IFR out of Uncontrolled Field

Sidious

Had an interesting experience on Saturday and wanted to get some opinions on what should be done. I had flown from KMLB to KOBE on an IFR flight plan. KOBE is uncontrolled and the flight there was uneventful.

Now the issue came up when I went to depart. I wanted to go back IFR. The area was VFR and I've never picked up a clearance in the air leaving an uncontrolled field so that's what I wanted to do. Anyway I couldn't really find a frequency to use to pick up my clearance.

The A/FD was no help. In this situation would it be best to look in the back of the A/FD, find an airport that is listed nearby and try that ARTCC frequency? They would just tell me to go to a different frequency if that was wrong correct?

There was no Radar Facilities nearby or I could have tried them as well correct?

How was the AFD not a help? It should have the ARTCC frequency listed. At the very least, the Low Enroute chart should have the nearest frequency, as well as the approach plates.

As a last resort, you could get your clearance from FSS.

How was the AFD not a help? It should have the ARTCC frequency listed. At the very least, the Low Enroute chart should have the nearest frequency, as well as the approach plates.

As a last resort, you could get your clearance from FSS.

Sorry, no dice there. The A/FD has notta and neither do the approach plates. Ill check the Low enroute chart when I get home.

Airport Operations

Airport use: Open to the public
Activation date: 04/1940
Sectional chart: MIAMI
Control tower: no
ARTCC: MIAMI CENTER
FSS: SAINT PETERSBURG FLIGHT SERVICE STATION
NOTAMs facility: PIE (NOTAM-D service available)
Attendance: 0800-1700
AFT HRS CALL 863-634-0352.Wind indicator: lightedSegmented circle: yesLights: DUSK-DAWN
ACTVT MIRL RWY 05/23 - CTAF.Beacon: white-green (lighted land airport)

Find a frequency for Vero Beach Approach (I don't remember if there is a VRB app, but if not, I know there's Palm Beach Approach close by). Call them and tell them who you are, where you are, and what you want. If that's the wrong frequency, then they'll give you the correct one. And notate that frequency for next time.

Or just call FSS on the phone and ask them what frequency, or get your clearance from them when you're ready to go.:D

I would of called "SAINT PETERSBURG FLIGHT SERVICE STATION" by phone or by radio. Or on the approach plates it should have a departure freq.

Had an interesting experience on Saturday and wanted to get some opinions on what should be done. I had flown from KMLB to KOBE on an IFR flight plan. KOBE is uncontrolled and the flight there was uneventful.

Since you went in IFR, on the way out could you just call whomever you were talking with last (probably Center or an approach facility) before they cleared you for an approach and told you to change to the advisory?

Or, call whomever you canceled with to pick up the outbound?

You said you flew in IFR? Who were you talking to before switching to the traffic frequency?

In an IFR situation (where you cannot legally depart VFR) I would call FSS on the ground to get the clearance. They would give you a departure frequency. In this situation, that would have worked too, or call them and ask who controls that area. Or as others have said, contact a nearby approach (in the VFR instance).

Find a frequency for Vero Beach Approach (I don't remember if there is a VRB app, but if not, I know there's Palm Beach Approach close by). Call them and tell them who you are, where you are, and what you want. If that's the wrong frequency, then they'll give you the correct one. And notate that frequency for next time.

Yeah, probably what I should have done. Kinda sketchy because OBE is in the middle of nowhere but I suppose it's a good enough start and if it is the wrong freq. they would just tell me who to go to.

Sorry, no dice there. The A/FD has notta and neither do the approach plates. Ill check the Low enroute chart when I get home.

Airport Operations

Airport use: Open to the public
Activation date: 04/1940
Sectional chart: MIAMI
Control tower: no
ARTCC: MIAMI CENTER
FSS: SAINT PETERSBURG FLIGHT SERVICE STATION
NOTAMs facility: PIE (NOTAM-D service available)
Attendance: 0800-1700
AFT HRS CALL 863-634-0352.Wind indicator: lightedSegmented circle: yesLights: DUSK-DAWN
ACTVT MIRL RWY 05/23 - CTAF.Beacon: white-green (lighted land airport)

I've never seen it not listed on the TPP. Weird. Look for the "postage stamp" to find the nearest frequency on the low enroute.

I would have just called the freq that I was on before switching to the advisory freq. It was probably still on standby.

Back