CFI-A?

Benji86

Well I tried searching for this rating online, but got nowhere. Is this the ground instructor rating? The reason I ask is that I am researching American Flyers for their CFI program and it seems reasonably priced at $3,000 for the CFI-I and CFI-A, but what is a CFI-A?

CFI-Airplane I believe. Basically your single-engine instructor addon to your CFII (Flyers does the CFII as the initial).

Nope, but an old roommate of mine from school is in the process of finishing his CFI-A at AF in Houston (he just did his CFII).

Did he mention to you what he thought of the place? Im thinking of doin the 30 CFI & CFII at AF Addison

He seemed to like it alright. He got kinda hosed though by the FSDO being slow about getting a checkride and by Ike coming through right when he was supposed to be done.

Also planning on doing the CFI academy at KADS, seems like a good deal from what I have seen in the area. Hopefully gonna start the November course, just need to get my CSEL out of the way.

Hubbs do you know anyone who has taken the course there? I haven't had the chance yet to call and ask them if the $2995 on their website is a firm price. Im trying to finish up my CSEL to and would like to get in on the Nov class also. Where did you train at Hubbs?

Hubbs do you know anyone who has taken the course there? I haven't had the chance yet to call and ask them if the $2995 on their website is a firm price. Im trying to finish up my CSEL to and would like to get in on the Nov class also. Where did you train at Hubbs?

I have not yet spoken to anyone who has completed the course, but I have been into the office a few times to discuss, and they all seem to be pretty good guys.

The $2995 covers 10hrs flight time, unlimited use of their sims, and all the ground school. If you need more than 10hrs you will end up paying an exorbitant rate (around $200/hr for a cutlass). I was told to expect somewhere between $4000-$4500 including checkride fees and books etc. Still seems a reasonable price, and the level of instruction is supposed to be pretty high.

I've been flying with RFC Flying Club out of KADS. You?

If you want to go to AF go to the KPMP location. That location is the best location overall for them. They also have the best FSDO to work with. Miami will get the DPE's to AF for the initial check ride in about two or three weeks into your training. Yes you will pay anywhere between $4000-$5000 for both your CFI and CFII but it is worth it at that location. Make sure before you go to brush up on All of the PTS for each rating, Pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge, airplane flying handbook as well as there Instruement counterparts.

Make sure you at least have one FAA knowledge test finished before leaving for training. Two would be recomended. Also make sure you own all of the above mentioned books and bring them to AF. The book AF have you buy are basically copy and pastes from the FAA books, just use them, and then sell them to the next CFI class.

Hubbs I have been training at skymates at GKY, almost done with my commercial single and looking at CFI right now to get an idea how how much or how little I can spend on it! Funds are tight for me right now. Ive heard of that club.. whats it like?

Hubbs I have been training at skymates at GKY, almost done with my commercial single and looking at CFI right now to get an idea how how much or how little I can spend on it! Funds are tight for me right now. Ive heard of that club.. whats it like?

It's pretty cool. The members are generally a very decent bunch and it seems that the majority are members because they like to fly rather than being students, which means that the planes are generally very available during the week, not so much on the weekend. Best thing about it though, is that it is cheap - Cherokee for ~$90/hr, Cardinal RG for ~$110. Did you do all your ratings at Skymates? What do you think of them?

Hey Hubbs and Benji86....

I have flown with Skymates a while back. Pretty much cant afford to fly with them anymore. The prices at RFC seem pretty darn good. Im currently flying out of FTW in a club out there. The only downside is the drive...I live in the same town as you Benji86 and drive to FTW...is it worth it...absolutely

I liked SKymates a lot, they have generally been very helpful, I got a loan and did most of my training there. Its taken me a while to finish up because I have had a full time job. Its been a little difficult lately completing my commercial. The arrow that they own has been in maintenance every time I have been scheduled. Thats a little frustrating. Im not sure about where to take my CFI, a lot of people say if you want to save money, study on your own instead of going to these accelerated programs. I really need to stretch my money so I think thats what I will do.

Hey Hubbs and Benji86....

I have flown with Skymates a while back. Pretty much cant afford to fly with them anymore. The prices at RFC seem pretty darn good. Im currently flying out of FTW in a club out there. The only downside is the drive...I live in the same town as you Benji86 and drive to FTW...is it worth it...absolutely

Yeah the drive is a bit far. I flew a couple of times with a guy out at spinks. it was a very small flight school, owned by one guy, he had a 172 and a 150. Very reasonable rates and you could pretty much take the planes whenever they were available. The other thing I liked was that his school was not very busy. That may be the one downside to Skymates, they always seem busy, sometimes its hard to schedule flights.
I would like to start flying a bit more, split some time with some people I am comfortable with. Thats why I am looking into some clubs

Back