Reverse vs brakes

If you have the tool to use you should use it, especially in the critical time of landing. If you're worried about the marginal cost differences of reverse thrust vs braking then someone probably shouldn't own that airplane. On the jet engine reverse thrust is usually operated by bleed air and their for takes longer to deploy at low engine RPM; all the more reason to select reverse thrust as soon as operationally allowed and use it as long as operationally allowed to. Also reverse thrust should not be quickly reduced from max to min and idle, as you can get a small burst of forward thrust if the engine is not given time to decelerate. Use them until you are satisfied your landing roll will end on the pavement.

Not every landing.

The majority of our landings are landing flaps 5, go around flaps 2.

A small, but occasionally performance-critical, minority of our landings are landing flaps full, go around flaps four. I write the "note" for those landings.

I'd rather get the right one in the irregular situation than get the wrong one, but keep laughing.

I 100% agree. started doing this because of your idea. Would much rather have an aid in making the proper call out than to fall into habit and make the wrong call out and then have the wrong configuration selected.

Not every landing.

The majority of our landings are landing flaps 5, go around flaps 2.

A small, but occasionally performance-critical, minority of our landings are landing flaps full, go around flaps four. I write the "note" for those landings.

I'd rather get the right one in the irregular situation than get the wrong one, but keep laughing.
Is it as performance critical as the wing on the CRJ? And it's not me laughing at you, it's the guys you're flying with.

Is it as performance critical as the wing on the CRJ? And it's not me laughing at you, it's the guys you're flying with.
Dunno, not an engineer; the differences between Vac2 and Vac4 are significant enough for me to sit up and take notice.

Nobody's laughed at me yet (on that, anyway). (I mean, maybe they waited until I left the flight deck...)

@higney85 can!

Well said!
Or jot it down.
107.JPG

All this talk is silly.

If you depart the paved surface of the runway if you don't use brakes but use reverse you will be asked why didn't you use brakes as well as your reverse. If you don't use reverse but use brakes you will be asked why didn't you use reverse with your brakes.

Unless you fly an 88...then you adjust admit that neither work particularly well and say you were just using the dirt to stop.

Also reverse thrust should not be quickly reduced from max to min and idle, as you can get a small burst of forward thrust if the engine is not given time to decelerate. Use them until you are satisfied your landing roll will end on the pavement.

Reverse is most effective at high speeds. Most modern jet engines spool quickly for reverse. However the burst of speed you mention when coming out of reverse too quickly I have only really noticed on the low bypass engine with clam shells. I have not noticed to be an issue at all on the larger bypass fans with translating cowls. I am assuming this due to only the fan air being reversed vs all the air air on the clamshells. I'm sure fadec may also play a part to.

@Derg aka Airbus guru what say you?

Reverse is most effective at high speeds. Most modern jet engines spool quickly for reverse. However the burst of speed you mention when coming out of reverse too quickly I have only really noticed on the low bypass engine with clam shells. I have not noticed to be an issue at all on the larger bypass fans with translating cowls. I am assuming this due to only the fan air being reversed vs all the air air on the clamshells. I'm sure fadec may also play a part to.

@Derg aka Airbus guru what say you?

Closing the TR's too fast on the DC9 was a big no no. Regardless of the burst of speed you would also sometimes have difficulty getting the buckets to close and secure properly.

Back