Help with developing A320 control feel

Now onto actual training, where we’ll do it all over again. Am I the first JCer to go through ATP’s type rating? As I understand it, only Green has been using them for it, and mostly just for their lower hour hires.
Do they use Green's procedures or are you going to have to scrap the way you learned it to learn it a "new, slightly different, but possibly similar enough" way?

Yeah, sure. But where precisely in the books do they precisely and definitively explicate "magic"? Or is this like reading one of the many "good books" and getting 12 different answers to the same question?

Petitioning Mx with "magic" is almost precisely akin to petitioning the lord with "prayer".

That’s just pilot talk. The Airbus doesn’t do magic. It does exactly what it’s designed to do. It’s been a few years since I was on it, but in normal law it will trim itself to be 1g , and the pilot flying is basically commanding a g-load. For the V1 cut comments, the Bus is a triple axis autopilot. If you don’t correct for a V1 cut once airborne, it will start to do what it can to zero out the yaw/roll. The A320 has been flying since 1988, it’s true and tried. It’s designed to be flown by low timers.

On the other hand, the B737 is also true and tried but not without its own issues. The rudder hardcovers of United and US Air, and MCAS Lion Air and Ethiopian were tragedies that didn’t need to happen.

The 737 is a dual axis AP and you have to do all the rudder work on a V1 cut. You have to trim yourself.

The saying is, the Airbus takes good and and bad pilots, and makes them average pilots. The 737 leaves good pilots as good, but bad pilots as crappy.

Lastly, everyone makes a big deal about Airbus protections, but those wouldn’t kick in until 30 deg nose up, 15 down, and 67 deg bank. That’s stuff you’d never do in a commercial airliner with grandma.

Those talking crap about the Bus never flew it.

The latter. It's not too bad. 98% in common. Of course, it's the 2% that I'm gonna forget.
Well, at least it's only 2%, rather than a half arsed effort at commonality. I don't know if it's easier to unlearn stuff when you're on your first type or your, like, 7th.

Funny and somewhat related aside from a few employers ago. They'd recently jettisoned their last turboprop airplane, and added a shiny jet with vacuum toilets and underwing engines. The Brasilia books had common checklist headings and callouts with the CRJ. The E-jet had distinctly more modern an approach as regards each, with the notion of an actual pilot monitoring as opposed to a "PNF" (old term).

So, of course:

"We rewrote the ERJ and CRJ books to be similar."

Me, having flown ALL the airplanes, when the callouts are 180 degrees off PF versus PM ("who says course alive? whatever, course alive") and the checklist headings ("Taxi? After start? Next chapter please.") aren't even the same across the fleets:
F0E35C94-AC2A-45C9-97A9-53A8E651177D_1_105_c.jpeg

I think the section headings in the book got changed, but damn little else was actually made common, other than (of course) backporting the handful of bad practices from the E-jet to the CRJ.

Alright, I’m back. Would’ve stuck around for the full ride, but form’s stream of consciousness was smoothing my brain.

Passed the checkride, ATP and type rating in hand. And even got the control feel tuned in. Thanks everyone for the help, appreciate it.

Now onto actual training, where we’ll do it all over again. Am I the first JCer to go through ATP’s type rating? As I understand it, only Green has been using them for it, and mostly just for their lower hour hires.

You will be the first but hopefully not the last.

Back