The Courseys, Travolta, $800K and… allegations

Oh, there’s already a new train wreck today. Women shouldn’t be pilots because _____.

Yeah, because no one has crashed more airplanes than white men.

Did you see the guy saying there were studies that women didn't make good pilots because they are easily spatially disoriented?

Did you see the guy saying there were studies that women didn't make good pilots because they are easily spatially disoriented?

Oh yeah. Probably the same kind of employee that will refuse to take sensitivity training.

I have a very distant memory of sitting in a CAP meeting during a lecture from some USAF muckety-mucks telling us that studies had shown women were better fighter pilots in their experience with dogfighting exercises, etc....

I have a very distant memory of sitting in a CAP meeting during a lecture from some USAF muckety-mucks telling us that studies had shown women were better fighter pilots in their experience with dogfighting exercises, etc....
For reasons beyond the scope of this thread, I spent a week with the at-the-time USAF Chief of Neuropsychiatry back in the 2006 timeframe. Because the reason I was being treated by him involved cognitive performance, I got to see some data about this exact topic.

There is evidence that female internal-organ physiology has some advantages over males in both tolerance of amplitude of G and duration of sustainment of that higher G. Unfortunately there's not a large body of documented study on it simply because of the relative sample sizes being too small to derive actual theory instead of hypothesis.

The cognitive performance data, of which there is also too little data to confirm hypothesis, shows essentially the same applied performance capability between sexes.

Friend of mine from my Navy reserve squadron, was told by some turd burgler at our other job that she should "start thinking more like a man". She is a former fighter pilot, and also just upgraded at southern jets. He's a fat middle aged man who once, for 4 years, turned wrenches on the plane. No offense to those, but the comparison is a little amazing given the patronizing. I released a hearty laugh when she told me this

Some of these guys breathe the air that the rest of us do. But apparently at much reduced concentration

Last edited:
For reasons beyond the scope of this thread, I spent a week with the at-the-time USAF Chief of Neuropsychiatry back in the 2006 timeframe. Because the reason I was being treated by him involved cognitive performance, I got to see some data about this exact topic.

There is evidence that female internal-organ physiology has some advantages over males in both tolerance of amplitude of G and duration of sustainment of that higher G. Unfortunately there's not a large body of documented study on it simply because of the relative sample sizes being too small to derive actual theory instead of hypothesis.

The cognitive performance data, of which there is also too little data to confirm hypothesis, shows essentially the same applied performance capability between sexes.
That tracks. I vaguely recall something about the Gs being a factor….

I remember a study when I was in college about mesomorphic people (shorter, squat, more muscular) pulling more G's than ectomorphic body types (taller, thinner), but I don't know jack-squat about how pilots are chosen for UPT.

Friend of mine from my Navy reserve squadron, was told by some turd burgler at our other job that she should "start thinking more like a man". She is a former fighter pilot, and also just upgraded at southern jets. He's a fat middle aged man who once, for 4 years, turned wrenches on the plane. No offense to those, but the comparison is a little amazing given the patronizing. I released a hearty laugh when she told me this

Some of these guys breathe the air that the rest of us do. But apparently at much reduced concentration

PJP is a bizarre place. My hopes it's the vocal minority. But the group projects as if they are stuck in a different era. But it may just be the huge echo chamber that exists there.

I remember a study when I was in college about mesomorphic people (shorter, squat, more muscular) pulling more G's than ectomorphic body types (taller, thinner), but I don't know jack-squat about how pilots are chosen for UPT.
I believe the term you’re looking for is “swarthy fireplug of indeterminate middle-eastern heritage.”

Yep, that's entirely true, too.

But it is not considered in the algorithm for military pilot selection. There used to be a muscular strength test (above and beyond the normal annual physical fitness test and the centrifuge training) that UPT graduates who had been selected for fighter training had to take (Daff and I had to do it back in the 90s), but even that "test" was stopped at some point shortly after.

I didn't read anything that said that women make any less of a pilot because of it though. They were attempting to use that argument to explain why there are less women pilots than men pilots.
Agreed. I didn’t mean to affirm that they were “less of a pilot” just that they are more susceptible.

Reactions: KLB
PJP is a bizarre place. My hopes it's the vocal minority. But the group projects as if they are stuck in a different era. But it may just be the huge echo chamber that exists there.

You mean like how all South Floridians act...

They think they are the voice of the human race, when in reality they are the few loudest morons that love barfing their views to anyone within an earshot or keyboard.

Let's also not forget who conducted those studies. Men...

I am a man and I am anything but a man-hater, but what a silly premise to begin with. How about a study on who is more likely to rage-fly an airplane into the ground? I bet it isn't a woman...

You mean like how all South Floridians act...

They think they are the voice of the human race, when in reality they are the few loudest morons that love barfing their views to anyone within an earshot or keyboard.

The South Florida corporate aviation culture certainly is an interesting one. Corporate aviation, in general, is very closed off and requires a bit of networking. But South Florida is very much "Good Ole Boy'ish"

Scheming to milk money at every opportunity is also a normal practice. Unethical things such as putting an aircraft in a mx shop where the owner would give a kickback rather than looking at the price/quality are ignored. Or the Coursey scheme of giving kickbacks to using their "brokering service" when a client's aircraft went AOG. These practices are pretty normal here.

8lkvy4.jpg

Back