You're supposed to suck at first, right?

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
Sim day 2, so I think I'm just being a bit harsh on myself, but you're supposed to suck at this point in the box in new hire training right? Behind the airplane, lost SA on an approach (called a go around so no red screens...which is good I guess), essentially just some boneheaded items that I thought I was ok with. Steep turns were on point though, so I'll call that a win.

/end vent.

Sim day 2, so I think I'm just being a bit harsh on myself, but you're supposed to suck at this point in the box in new hire training right? Behind the airplane, lost SA on an approach (called a go around so no red screens...which is good I guess), essentially just some boneheaded items that I thought I was ok with. Steep turns were on point though, so I'll call that a win.

/end vent.

Yes. Just learn from it and bounce back.

Do you have to repeat the session?

No, we just reset for the 2 big goofs and redid them to standard. I think I'm being overly critical of myself for only being on day 2 of sims, but I just hate failing at anything even when it's new'ish.

While repeating a session isn’t a huge deal, the fact that you didn’t says you’re doing fine.

Heck, like most people at their first 121, I never flew anything that fast before. Added to that, I hadn’t flown anything with wings that didn’t spin for 8 years before my 121 training. You’ve got to be doing better than I did.

Me: nope, you’re sh*tty, if you can’t circumnavigate a thunderstorm, single engine with smoke on the cockpit AND someone in the lav BY day 2, just call it a career.

Also me: nope you’re just fine. You’re having a lot of crap thrown at you in a totally new environment, this knowledge gain isn’t linear.

keep on keeping on!

/end vent.

It's always a good thing to remember that the sim, while a terrific training device, is not an airplane, nor does it fly or feel like one. So keep in mind that you are "flying" a computer. Don't go for nuance or smoothness. Go for "what input do I need to apply to get the box to do what I want it to." It's literally all formulaic.
Personally, I've found that the more time I have in a particular aircraft, the harder the sim of that aircraft becomes for me.

hey day 2 and you realized you lost SA and went missed, that's good. Not a big deal in the least. At some point in the next few sims everything will click and you'll look back on it and laugh after the ride

Stuff happens quickly and in terms of a modern jet the -200 is a little labor intensive.

Keep working on your flows and what not so they’re second nature and you can concentrate on the aviating. Chair fly a lot back in your hotel, especially the parts you struggled with.

I’m sure you’re doing better than it feels. Just the fact that you are self aware enough to notice a screw up puts you ahead of the game.

If I had a dollar for every time I screwed up in a sim, i wouldn’t have to fly professionally to provide.

You’re fine, I promise. Learn from your mistake(s) and press onward. We’ve all been there, you’ll surprise yourself with how much you learn and improve over a relatively short amount of time,.

Former sim instructor/check airman here. That’s absolutely normal progress. The fact that you had time to repeat two maneuvers and were able to do so successfully makes me believe you’re probably doing better than you think. It’s when you get into lots of repeats and start running out of time that will lead to having to repeat a lesson. Which, in most programs, is no big deal either. And, remember, your instructors know they can train you to fly to standards. It’s not as easy to teach good judgement/decision making. Your decision to GA on the botched approach shows them that you’re probably just fine in that area. So good call.

Sometimes sitting there on day two or three, it can be hard to believe that it’s all going to come together in time for the MV. But it does. Keep chair flying. Keep practicing call-outs and flows. Have fun. Trust the process. It works.

Good luck!

Mirroring what everyone else is saying, it sounds like you are doing fine.

I screwed up a SE go-around so badly the sim didn't even red screen, it just went into some kind of fail-safe. Half the flight displays went blank and we had to have a tech come reset it. We laughed at it, I learned from it, and my next attempts were significantly better. Still managed to finish within the normal training footprint.

Last edited:
Back