Airports vulnerable to attacks

TheShortOne

http://www.freep.com/article/20081017/BUSINESS07/81017066

The government has not been able to keep track of all the airport security uniforms and badges it issues, which makes secure areas in airports vulnerable to terrorists posing as authorized officials, according to an internal review released Friday....

More than 420 uniforms and identification cards issued to security screeners at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport were lost or stolen between 2001 and 2007, according to Transportation Security Administration records. The number peaked in 2003, when 128 uniforms and 31 identity badges disappeared.

Darn, I can't comment on this because it would cause the thread to be immediately flushed into the lav :)

Probably why they changed their uniforms from white shirt to the light blue shirt. Now they have a couple years before they have to do it again.

Doesn't suprise me.

The last time I traveled on US Air in full uniform I got the royal treatment due to SSSS on my BP and the CSA refused to remove it. While getting wanded and patted down I was talking to an older TSA agent that actually sounded intelligent. He said sarcastically that he has to screen a pilot when there are other people he should be screening.

I hate to say but TSA is mostly smoke and mirrors. I doubt terrorist are going to knock on the front door if they try to hit a plane again.

Anyone know the legality of just shoving the SSSS boarding pass in my pocket and using my ID to get through security?

I heard of somebody that was running late to the gate. Saw the SSSS on the BP and then saw another BP on the floor. To get through security used the non-SSSS so they would make the gate in time and then dropped of the other BP at the appropriate gate. Then use their own BP at the gate. Agent saw that TSA didn't stamp it. Signed off on boarding and the person left on the proper flight. That should tell you about not just TSA but the Gate Agent.

I heard of somebody that was running late to the gate. Saw the SSSS on the BP and then saw another BP on the floor. To get through security used the non-SSSS so they would make the gate in time and then dropped of the other BP at the appropriate gate. Then use their own BP at the gate. Agent saw that TSA didn't stamp it. Signed off on boarding and the person left on the proper flight. That should tell you about not just TSA but the Gate Agent.

That would be a complete breakdown of TSA. TSA is required to verify your ID against the name on the boarding pass. I also believe the gate agent is required to call TSA.

I just had this happen to a crewmember I was traveling with yesterday. The pilot was running late and used his ID to get through security (in full uniform). Then on the way to the gate he stopped and printed his boarding pass at a KIOSK inside the secure area of the terminal. Upon trying to board the flight the agent denied him boarding and called TSA. The pilot was screen by TSA and allowed to board. The gate agent was nice enough not close the flight out and held the door open until 1 minute prior to scheduled departure.

Doesn't suprise me.

The last time I traveled on US Air in full uniform I got the royal treatment due to SSSS on my BP and the CSA refused to remove it. While getting wanded and patted down I was talking to an older TSA agent that actually sounded intelligent. He said sarcastically that he has to screen a pilot when there are other people he should be screening.

I hate to say but TSA is mostly smoke and mirrors. I doubt terrorist are going to knock on the front door if they try to hit a plane again.

Anyone know the legality of just shoving the SSSS boarding pass in my pocket and using my ID to get through security?

I had an agent say something similar to me while giving me the wand in uniform. All the while I was considering the flare gun and crash axe next to and behind my seat in the airplane.

The TSA is all smoke and mirrors.

I had an agent say something similar to me while giving me the wand in uniform. All the while I was considering the flare gun and crash axe next to and behind my seat in the airplane.

The TSA is all smoke and mirrors.

If TSA were really interested in security and improving it they would sit down with a group of pilots and discuss all the issues, flaws, and BS in the current system. I bet we could probably end up saving the government money too.

Oh wait, saving the government money would probably put some politician out of work so we can't have that. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Back