What's better: single turbine or multi-piston time?

akmountaineer

Assuming that an individual wants to make a career step to a regional airline or fractional jet operator, would it be more advantageous to have single turbine (C-208, PC-12) or multi-piston time in a light twin?

Thanks!

If its the regionals you are after, I would recommend piston twin, for the sole reason that All Regional Airlines have a multi-engine time requirement, and none require turbine time.

Well, once you get to the 100-200 multi piston time level, I don't think more of it matters. So if you get some time in a single engine turbine. Great. It shows you can manage a turbine engine (easier than a piston engine!).

Michael

Why? Is someone hiring?!!!

By the way, this subject has been beaten to death on a number of occasions. Do a search.

Yeah this one has been discussed a few times. If you are looking for work at the regionals then I agree with the others who said to get the multi piston time. Once you have that IF you can still get single engine turbine time I would do it. The experience would be very good for you.

I have to agree with the others. Get the multi time. You will see various jobs that want some level of multi time. I got my first job with real low multi time, and only about 20 hrs of multi PIC time. When stuff started looking bad at my company, I didn't have enough multi or multi PIC to go anywhere.

I was fortunate being able to get enough multi SIC time to land me a better job, but some things might have been easier with the multi PIC time.

I have to agree with the others. Get the multi time. You will see various jobs that want some level of multi time. I got my first job with real low multi time, and only about 20 hrs of multi PIC time. When stuff started looking bad at my company, I didn't have enough multi or multi PIC to go anywhere.

I was fortunate being able to get enough multi SIC time to land me a better job, but some things might have been easier with the multi PIC time.
Very true.

Why? Is someone hiring?!!!

By the way, this subject has been beaten to death on a number of occasions. Do a search.

You know, you could have answered his question as easily as you told him to "do a search." Not much point to these boards if all we're going to do is refer questioners to previous posts, some of which lose their relevance as time goes by.

You know, you could have answered his question as easily as you told him to "do a search." Not much point to these boards if all we're going to do is refer questioners to previous posts, some of which lose their relevance as time goes by.

Not sure what you're getting at here. In your first sentence you recommend stating, "do a search." In the second, you say there is not much point to this. I think you must have been offended at my wording, which was not meant to be insulting. I simply wanted to convey to the OP the absurdly large bank of posts covering this exact topic available with a simple search.

In addition to several posts referencing the exact topic indirectly, it took me all of one minute to find a post from a few months ago with pretty much the exact same title:
http://forums.jetcareers.com/general-topics/65990-turbine-time-vs-twin-time.html

Fresh perspectives are nice - but this information is obviously current, and most information on this topic does not become dated.

Back