2018 Health Challenge

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
b52e2eede49f12490c3753c0e2555b32.jpg

LET'S DO THIS! I am determined to lose this stupid 50 lbs that refuses to disappear....In the past 5 years, I've modified diet, added exercise, a fitbit, apple watch, myfitnesspal AND added new docs like nutritionists, cardiovascular etc...All last year, I spent time checking blood levels, seeing doctors, physical therapists etc etc and yet ALL the doctors say that I'm perfectly healthy and there is NO reason or NO anything *internally* that is preventing me from losing the weight. The only holdup is metabolism, diet and AGE. Unfortunately, as we age, it gets harder and harder to get the weight OFF and there's no way to ramp up the metabolism except by losing weight and being more fit. Being in my late 40's, the fact that I haven't lost even 5 lbs this past year with ALL the little changes I've made the past 5 years simply drives me crazy now. So, I'm back to the 80% diet, 20% exercise as recommended by my nutritionist and I invite you to join me on the next 6 month quest.

I say 6 months because 6 months of slow change is doable, even in a travel society like ours. In 21 DAYS, you can build a "habit"...in 6 months, it's rule of thumb that you *should* see some change whether weight, inches, triglicerides, A1C, thyroid, etc. We could go for a year and maybe we should considering our daily lives are totally not consistent, but I think 6 months could be enough to get us on track and if we want to keep going after that 6 months, I'm all for it.

If you lose too much in a 6 month period of time, the nutritionist says it will be difficult to maintain afterwards and that brings in the potential for YoYo effect. I do NOT watch the scale more than once a month. the scale every week tells me nothing because...water and hormonal weight (we ALL have it). The scale once a month tells me whether or not I'm going in the right direction. Doing diets like Atkins, Whole30, Paleo, fasting etc aren't maintainable on a long term basis, in my opinion...so I'm not going to do them. You may try them if you like but I don't think they're applicably healthy for the organs *in the long term*. I may do a healthy green 3 day juice cleanse every now and then because...gut health matters! Honestly, I work on eating "clean and green" and we regularly prepare our own food and learn to cook dishes so we know what goes into our food...My biggest challenges are eating out too often where I can't "count" in myfitnesspal and eating too much sugar and cheese (I'm a cheesehead). :bang:

So my trick for the next month is going to be weaning off the sugar one teaspoon at a time. :stir: My nutritionist says it's ok to have 150 calories of sugar (good sugars) a day but I want to give 80% of it up to where I'm only ingesting a healthy amount and not feeling the need to binge. I've already cut the sugar out of my coffee, that was step 1 for me last year. Now, I have to cut the rest back and cold turkey won't work for me. Anyone have any good ideas I can try?

I'm also cutting back cheese to 100 calories a day...meaning one string cheese a day or one slice a day (I'm already finding this really difficult to do UGH) and I'm going to work on keeping better track in myfitnesspal as well as upping the challenges/cardio/fitness on my fitbit.

Who would like to join and if you want to join...what are your challenges, goals and tricks or apps that you're going to try this year that would be helpful to the group? Is there anything else we should considers as a healthy addition to our challenge? What will be your first healthy habit of 2018?

Keep in mind...you are accountable for your own honest actions. The only way to make change is to do it yourself and be accountable for it, yourself. This forum and post can be a source of support but you have to create the habits yourself if you want them to STICK. Let's build one healthy habit at a time... ;)

My fitbit info is: https://www.fitbit.com/user/22B4GR
Myfitnesspal info is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/ktaylor458

Who's into making some changes this year?! :)

I'm in too. I need to work on not eating so much bread products (and the holidays are over so that should help!).

Also, Dr. Peppers need to go! More tea, more water, and more coffee!

Cool!!

I think I may take this out of the JC forum and put it into Facebook as it would be easier for me to manage and I can get more activity there as well since quite a few ladies I know are doing the same thing.

