on?

Does skymates currently charge a fuel surcharge?

You need 15 PIC to take the MEI checkride and 5 hours for each make and model. You could do the 5 PIC while getting the 15 PIC, if that makes sense.

You can probably get the multi add on for 4-5 hours training and 1.5 to 2 for the checkride. We still do have the fuel surcharge, but it should be going away very soon.

Go to ATPs for your multi addon, if you can follow directions you'll pass, and its a good program. The way they fly is pretty rational too.

Make sure you read the fine print if you go here...You are buying "up to 7 hours" of flight training. Not 7 total. Odds are you will be pushed through extremely quickly, taking your x ride on the second day with only 3 hours, asking yourself where the hell are my other 4 hours.

I did my CMEL add on at action, and didn't learn a thing about flying multi engine airplanes...It's a buy your rating type place. If I knew than what I know now I wouldn't have gone.

Mike, thanks for the info! I have talked to a couple others who went there and they all got around 5 and change before ride, they all had a ton of multi time though so I guess that helps.

I'm still trying to figure out how some of these "schools" offer a multi rating with "up to 6 hours" or whatever. Honestly, I don't see how it can be done in anything less than 10. In fact, neither of the examiners we use will do a checkride for a student with less than that. Our program is a 15 hour program spread over 5 days and is about $4k.

Given the complexity of flying a twin (well the right way at least), I really don't see what the rush is, especially considering what can go wrong when things are shortcut. Take your time and learn to fly the plane, and pass the checkride with confidence. Then, if you do choose to go ahead with the MEI you have a solid foundation to start with.

I'm still trying to figure out how some of these "schools" offer a multi rating with "up to 6 hours" or whatever. Honestly, I don't see how it can be done in anything less than 10. In fact, neither of the examiners we use will do a checkride for a student with less than that. Our program is a 15 hour program spread over 5 days and is about $4k.

Given the complexity of flying a twin (well the right way at least), I really don't see what the rush is, especially considering what can go wrong when things are shortcut. Take your time and learn to fly the plane, and pass the checkride with confidence. Then, if you do choose to go ahead with the MEI you have a solid foundation to start with.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Let me put it this way. There is no way in heck I would load my family in to a twin with a freshly minted pilot who got his rating in less than 10 hours. Period.

Back