Line Service Pay

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I have to start being nicer to those guys. $13/hour in the NYC area???? That's like right on the line between cardboard box and paper bag.

PS. I will say that the pax seem to have an idea. They generally tip line circus, and almost ALWAYS at TEB or HPN (or BOS, for that matter). But still.

I guess for a family man it's not the best salary, but great for me. Plus, it's good for networking and meeting new pilots. I wish I lived on industrial avenue, across Meridian TEB! lol

I guess for a family man it's not the best salary, but great for me. Plus, it's good for networking and meeting new pilots. I wish I lived on industrial avenue, across Meridian TEB! lol

+1

Being able to talk to many people from all over the country has been a great benefit of working the line. One dudes opinion is subjective, but when you can shoot the breeze with 100 or so dudes (or gals), the opinions become qualitative. It got my buddy a CFI position when none were available (he chose an FBO that had a flight school associated with it), and landed me a job with a charter company (I chose an FBO with ties to a 135 outfit). Many make a career out of it.

I have not worked the line where they pump Jet A but one of the line guys at Atlantic TEB was making fun of me and telling me how much money he made and how we needed to "get a union". Most of his wages came from tips. I cant tell you how many times I unloaded all of the bags while the line crew collected tips.

I was good natured about it and asked him to dump the LAV.

I have not worked the line where they pump Jet A but one of the line guys at Atlantic TEB was making fun of me and telling me how much money he made and how we needed to "get a union". Most of his wages came from tips. I cant tell you how many times I unloaded all of the bags while the line crew collected tips.

Hahaha! Awesome! I very rarely got tips, so most of my money was from OT. I always tried to be there to help unload bags. Most of our planes were Gulfstreams which pretty much require two people anyways.

Most of the time that I did a lav dump I got tipped rather exorbitantly.

Fully experienced with 4 years has only got one up to 13.59/hr working @ a Signature in Southern California. 40 hours a week and a lot of work.

Fully experienced with 4 years has only got one up to 13.59/hr working @ a Signature in Southern California. 40 hours a week and a lot of work.
Sounds like Signature. Probably minimally staffed, and lots of OT? There were a couple weeks where I worked four 16 hour days in a row. One point I worked 14 days straight. Mostly by my doing, but still. Tons of OT.

I have always heard we werent the greatest FBO. Which sucks, but I tried to keep the service good at our location. Maybe the smaller locations are better.

I don't blame the flight the little guys. Management keeps you so understaffed it is impossible to keep up. I always budget an extra 1/2 hour so I'm not the guy yelling for service. VNY is the exception. They are pretty good.

It's a trend happening at all the FBOs.

I don't blame the flight the little guys. Management keeps you so understaffed it is impossible to keep up. I always budget an extra 1/2 hour so I'm not the guy yelling for service. VNY is the exception. They are pretty good.

Indeed. Glad you recognize it. Some pilots wonder why there isnt a line guy at their airplane all the time when there are two line guys trying to deal with five airplanes at the same time.

Indeed. Glad you recognize it. Some pilots wonder why there isnt a line guy at their airplane all the time when there are two line guys trying to deal with five airplanes at the same time.

Yeah. Saddest day flying this year is when kaiser air at OAK reduced staffing. They still do a good job considering, but it isn't the same. That place used to be awesome.

I hope most pilots that fly in feel the same way. Often we find ourselves spread thin, however, I do take some amount of pride in thinking ahead of the game to provide everyone with great service. Its hard to do especially with other uncontrollable factors, or almost worst, inconstant factors from with in.

Pay is not great for line service at most locations, but if you're there for the right reasons, the light at the end of the tunnel is worth paying your dues for a few years.

Back