Are you both fitbit or FB friends of mine (yet)? I have a hard time keeping track of JC name to IRL name. :confused:
Tracy, I know you is...HAHA and if you noticed, I added you to one of this weeks Fitbit challenges that I'm in.

So to get this week started off....what's one goal you want to start this week?

For me, I think I'll get on the treadmill 30 minutes longer. I actually didn't treadmill all last week, only went to circuit training. so this week, if i can get on the treadmill even one day...that'll be a success. :)

Nice! I'm trying too. Got on the treadmill twice this week... need to fix the eating, but trying to make exercise a habit. Saw you added me on Fitbit :)

I need to get on track so very bad. I've had elevated blood pressure and my mood has been in the dumps most likely from the lack of exercise. Started a bit of cardio today and I feel much better.

A cool website I like for exercise ideas when I am at a hotel with a lacking exercise room is darebee.com they also have a basic app to find view their workouts.

Well, the last month I've gained weight while exercising more o_O. Like, 15 lbs more. I also had a leg work out at an embarrassingly wrong time and had a contract flight in a CJ3 a day later. The cockpit was not conducive to my 6'2" sore frame getting into it. It's only one month into 2018 and the year is looking good overall. How is everyone else's path in 2018?

Well, the last month I've gained weight while exercising more o_O. Like, 15 lbs more. I also had a leg work out at an embarrassingly wrong time and had a contract flight in a CJ3 a day later. The cockpit was not conducive to my 6'2" sore frame getting into it. It's only one month into 2018 and the year is looking good overall. How is everyone else's path in 2018?
Might be gaining weight because your building muscle.

I’m doing good with mine except for the Nachos I just had....

I've been going to the gym regularly since mid-Nov (although missed almost two weeks recently due to being sick). I have had enough of poor fitness levels. Something's gotta give; and if it isn't correcting my poor diet, it's probably going to be losing my medical in the future.
Despite going through the holiday (eating) season, I did manage to drop some weight and added muscle. So I got that going for me, which is nice. Off to a good start...now to keep this train rolling!

I started working out again last November, lost an entire month to the holidays and just got back after it again two weeks ago. Haven't lost any weight (not really trying to) but my resting heart rate is down 10 bpm so I'm pretty happy with that. My goal is to fit back into my race leathers this spring without needing the jaws of life to get me back out of them.

I started working out again last November, lost an entire month to the holidays and just got back after it again two weeks ago. Haven't lost any weight (not really trying to) but my resting heart rate is down 10 bpm so I'm pretty happy with that. My goal is to fit back into my race leathers this spring without needing the jaws of life to get me back out of them.
I paid 1250 bucks for that damn RS Taichi suit, and it's really motivating me to not change shape.

I've been hitting the gym and lifting. My goal is to gain about 10-15 lbs of muscle for the sole purpose of holding my skeleton together. Fortunately my suit is loose in all of the areas people normally have muscle.

Last edited:
I paid 1250 bucks for that damn RS Taichung suit, and it's really motivating me to not change shape.

I've been hitting the gym and lifting. My goal is to gain about 10-15 lbs of muscle for the sole purpose of holding my skeleton together. Fortunately my suit is loose in all of the areas people normally have muscle.
I wish my Dianese had a similar effect. Could have easily just bought another size up with what I’ve dropped on gym memberships and trainers lol.

Cut soda out, no more fried foods, very little sugar and a TON of water. Water is the key factor in the equation. Fun fact, if you cut one 16oz soda from your diet a day it’s roughly 52,000 calories a year or around 16lbs. Keep it up everyone. To a happy, healthy and prosperous 2018 still ahead.

Derek

Cut soda out, no more fried foods, very little sugar and a TON of water. Water is the key factor in the equation. Fun fact, if you cut one 16oz soda from your diet a day it’s roughly 52,000 calories a year or around 16lbs. Keep it up everyone. To a happy, healthy and prosperous 2018 still ahead.

Derek
Damn! I already drink sparkling water!

Went for a run in the arctic blast we are having, so I have that going for me.

Back