FBO line service advice

Maksym

So I just got hired as an FBO line service tech at one of the major airports in south Florida. Have prior military experience in aviation but never did anything like this. Would like to get some feedback from more experienced guys on what my expectations should be as a new guy, and if you guys have any useful advice about my future job.

The thing I've told every line guy I've trained, is if you don't know something, ask someone. It's far better to maybe look foolish to a co-worker than it is to the pilot whose plane you've just fueled with the wrong type of fuel, for example.

+1 always ask. You can lose your job quickly if you screw up something. Carry your wait. If you see your fellow line tech busy doing something, try and help him out. Be friendly to the crews. Some you will see all the time and it's cool to have great relationships with them. Also it's a great networking job so just be friendly.

It's a pretty good job. It's different every day. Carry your wait, ask questions, be friendly.

Don't break anything and if the boss is around find something to make you look busy. Socialize after he leaves. Repeat.

Don't break anything and if the boss is around find something to make you look busy. Socialize after he leaves. Repeat.
wait a minute! that sounds like something i'm really good at! I think i'll be alright hahaha

Just don't screw up. Its amazing what basic mistakes can happen because someone couldn't ask or take the time to do it right. Pay attention, give attention to detail, and keep your head on a swivel. When things get busy, I work at a slower pace as to not screw up. Don't be 'that guy' that yells over the radio when more than two things are happening at the same time. The learning curve isn't difficult, but that is just new guy, new job stuff. In six months you'll be comfortable. In a year you'll have seen almost everything that can happen. And also, think for yourself and take the initiative to fix issues that come up....no you are probably not in the position to waive a fee or give a discount to the customer, but you can always give them understanding, a smile, and let them know you are personally going to figure out how to make things right. Remember that no matter what you do, no matter how good you are on line, and no matter how good your disposition is, a few customers will get to you and never be pleased. Deal with it, and blow the steam off later, not on your co workers. It is a fun job, you will learn a lot just from being around it. Every day is most certainly different. Everyday will present new challenges for your skill set. Use where you are to your advantage to, I would have never gotten where I am today without working line in terms of flying, knowledge, and friends. Don't be shy to let people know you are coming up through the ranks.

Have fun! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

The stuff everyone said about working hard, pulling your own weight, and always looking to help.

Also, think safety. I saw a lot of weird stuff way back in the day working the line:

Found a co-worker who had slipped with a fuel nozzle and sprayed fuel all up in his face/eyes and was temporarily blind out on the ramp and couldn't signal for help. He went to ER.

Had a co-worker walk into the trailing edge of a plane and put about a 2" gash across his skull, blood all over, he went to ER.

Had a co-worker catch a concrete barrier with a jet fuel semi truck and rip off the hoses.

Found a pilot way out on the corner of the ramp sitting under his plane with his finger stuck in the fuel sump because the valve fell out when he went to test the fuel, had to go get some buckets and mechanics so he could stop serving as a human cork.

Have seen planes way over-fueld.

Have seen jets taxi away dragging a GPU.

Lots of spinning props where they weren't expected.

Just be careful, it can be a very fun job, but you need to take it seriously to prevent yourself and others from getting really hurt.

Here are a few of the things I've taken away from the years of pumping fuel at a busy airport:

- Always ask, never assume (like what was stated above)

-When bonding to a piston plane, don't automatically assume the exhaust is the way to go. If the pilot is there, ask him/her where he prefers. They REALLY appreciate this (or sometimes they'll look at you like you're an idiot)

-Keep your eyes open. Lot's of things that can chop you up or suck you in

-If you're picking up a task that someone hasn't completed yet, double check the previous work. Almost saw a Falcon 900 get away from a tug because the tow bar wasn't correctly hooked up.

-Chocks. You can never have too many chocks

-And the number one thing I took away....A cap full of Pine-Sol when washing jet soaked clothes will take a lot of, if not all, of the jet fuel smell out.

Just take it easy. Every time I've seen someone break something it's been because they were in a hurry. Take it easy does not mean you can just sit back and not pay attention though.

Be thorough and proactive with equipment. So many guys I had working for me were always skipping items on the fuel truck checklist or not using the mat. Next thing you know you have a broken fuel truck, bad fuel, or a scratched up plane.

Do your best to communicate clearly and learn your company's 2-way radio lingo. Use proper phraseology on VHF.

Always be friendly to the customers even though most of the time in your eyes they will look like idiots.

Don't go fetch the prop wash, left handed screw driver, etc. when asked to by the guys who've been around awhile. You'll look like a moron if you do and they'll never let you forget it.

Like others have said.... If its ever in doubt ASK!!!!

In general just keep a level head and look busy when the boss is around. My favorite was always the mop and bucket.

Oh and line guys and mechanics have nothing but time on their hands so if you're gonna pull a prank be ready for a well thought out and embarrassing response prank.

Especially watch out for mechanics. They're crafty lil buggers.

Don't run my planes elevator into a GPU because you were too lazy to get a spotter. :rolleyes: That really effs a day up.

What every body else said. Bust your ass, and get to know based tenants, especially if you want a flying job. Try to learn what your regular customers want. Get to know the aircraft owners names. They like being greeted by name. If a pilot is giving you a hard time, don't give him a hard time back, just smile and say "yes sir" then call him an a**hole behind his back. If you have a tenant that can be "difficult", learn what makes them happy, and give them twice as much effort. It's very satisfying when a normally grumpy customer actually smiles and says thank you.

When I worked at Banyan FXE, there was a customer that could be a big pain in the butt, and people tried to avoid dealing with him. I did the opposite, went out of my way to make him happy, and it paid off cause I ended up flying with him quite a few times.

Good luck.

Back