Lufthansa 747 balked landing at LAX

That looked like it hurt. Go arounds are free. Had my first on on the big bus this last trip. “Yeah, I don’t think this is going to work.” A bit more trying and we came back.

It's the pressure of being on Live ATC. Similar with what happened to the Hindenburg. The announcer should have said "Oh, the humanity".

IMG_7537.jpeg

Why do pilots insist on pushing the nose down after what their perceive is a firm landing?

Let the plane fly nose down to the runway smoothly. Pushing the nose down (and you can clearly see the elevator) is just dumb. Let it fly onto the runway and then slowly let the nose settle - it hardly takes nose any down elevator.

It’s like they get a firm landing, and think, “oh, if only I can get the nose wheel to touch down quickly, I won’t be flying anymore!”

Newsflash: your wings are still flying.

There are some REALLY awesome aerodynamics things going on in that video. You can see them just run out of energy fifteen feet up, and you can visually see the water vapor ripped out of the air as they're transiting critical AoA. On the go around, you can watch that wing giving everything it's got.

I used it as a teaching point just now to teach about bounced landings.

It's fantastic.

Why do pilots insist on pushing the nose down after what their perceive is a firm landing?

Let the plane fly nose down to the runway smoothly. Pushing the nose down (and you can clearly see the elevator) is just dumb. Let it fly onto the runway and then slowly let the nose settle - it hardly takes nose any down elevator.

It’s like they get a firm landing, and think, “oh, if only I can get the nose wheel to touch down quickly, I won’t be flying anymore!”

Newsflash: your wings are still flying.

They’re lucky that nose didn’t slam down and begin a PIO back and forth, and end up on their back like some MD-11s have.

I bounced once, but it was while trying to grease one on, so the bounce was about a foot or two maybe….touched down lightly then could feel it rise again. But just like a Cessna or Piper, merely lowered the nose maybe a degree while still holding the landing attitude, and the mains touched back down again 2 or so seconds later. Normal landing from there. Uneventful. Nothing urgent or overcontrolling needed to be done.

They’re lucky that nose didn’t slam down and begin a PIO back and forth, and end up on their back like some MD-11s have.

That 747 was headed towards a PIO with those massive elevator inputs although the 747 looks to be more forgiving than the MD-11 at least…. Prior to touchdown full up elevator followed be a large nose down input after impact. On the baulked landing they did a good job freezing the pitch pouring the coals to it and climbing away. If you look at the subsequent landing attempt the elevator inputs are still massive. A good lesson in that a jet that large the pitch inputs have a delayed effect on changing pitch attitude and an even more delayed effect in changing the flight path angle.

So what happened to cause this?

This is a pretty good summary here:

There are some REALLY awesome aerodynamics things going on in that video. You can see them just run out of energy fifteen feet up, and you can visually see the water vapor ripped out of the air as they're transiting critical AoA. On the go around, you can watch that wing giving everything it's got.

I used it as a teaching point just now to teach about bounced landings.

It's fantastic.

Back