Blue Angels in IMAX

Looks pretty good. Wish they had filmed this when they were still flying the Lord's Chariot (the legacy Hornet). Know and have flown with a few of the team here, before they were blues. One of the more featured guys here was a new JO when I was his squadron training O. Lots of memories of that little rascal, albeit now (and here) a LCDR and now former Blue. I'm excited that he got to have this part of his life captured for eternity

I was subconsciously trying to find a reason to go to the CA Science Center, I suspect it was to see the full stack STS with Endeavor hanging up there as if it was ready to go but perhaps this will get me down to the IMAX screen there sooner. I hate/love going to the Coliseum (the center is adjacent). They have some cool things there including an A-12 (if you don't know what that is pack your bags and go home) and an F-20. No one knows what an F-20 is. These sorts of things are always better enjoyed on a huge screen rather than a phone.

No one knows what an F-20 is
1711424869614.jpeg

Looks pretty good. Wish they had filmed this when they were still flying the Lord's Chariot (the legacy Hornet). Know and have flown with a few of the team here, before they were blues. One of the more featured guys here was a new JO when I was his squadron training O. Lots of memories of that little rascal, albeit now (and here) a LCDR and now former Blue. I'm excited that he got to have this part of his life captured for eternity

As a naval aviator, you prefer the legacy Hornet, to the Super Hornet?

As a naval aviator, you prefer the legacy Hornet, to the Super Hornet?

If you were to ask me this on the eve of WWIII, I would say absolutely not. The Super Hornet is incomparable in terms of combat systems and capabilities. But she (the Hornet) was my first, and she was fast (comparatively). And I'd say, a prettier jet, though I am biased. Not all opinions are rational :)

If you were to ask me this on the eve of WWIII, I would say absolutely not. The Super Hornet is incomparable in terms of combat systems and capabilities. But she (the Hornet) was my first, and she was fast (comparatively). And I'd say, a prettier jet, though I am biased. Not all opinions are rational :)

As long as you can make it to the next gas station before it closes.

F-20 was a kickass plane, I wish it had been ordered/built.

I remember insisting that my parents watch the 60 Minutes segment they did on the F-20 with me. I don't remember why it didn't sell, but I did my part for the program by buying the model kit.

And then I lost the canopy to it mid-kit build. Monumentally frustrating.

looking forward to the film but won't see it in IMAX. Honestly would make me sick........

@knot4u :

Thanks to Fred Cone, you bet your ASS you know people do. Give me some back-up @MikeD

Absolutely damn right.

With what that guy has survived in life and in aviation specifically, nearly getting his ass killed in the collision that killed everyone else in the other plane, we have been lucky to have him in our lifetime as a teacher and mentor.

I remember insisting that my parents watch the 60 Minutes segment they did on the F-20 with me. I don't remember why it didn't sell, but I did my part for the program by buying the model kit.

And then I lost the canopy to it mid-kit build. Monumentally frustrating.

Carter Administration put a halt to technology transfer in the form of front-line fighters and weapons systems. Carter also was limiting funding for military assistance.

Northrop sought to fill the niche with the F-20. Reagan reversed the technology transfer restrictions, approving sale of front-line fighters with generous military assistance.

Interest in the F-20 immediately waned.

Back