AGI prior to CFI

Jayrock

Hey, I just wanted to double check...

I am planning to take the FOI very soon with the intention of getting my AGI. I'll then take the FIA and will eventually move towards the CFI. With that in mind, I guess my question is, since I only have to take the FOI test once, do I bring my AGI certificate, test results, or both to the eventual CFI checkride? Also, I guess I'm a little confused, but why do I only have to take the FOI test once and the FIA test twice (once for AGI and once for CFI)? Is there a difference in the two test depending on what your going for? Why can't you just bring an AGI certificate to a CFI practical?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the AGI certificate yet. My thoughts were that I'd knock it out since it is only two written tests, and then, move on the the CFI.

So with that in mind, what then needs to happen? I understand I only have to take the FOI written one time--so would I bring the test results, the AFI cert, or both to the CFI practical?

Additionally, what is the difference between the two FIA writtens--one for the AGI and the other for the CFI? I'm just trying to figure out why one could not bring an AGI certificate to a CFI practical to satisfy the written test requirements.

And please, somebody, feel free to let me know if I have it all backwards!!!

unless you don't plan on ever becoming an instructor why would you get your AGI? as long as your a CFI you don't need an AGI to teach groundschool.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the AGI certificate yet. My thoughts were that I'd knock it out since it is only two written tests, and then, move on the the CFI.

So with that in mind, what then needs to happen? I understand I only have to take the FOI written one time--so would I bring the test results, the AFI cert, or both to the CFI practical?

Additionally, what is the difference between the two FIA writtens--one for the AGI and the other for the CFI? I'm just trying to figure out why one could not bring an AGI certificate to a CFI practical to satisfy the written test requirements.

And please, somebody, feel free to let me know if I have it all backwards!!!

You need to take the FIA twice, once for the AGI and once for the CFI. I honestly see no reason of getting your AGI first. When I did my FIA I took it twice in the same day (only have to study once, the tests are almost identical). Then when you go to take your CFI ride you show the examiner your writen results and ask him to issue you an AGI, I was told by the chief pilot where I was training that this way he is already writing you one white slip, it makes it easier for him to write the second one.

It worked for me,

It is a good idea to get the AGI if you want to teach ground school while working on getting the CFI or commercial. Start earning money and teaching experience earlier.

Another side to the story I heard was thus:

If you get your AGI, you can sign people off for knowledge tests without using your CFI number. This will help keep your pass rate higher, for easier renewal of CFI certificate.

/shrug.

Another side to the story I heard was thus:

If you get your AGI, you can sign people off for knowledge tests without using your CFI number. This will help keep your pass rate higher, for easier renewal of CFI certificate.

/shrug.

Ummm...a couple things

First of all, for CFI renewal, only practical tests count. Knowledge tests results are irrelevent. Also, how many students do you know of that actually fail the knowledge test and pass the pratical? Especially with products like Gleim, knowledge test pass rates will more likely bring your ratio up, rather than down, and I'd rather use my CFI cert if that were the case.

Unless you're going to teach ground school or are dead set on the gold seal, there is no point to any of the GI's.

What I want to know, is why the heck anyone would get the Basic ground instructor over the advanced ground instructor. You can do a whole lot more with the advanced, and its the exact same freaking test!!!

to answer the question, you still have to take both writen (AGI and FIA) if you want your CFI and ground instructor certificates.

Its kinda the same as the IRA and FII writtens. Exactly the same question bank, but just cause you have your instrument written doesnt mean you meet the requirement for the CFII.

Yip, I understand completely what a lot of you guys are saying... And again, thanks for all the replies. However, for me, I simply want the dang AGI certificate! So with that in mind, it looks like it's going to be FOI, AGI, FIA.

And double dang, looks like I'll be taking the FOI today, woot!

Good luck on the FOI. Should be pretty easy. That is by far the easiest written exam in the FAA's arsenal. I bought the book, studied for 4 hours and took the test the same day and got 100%.

Yip, I understand completely what a lot of you guys are saying... And again, thanks for all the replies. However, for me, I simply want the dang AGI certificate! So with that in mind, it looks like it's going to be FOI, AGI, FIA.

And double dang, looks like I'll be taking the FOI today, woot!

Why do you want it so bad?

You don't take the FIA twice. There is a test for every certificate.

You can't take the Private and get a Rec or Sport. You can't take the ATP and get a Commercial. You can't take an FIA to get a Ground Instructor.

You take the Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI) written to get that certificate.

Then, of course, you don't have the results, because you turn them in to get the certificate. Then, you take the AGI certificate with you to the CFI checkride in place of the FOI.

Back