A day in the life of an American 737 FO

I don't think anyone on either side cares if American burns to the ground. Management because they still get paid, and labor because it doesn't seem as though it's a place worth working for anymore.

The bad thing about how skewed the bankruptcy process is against labor is just this. No matter if the company succeeds or fails, most of the management types will see massive payouts and/or bonuses so they're going to run labor's "Titanic" as close as possible, if not into, that iceberg as possible to eek out the biggest win possible.

if they hit the berg, they get paid. If they narrowly miss it, they still get massively paid.

If we're fling for United and the deadhead is the last leg of the trip we aren't positive space...true story. Just the highest level of nonrev.
Wow really? So if you dont get on do they get you a hotel, roll your day off and you get junior manned then following day?

Wow really? So if you dont get on do they get you a hotel, roll your day off and you get junior manned then following day?

Hotels cost money. And they're hoping you just jumpseat home.

Plus, unless they're paid at the full rate, there's no financial "skin" off their back.

Yup. Though like Derg said, they're hoping you'll find your own way home. Company claims its a United policy that they can't negotiate.

Might be true, but our contract says you get me home.

I used to experience those taxi speeds behind US airways all the time out of SFO. I seriously almost had to taxi in reverse to keep from running into them without constantly riding my brakes
I get the same thing from time to time. It's either reverse or ride the brakes the whole taxi because other than turning the engines off, I can't go that slow with positive.. or even slightly negative pitch. I usually end up coming to a complete stop and waiting for them to move a bit and then moving again.

Yup. Though like Derg said, they're hoping you'll find your own way home. Company claims its a United policy that they can't negotiate.

Might be true, but our contract says you get me home.
Wow that sucks. On our side it's a lot different, maybe a carryover from the CAL days but we get 100% pay on DHs with PS regardless. I've heard of a few guys who couldn't get on the last DH and company had to send them the next day, so rolled day that gets restored later and 150% pay for working on a day off. This better not change with the new TA!

Wow that sucks. On our side it's a lot different, maybe a carryover from the CAL days but we get 100% pay on DHs with PS regardless. I've heard of a few guys who couldn't get on the last DH and company had to send them the next day, so rolled day that gets restored later and 150% pay for working on a day off. This better not change with the new TA!

We get 100% pay. Just not a guaranteed ride home. Most of the time it works out, but the times it doesn't, suck pretty bad.

I remember back in the blasted, hateful days of the 99, I'd drive at rotation speed to get in front of anything airline (with the exception of SWA, obviously). But I've adopted the "chill" attitude as an Old Man. The only times I'm in a legit hurry anymore, I've got "Lifeguard" parting the seas for me, anyway. The rest of the time, well, Not My Problem. So much more pleasant when you accept that you're just a tiny little cog in a huge, stupid, dysfunctional machine.

I will say that these stories drastically reduce whatever residual SJS I might still be harboring. I fly with me, myself, I, some medical types whose cynicism makes me look like Polyanna, and a kid who's strapped to a gurney and likely comatose. Anyone who wags their finger in my face is likely to get an IV full of narcotics. I sometimes wonder how you put up with the grand, absurd, barking-mad Spectacle of it all. My hat's off to y'all for not stealing a couple of cold ones and popping the slide.

We don't get a guaranteed ride home on L-UAL either, or at least that's how it was when I was based in Chicago.

We get 100% pay. Just not a guaranteed ride home. Most of the time it works out, but the times it doesn't, suck pretty bad.
I'm surprised. I never had that issue. Of course, I usually cancel my deadhead anyway since I don't live in base. However, our deadheads are usually positive space, even at the last leg.

I remember back in the blasted, hateful days of the 99, I'd drive at rotation speed to get in front of anything airline (with the exception of SWA, obviously). But I've adopted the "chill" attitude as an Old Man. The only times I'm in a legit hurry anymore, I've got "Lifeguard" parting the seas for me, anyway. The rest of the time, well, Not My Problem. So much more pleasant when you accept that you're just a tiny little cog in a huge, stupid, dysfunctional machine.

I will say that these stories drastically reduce whatever residual SJS I might still be harboring. I fly with me, myself, I, some medical types whose cynicism makes me look like Polyanna, and a kid who's strapped to a gurney and likely comatose. Anyone who wags their finger in my face is likely to get an IV full of narcotics. I sometimes wonder how you put up with the grand, absurd, barking-mad Spectacle of it all. My hat's off to y'all for not stealing a couple of cold ones and popping the slide.

Are any of the nurses hot? I mean...cynical...smart...hot. You could get some play out of that if you were smart. Not that you're smart. I mean, I could get some play out of it in your shoes. You'd probably get close to the goal line and find out the chick was going to vote (d) or (r) and go on a Ron Paul diatribe just as you were going to get your bone worked on or something and blow it. But...what was I saying...oh, yeah - are any of the nurses hot?

Are any of the nurses hot? I mean...cynical...smart...hot. You could get some play out of that if you were smart. Not that you're smart. I mean, I could get some play out of it in your shoes. You'd probably get close to the goal line and find out the chick was going to vote (d) or (r) and go on a Ron Paul diatribe just as you were going to get your bone worked on or something and blow it. But...what was I saying...oh, yeah - are any of the nurses hot?

A number of them are hot. They're all married, of course. Which wouldn't stop you, I'm sure, but I know only short-rations, hard-living, and the Manly Virtue which accompanies the Freight Way. Women are for looking at lasiviously and breeding with dutifully (and rapidly) to increase The Tribe's Genetic Diversity when their menfolk fall to our swords. Or, well, maybe Crash-Axes? Regardless, Women are plunder, simply wombs-with-legs which will spread far and wide the Seed of the Freight-Vandals, should Odin look upon us with favor. So it is written! So it shall be!

Did you really need to go as life guard?

Depends on what you mean by "need". The latest installment of "Boardwalk Empire" had almost certainly downloaded by the time I blocked in. If that's not an Emergency, I don't know what is.
Nice. I was referencing that other thread about the subject. Watching the seas part is, interesting.

Back