Christmas Training Schedule

SQuirell88

I called Student Services on Thursday, October 30 to find out what our training schedule will look like around Christmas.

According to the Federal Govt holiday schedule only Christmas Day is considered a holiday. However, more than likely President Bush will create an executive order to add an additional day off (usually Christmas Eve). However with Christmas being on a Thursday this year maybe it will be Friday instead. In any event, we won't find out until 2-5wks prior to Christmas.

When I spoke with someone in Student Services she could not find out at this time if the Academy will suspend night classes on Christmas Eve or even the day after Christmas so we can travel home. The official position right now (as it always has been) any day that is not a Federal Holiday-expect to have classes.

She said I was the first person to call about this, but encouraged me to call back weekly. Due to the high demand for flights this year I already purchased a ticket on Delta to leave Christmas morning from OKC to ATL to CAE (I accidentally overlooked Friday not being a holiday) Also, my original flight was cancelled and their schedule has been modified. Note that Delta's last flight from OKC is at 1240hr on Christmas Eve and the next flight out is not until 1040hr on Christmas day (the one I'm now on).

I know some people will say suck it up and welcome to the FAA and the 24/7/365 ATC job, but it would be nice to squeeze one last Christmas in before I'll be screwed for many years to come.

I'd be cautious of the answer that you were given by student services, of it being 'more than likely'.

I say that because I'm in OKC now, actually in the same building as student services and the overwhelming majority of instructors that I've seen asked this question feel that it's very much up in the air, even if Bush is a lame duck. Two have also mentioned that if he does do it, that it could be as late as the week of.

I also have no idea on the history of this happening, whether Clinton pulled it or not. Believe me when I say there are an amazing amount of guys here dying to get home to their families, especially given that we have class the day after Thanksgiving.

Oh, I thought you just got an extra hour for lunch on a holiday. ;)

Yea, I wouldn't get my hopes up... I wouldn't even care working on Christmas. What am I gonna do in OKC when all of my family is in Seattle?! I'm about to make myself a Christmas Ham........sandwich. :nana2:

Yea, I wouldn't get my hopes up... I wouldn't even care working on Christmas. What am I gonna do in OKC when all of my family is in Seattle?! I'm about to make myself a Christmas Ham........sandwich. :nana2:
I dunno if there any Denny's here in OKC, but that's where I ate my 1st Xmas dinner (alone) while in the Air Force since I wasn't allowed to take leave since I was in upgrade training, but I was allowed to deploy 4 months before that...:rolleyes:

I dunno if there any Denny's here in OKC, but that's where I ate my 1st Xmas dinner (alone) while in the Air Force since I wasn't allowed to take leave since I was in upgrade training, but I was allowed to deploy 4 months before that...:rolleyes:
I was in tech school my first Christmas (at lackland no less). The school closed for 2 weeks and everyone was given permission to go negative on leave to take the two weeks off. I already had two weeeks of leave cause I had come in 2 July (6 month tech school... bleh). Anyways, I flew home. It was nice.

If by some Christmas miracle I end up down there during the holidays, I could be found at the local white castle with a santa hat on drinking mad dog 20/20 with my crave case. Everyone will be welcome to join me should they so desire.

If by some Christmas miracle I end up down there during the holidays, I could be found at the local white castle with a santa hat on drinking mad dog 20/20 with my crave case. Everyone will be welcome to join me should they so desire.

There is a White Castle in OKC??

WHATTTTT!?!?!?!?!?!?! no WC in OKC?????

excuse me for a moment while I ponder my next course of action

this may be a deal breaker for me

A lot of the country doesn't have a White Castle. That's why we all said "What the hell is White Castle?" when that movie came out.

You wanna know the saddest part about White Castle? The first White Castle was in Wichita, KS in 1921. Now, the closest is STL. WTF??

We just have Krystal down here. The burgers in appearance are similar to what White Castle serves. I think the last time I saw a White Castle was when I took a trip to Indiana about 6 years ago.

Damn...there aren't even any Krystals out there either. What do they do for small hamburgers????

We just have Krystal down here. The burgers in appearance are similar to what White Castle serves. I think the last time I saw a White Castle was when I took a trip to Indiana about 6 years ago.

Damn...there aren't even any Krystals out there either. What do they do for small hamburgers????

Braum's JR Hamburger

Back