**EVERYTHING*** you wanted to know about the AT-SAT

I noticed a lot of people posted their own experience about the at sat and what it was like and what was on it, so here is mine. I took it on Jan 9th.

It started at 8:30.

When you walk in they take your id's and ask you to pick a number, thats the computer they assign you.

Theres a 15 minutes speech just going over the rules and the test.

The test is broken up into blocks with certain sections in each block before you take a break/lunch.

The first Block of the test consisted of dials, math, angles and scan, in that order. Then a 15 minute break.

The dials sectionis identical to the green book section, no changes.

The math is a lot easier than the green book, although i think the green book helped. There are slight differences though. There are 5 practice questions. The "Arrival" and "Destination" time is in zulu and the speed is in Knots, but there is no need to do any convertions. I found it pretty easy to sometimes look at the answers to chose from and put those numbers into the formula to see if it fits.

The dials and scan are also extremely similar to the green book software.

After the first break its time to do letter factory.

SO MUCH EASIER THAN GREEN BOOK.
The differences are; you get letters you need and shouldnt drop any letters (i didnt, and know most people in the test didnt), You only have to click on the belt and the storage box to move a letter, when ordering boxes you order by individual color and can never completely run out of a certain box, so order when theres ony 1 left. The most intense difference is after a set of 4 question, the entire factory section restarts fresh. The questions are pretty much all based on the look of the screen, what you would need to fill what and more complex stuff than how many time have you order boxes, or called quality control. The entire section lasts about an hour. Then you get a lunch.

After lunch you get the ATST section. If you buy the green book you should DEFINATLY GET THE UPDATE. It runs almost exactly like the test. But the test is slightly different. Random planes do appear but you have to cick and wait for the next refresh to move them. You can also control only 1 plane at a time and need to complete a command on the initial plane before you can highlight another. Also the test makes you enter and airport in a certain direction, that changes throughout the session. (i crashed 2 planes) Then another 15 minute break.

You come back to the last part of the test, analogies and personalities.
The analogies consist of 30 word problems and 16 figure problems. The word problems are based on definition, spelling patters and anunciation.

The personality test is long. ha ha

The main thing I found is that it is important to follow every direction the test gives you. Also know when the practice time is over and its the real deal.

The enviorment is pretty relaxed but quite.

Hope this helps people about to take the test, sorry it was such a long post.

i took the test today and i gotta say all the advice in the forum really helped. especially on letter factory. not sure who said it but who ever did say keep talking to yourself about everything thats happening was right. it really did help and i remembered alot of the answers to the questions at the end of each segment. only thing i did poorly on was ATST. crashed one plane and had only a few separation errors but i had alot of procedural errors i wasnt even aware of. oh well thankfully that portion isnt weighted heavily so i shouldnt be to worried. but like everyone else the analogies are killer. they are imposible to study for and all depend on having a wide vocab which was never my stong suit in school. now i just gotta wait for the score.

overall anyone thats taking the test in the future just read everything in here and you should do fine.

i took the test today and i gotta say all the advice in the forum really helped. especially on letter factory. not sure who said it but who ever did say keep talking to yourself about everything thats happening was right. it really did help and i remembered alot of the answers to the questions at the end of each segment. only thing i did poorly on was ATST. crashed one plane and had only a few separation errors but i had alot of procedural errors i wasnt even aware of. oh well thankfully that portion isnt weighted heavily so i shouldnt be to worried. but like everyone else the analogies are killer. they are imposible to study for and all depend on having a wide vocab which was never my stong suit in school. now i just gotta wait for the score.

overall anyone thats taking the test in the future just read everything in here and you should do fine.

Those analogies are ridiculous even if you have a large vocabulary.

so i got my test score back (86.9) but now what do i do? i was told to wait for an email..but how long does that take?

I'll be nice (since I was afraid to post anything on this forum for about the first 3 weeks after I joined). Pubnat refers to the group in which you applied. Seeing as you recently tested, I'm guessing you're probably in Pubnat 5 or 6, like myself. However, this question has ben answered before, and in the future look around a little bit and see if you can find the answer before you ask a pretty basic question :) I promise it's goingto save you a lot of ribbing.

Maybe this has been covered...if so, I apologize, there is a lot of posts to filter through when looking for an answer to a particular question...

Do ppl with previous ATC certification (case in point 8 years with the Navy) have to take the AT-SAT?My husband is in the app process and we are not really sure of this one....

Jen

clarification....he took the AWT (airman written test) in the Navy, which was required to get your ATC certification....

Back