Mesa airlines

dxnoob

I have an interview with Mesa and I usually do well in interviews. I’m worried about starting pay though. Does anyone know what they are starting at recently. I think the spreadsheet is outdated a little. Also, how the life at Mesa is. With how much hiring has slowed I may be there for a while. I’m making around 32hr right now as a flight follower but want the 121 XP and expect a pay cut. By bachelors degree is in aerospace (flight crew/operations), maybe I have bargaining power? Mesa just doesn’t seem to get discussed a lot so any info helps.

I have an interview with Mesa and I usually do well in interviews. I’m worried about starting pay though. Does anyone know what they are starting at recently. I think the spreadsheet is outdated a little. Also, how the life at Mesa is. With how much hiring has slowed I may be there for a while. I’m making around 32hr right now as a flight follower but want the 121 XP and expect a pay cut. By bachelors degree is in aerospace (flight crew/operations), maybe I have bargaining power? Mesa just doesn’t seem to get discussed a lot so any info helps.

Mesa: a lot of people got their start there.

That being said: you will go broke in Phoenix trying to live on what they pay. The health insurance is expensive and doesn’t cover much.

The work environment is hostile.

I learned a lot there.

I made parole at the 6 month mark.

If you can find your way to a major or legacy with your experience and bypass the regionals altogether, it’s your best bet.

Doubt you can negotiate pay as they have their own pay based on a contract but you should be getting a job there no problem

Also opportunities to perform managerial work for a slight increase in pay and putting that on your resume for the majors

Mesa from what I been hearing is one of the least if not least popular regional but you get 121 exp and you learn a lot. Trial by fire if you will

Take whatever regional hires you first and try to move up, good luck

I mean a regional is a regional (valuable experience)

Idk how accurate the spreadsheet is currently, if there still union or not

If they’re not union pretty sure you can negotiate. If they are union , you prolly could negotiate the sign up bonus for more (I would just take the interview and see how it goes and try to negotiate)

But they have spirit and NAC that are 121, better options

Last edited:
Where are you now? You menitoned "flight follower" Is that at a freight company? or 135 show?
If you are at the former, I would stay. Mesa can be a supreme •te show. Many have moved on to better places but you should plan on staying for 2-3yrs. You might get lucky and get a break sooner. But "plan" on 2 yrs min. There is NO union. Just a gaggle of mronic LIfers who act like they can negotiate wages etc. Such an absolute joke. They could care less about newbies. They just negotiate better exit deals for themselves.

Also , there are better regionals as they go. Not PSA, But others.
I would highly suggest you forget about "negotiating" pay!! Ha!! There are Lifers there that do NOT give 2 slits what you did in college. But...you could move into other areas of running an airline. There are some good jobs outside of Ops. Same bennies, just no JS.

I would suggesst, If you can, wait for Envoy or Skywest. Good flow over to AA (and DL, AS, UA for Skywest),mainline. And while the majors all squable about who pays the most and the best etc etc...AA is very good. And the OT is insane and off the hook. You can easily take home 5K$ a week. or more after your ONE year probation.
Good Luck. PM if you want the dirty dirt.

Where are you now? You menitoned "flight follower" Is that at a freight company? or 135 show?
If you are at the former, I would stay. Mesa can be a supreme •te show. Many have moved on to better places but you should plan on staying for 2-3yrs. You might get lucky and get a break sooner. But "plan" on 2 yrs min. There is NO union. Just a gaggle of mronic LIfers who act like they can negotiate wages etc. Such an absolute joke. They could care less about newbies. They just negotiate better exit deals for themselves.

Also , there are better regionals as they go. Not PSA, But others.
I would highly suggest you forget about "negotiating" pay!! Ha!! There are Lifers there that do NOT give 2 slits what you did in college. But...you could move into other areas of running an airline. There are some good jobs outside of Ops. Same bennies, just no JS.

I would suggesst, If you can, wait for Envoy or Skywest. Good flow over to AA (and DL, AS, UA for Skywest),mainline. And while the majors all squable about who pays the most and the best etc etc...AA is very good. And the OT is insane and off the hook. You can easily take home 5K$ a week. or more after your ONE year probation.
Good Luck. PM if you want the dirty dirt.
NAC is in ANC…which is fine if they have JS privileges…but…that’s a long commute!

What are the OT opportunities at Mesa?

Spirit and NAC have received a resume, I guess we will see what happens on that front. 20hr is not feasible (without OT), I have student loans and child support. I wish I could just suffer and make 20 an hr. but id starve to death or have to live in my car.

What are the OT opportunities at Mesa?

Spirit and NAC have received a resume, I guess we will see what happens on that front. 20hr is not feasible (without OT), I have student loans and child support. I wish I could just suffer and make 20 an hr. but id starve to death or have to live in my car.
OT is always available.

As someone who has dispatched in that environment: there’s a reason you need three days off from dispatching there. You will absolutely go bonkers if you work OT there for long periods.

My longest run was 13 days…and by day 10, I was ready to call in fatigued.

This is not a place with a good maintenance program, pleasant coworkers, or good training.

It’s the atmosphere, not the work, that isn’t worth $20 an hour.

Get your experience, learn all you can and try not to pick up bad habits, update your resume and move on asap. Living there will be hard with that pay. When i was there in 2016 at 14/hr it was hard and I imagine 20/hr in 2024 is about the same. If you have an opportunity to jump to a ULCC, do it.

In theory:
Get your experience (heavy international), and move on to better things

Know a couple of people that worked there and on to the big leagues

May seem more interesting then a 30 min regional flight lol

In theory:
Get your experience (heavy international), and move on to better things

Know a couple of people that worked there and on to the big leagues

May seem more interesting then a 30 min regional flight lol

hit me with the clapped out mad dog and its 20 MELs that’s better put together than some door plugs while trying to avoid hot FIRs. I’ll take that on the resume over IAH-BOI on some CRJ

I had an Mesa/UA flight from IAH to BZN everyday/night. One night it was bad. snow, sleet, fog, marxists, You name it.
But my CA was a badass... she told me "just fill me up until Im dripping on the tarmac"...YES..That is actually what SHE SAID.
She rocked it! On time, not a ripple in the chablis! Some of these Pilots are awesome good fun.

Back