4) Class E with differentiated floors
5) Class E above Class B
6) Class E above Class C
7) Class E above Class D

Is he correct?

FAR 71.71 said:
§ 71.71 Class E airspace.
Class E Airspace consists of:
(a) The airspace of the United States, including that airspace overlying the waters within 12 nautical miles of the coast of the 48 contiguous states and Alaska, extending upward from 14,500 feet MSL up to, but not including 18,000 feet MSL, and the airspace above FL 600, excluding -

(1) The Alaska peninsula west of longitude 160°00'00" W.; and
(2) The airspace below 1,500 feet above the surface of the earth.

(b) The airspace areas designated for an airport in subpart E of FAA Order 7400.9P (incorporated by reference, see § 71.1) within which all aircraft operators are subject to the operating rules specified in part 91 of this chapter.

(c) The airspace areas listed as domestic airspace areas in subpart E of FAA Order 7400.9P (incorporated by reference, see § 71.1) which extend upward from 700 feet or more above the surface of the earth when designated in conjunction with an airport for which an approved instrument approach procedure has been prescribed, or from 1,200 feet or more above the surface of the earth for the purpose of transitioning to or from the terminal or enroute environment. When such areas are designated in conjunction with airways or routes, the extent of such designation has the lateral extent identical to that of a Federal airway and extends upward from 1,200 feet or higher. Unless otherwise specified, the airspace areas in the paragraph extend upward from 1,200 feet or higher above the surface to, but not including, 14,500 feet MSL.

(d) The Federal airways described in subpart E of FAA Order 7400.9P (incorporated by reference, see § 71.1).

(e) The airspace areas listed as enroute domestic airspace areas in subpart E of FAA Order 7400.9P (incorporated by reference, see § 71.1). Unless otherwise specified, each airspace area has a lateral extent identical to that of a Federal airway and extends upward from 1,200 feet above the surface of the earth to the overlying or adjacent controlled airspace.

(f) The airspace areas listed as offshore airspace areas in subpart E of FAA Order 7400.9P (incorporated by reference, see § 71.1) that are designated in international airspace within areas of domestic radio navigational signal or ATC radar coverage, and within which domestic ATC procedures are applied. Unless otherwise specified, each airspace area extends upward from a specified altitude up to, but not including, 18,000 feet MSL.

My student today told me there are "7" types of Class E Airspace:

1) Class E Surface
2) Class E starting at 700'
3) Class E starting at 1200"
5) Class E above Class B
6) Class E above Class C
7) Class E above Class D

Is he correct?

Well...ummm...if it helps him remember it better, I guess that works, but it's not really different types. Class E is Class E, simple as that.

You could say all of those same things about Class B airspace if you wanted to, but the fact is, it's still just Class B.

Dont forget the floor of the Echo airspace above Alpha airspace that starts at 60,001

Or the Echo airspace between 14,500 and 17,999

So that makes Nine.

I just remember "SET VODA":

Surface area
Extension to a surface area
Transition area

Victor Airway
Offshore (controlled airspace beyond 12 NM from the coast of the US)
Domestic Enroute areas
Above class A (above FL600)

So there are CFIs out there that don't know little things like Class Echo at 60,001??

That makes me feel better... My CFI checkride is next week and I have never been this nervous. As a result I have been studying and eating up information round the clock for the past month. I currently have 5 different books that I study everyday including the FAR/AIM and the Private and Instrument/Commercial Jepp books. A question like this about Class E would roll right off the tip of my tounge including all the altitudes, visibilty & clould distance requirments, etc...

So maybe I am actually ready for this checkride? I just wish it was over with! The horror stories of the FSDO examiners and that 80% fail rate I hear about is making me lose sleep and encouraging me never to put a book down. Seriously last night I had a dream (nightmare?) that involved a page with Part 61.87 on it floating in front of my eyes...:confused:

I think there's been far too much slack cut for him along the way.

There's nothing wrong with telling a person they need to understand a particular area of knowledge better.

Making cracks about being from a pilot mill is unnecessary and out of line, in my opinion.

It'd be nice if every CFI had flawless knowledge the day after they passed their CFI checkride, but the world doesn't work that way. This is a classic example of why being a CFI is valuable...it makes one dig deeper in to the FARs than they would as just a regular pilot.

I know I haven't been a perfect CFI all along, and I'm still not, for that matter. Quiz me long enough and you're guaranteed to find something I don't know. I suspect you'd be the same.

So to say, "As a CFI you ought to know this stuff better," that's one thing, but to come out with jabs about being from a pilot mill...I'd take that as a straight out insult.

Well, sorry there are some things I don't know...........

keep posting, brother..i've been teaching since the mid-90's and still have to study/review every week to stay abreast of all the myriad questions people ask of a cfi. aeronautical knowledge is like a '500-lb gorilla'..you can never learn and retain it all in absolute..can only try your best. i can strive for excellence, but perfection is 'god's realm'. at least you take an active interest in learning like the rest of us on this forum. i still get surprised from time to time myself on material i thought i knew cold.:bandit:

My student today told me there are "7" types of Class E Airspace:

1) Class E Surface
2) Class E starting at 700'
3) Class E starting at 1200"
5) Class E above Class B
6) Class E above Class C
7) Class E above Class D

Is he correct?

Hello, I´m a Instrument Rated Private Pilot, right now working in my Commercial License. Probably I don´t have all the experience you guys have, but I will have to disagree with you all. If you all take the 2016 AIM, chapter 3-2-6, subsection e, it specifically says this:

"TYPES of Class E Airspaces:
1. Surface area designated for an airport.
2. Extension to a surface area.
3. Airspace used for transition.
4. En Route Domestic Areas.
5. Federal Airways.
6. Offshore Airspace Areas.
7. Unless designated at a lower altitude..."

So as you all can see, this student was actually right and the instructors in this case not. Please read the FAR/AIM to get updated because you all are the guys we (students) trust for our knowledge.

PD: You can also use the 2015 FAR/AIM

all seven are class Echo, they are not different types.

Don't let students make stuff up.
Hello, I´m a Instrument Rated Private Pilot, right now working in my Commercial License. Probably I don´t have all the experience you guys have, but I will have to disagree with you all. If you all take the 2016 AIM, chapter 3-2-6, subsection e, it specifically says this:

"TYPES of Class E Airspaces:
1. Surface area designated for an airport.
2. Extension to a surface area.
3. Airspace used for transition.
4. En Route Domestic Areas.
5. Federal Airways.
6. Offshore Airspace Areas.
7. Unless designated at a lower altitude..."

So as you all can see, this student was actually right and the instructors in this case not. Please read the FAR/AIM to get updated because you all are the guys we (students) trust for our knowledge.

PD: You can also use the 2015 FAR/AIM

Back