Escape route?

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
While departing TEB I was told that I’m being refilled on an escape route due to weather along my filed route. The new route was different but through the same sectors, just on adjacent airways and VORs from my original flight plan.

Do escape routes really exist? Or was that the wrong phraseology for a re-route?

While departing TEB I was told that I’m being refilled on an escape route due to weather along my filed route. The new route was different but through the same sectors, just on adjacent airways and VORs from my original flight plan.

Do escape routes really exist? Or was that the wrong phraseology for a re-route?

It's not a technical term. It's called a SWAP reroute. Severe Weather Avoidance Program.

Were you going over White originally by any chance?

Nothing like getting four reroutes on the ground, making as many calls to dispatch, then taking off 2 minutes before you time out 100lb over min takeoff, only to have the departure controller ask "what's your destination" and give you direct

Summer is near!

Nothing like getting four reroutes on the ground, making as many calls to dispatch, then taking off 2 minutes before you time out 100lb over min takeoff, only to have the departure controller ask "what's your destination" and give you direct

Summer is near!
Well that definitely wasn't leaving NY

It's not a technical term. It's called a SWAP reroute. Severe Weather Avoidance Program.

Were you going over White originally by any chance?

SWAP I have heard of, but escape route made me think of Mission Impossible.

This time it wasn’t WHITE, but I think it was GAYEL, westbound out of Bergen County Thunderdome Municipal Airport.

Back