Dispatcher Resources on the WWW

Karee

Marginal Member
What (free and available to the public) online resources do you find yourself returning to day after day on the desk as a dispatcher?

Post links below, even if you think everyone already uses it.
1638377804420.gif

Not a DX anymore but I still goto:

wunderground makes it pretty easy to get after the GFS, ETA, NAM model runs too.

Not a DX anymore but I still goto:

wunderground makes it pretty easy to get after the GFS, ETA, NAM model runs too.

Been a while since I've seen someone refer to the ETA model

I've found myself really enjoying windy.com on the desk lately. Free and provides you with a ton of info including GFS/NAM model overlays as well as a more granular wx obs when you select a certain station. Oh and all the colors! (Not in our A010 obviously) :)

I also really enjoy having earthcam on one of my browsers especially when TS is rolling through or fog is forecasted.

Been a while since I've seen someone refer to the ETA model
*grabs cane and dentures*
What's that sonny? Speak into my good ear? BNA is the nashville airport, did you say BNA? BOY I remember Nashville, when i was but a lad you would drive yourself there, in a car no less, with a standard transmission. Ohh it was a vtec but nothing like todays engines, with their fadec magic and their rock and roll. We were happy to drive there, with our own hands! And.... What did you ask?

I use the College of Dupage weather website a lot (COD NEXLAB: Satellite and Radar). They have a great satellite product with a lot of options and overlays. And under the weather data tab at the top, there's a link to several Forecast Models.

ah yes I use the COD site often as well as this for full GOES16 images outside the CONUS since they mainly focus on North America:

Having been a dispatcher for an Alaska based airline and now a controller in Alaska, I regularly still check AWC METARs and the Alaska FAA Webcams on a regular basis, mostly to see how my day at work might go.

FREE but gotta make a login. AWESOME to use during summer for both 2 and 8 hour forecasts with lighting and TCFs. The 2 hour range you can look 15 by 15 minutes.

Miami (you can replace ZMA with any center and it will load up the CWSU for that center. Very good to see what ATC is thinking and you can even see their pre duty briefing to see how good or how bad your day will be.

Last edited:

FREE but gotta make a login. AWESOME to use during summer for both 2 and 8 hour forecasts with lighting and TCFs. The 2 hour range you can look 15 by 15 minutes.

Miami (you can replace ZMA with any center and it will load up the CWSU for that center. Very good to see what ATC is thinking and you can even see their pre duty briefing to see how good or how bad your day will be.
Be careful using it more than a few hours out. The further you look, the less accurate it is. They utilize the HRRR model data along with many other sources as well. For more models when planning international long-haul flights, I like to use TropicalTidbits for US planning and find Windy a handy tool for other parts of the world as you are also able to check the other sources of data around the world.

Be careful using it more than a few hours out. The further you look, the less accurate it is. They utilize the HRRR model data along with many other sources as well. For more models when planning international long-haul flights, I like to use TropicalTidbits for US planning and find Windy a handy tool for other parts of the world as you are also able to check the other sources of data around the world.
Yep. It’s +2 hours in Cospa before the HRRR kicks in. I’m partial to the NAM 3KM model for short time. It is usually more accurate than others.

Yep. It’s +2 hours in Cospa before the HRRR kicks in. I’m partial to the NAM 3KM model for short time. It is usually more accurate than others.
Before the HRRR kicks in? Speaking of HRRR I love the 6 and 18z runs as you can get 48 hours out.

Back