Energy management

Perhaps I should elaborate on what I seek. That is probably wise. I hear in some circles about pilots managing an aircraft energy state. Using the potential energy of altitude, the aircraft's weight, ability to slow down, managing said energy through a descent, keeping power use to a minimum, but carrying enough energy 'on tap' to better effect a go - around if the situation dictates it, but not too much as it can severe consequences on landing.

I've only heard bits and pieces here and there. So, I though I would post the topic here and see if there were some good discussions somewhere on the topic.

Perhaps I should elaborate on what I seek. That is probably wise. I hear in some circles about pilots managing an aircraft energy state. Using the potential energy of altitude, the aircraft's weight, ability to slow down, managing said energy through a descent, keeping power use to a minimum, but carrying enough energy 'on tap' to better effect a go - around if the situation dictates it, but not too much as it can severe consequences on landing.

I've only heard bits and pieces here and there. So, I though I would post the topic here and see if there were some good discussions somewhere on the topic.
Eh... So where to start. Many of us are 121 with defined procedures and companies who send us performance numbers with all that energy on tap or whatever nonsense to get us going in the right direction and clear of all obstacles.

There's a wide world of flying, i only have done some of it, and i know the 121 side best.

Back in 'nam, in the Navajo we'd do go arounds or missed at 30, 2200 instead of bringing power all the way up and props full fwd, but that was for pax comfort. In SE land we'd talk about 800 or 900 foot is the point you can flip a 180 and land opposite direction of runway you just tookoff from.

So you're saying that you have yet to master the anguished cry of "condition levers max!" that will solve whatever high and hot situation you find yourself in, got it.

I don’t know about “anquished cry” and I get it, you want to slow down in ‘El turbo prop, you put throw the conditions levers up and yank or steadily reduce the power levers those props act like a huge air brake slowing you down. Like wise if you need power and lift you bring those power levers up you have immediate thrust and lift to get you out of most jams, as where in a jet you might have up to a critical 7 seconds of spool time where the FADEC decides to give you the power you ask for then gets the engine producing that much needed thrust. That is why a lot of guys come in with the engines spooled up so they have the thrust on demand.

I’m just looking for a good discussion on the topic.

So you're saying that you have yet to master the anguished cry of "condition levers max!" that will solve whatever high and hot situation you find yourself in, got it.
Or when NorCal/SoCal approach asks if you have the airport in sight while at 10k abeam the numbers.

*Devious chuckle*
*Disconnect A/P*

a0909b0edb5d183c8805849dff31c379.gif

Bob Hoover is the 'guy' for energy management. However, you can't talk to him anymore. You can read his book, Forever Flying.

Other than that, think about when you have energy vs. when you need it. An easy one is riding the brakes while taxing if the power is anything other than idle. You shouldn't need brakes and power for taxi. At that point you're consuming fuel just to heat the brakes. Cold weather may dictate brake warming, but generally speaking - you don't drive while pressing the gas and brakes simultaneously.

Last edited:
Bob Hoover is the 'guy' for energy management. However, you can't talk to him anymore. You can read his book, Forever Flying.

Other than that, think about when you have energy vs. when you need it. An easy one is riding the brakes while taxing if the power is anything other than idle. You shouldn't need brakes and power for taxi. At that point you're consuming fuel just to heat the brakes. Cold weather may dictate brake warming, but generally speaking - you don't drive while pressing the gas and clutch simultaneously.

And that's why turboprops have Beta.

You know, for the ladies.

I don’t know about “anquished cry” and I get it, you want to slow down in ‘El turbo prop, you put throw the conditions levers up and yank or steadily reduce the power levers those props act like a huge air brake slowing you down. Like wise if you need power and lift you bring those power levers up you have immediate thrust and lift to get you out of most jams, as where in a jet you might have up to a critical 7 seconds of spool time where the FADEC decides to give you the power you ask for then gets the engine producing that much needed thrust. That is why a lot of guys come in with the engines spooled up so they have the thrust on demand.

I’m just looking for a good discussion on the topic.
Anything with FADEC has some sort of approach idle, which is generally higher than normal flight and/or ground idle, where the spool time is pretty negligible. No worse than a pt6 anyways. Not Garret fast, but meh. If you're sitting sideways, YOU are the voice activated fadec.

You can’t properly manage energy in the way you’re talking without an AOA gauge. Match that with an E-M diagram (if it exists) and then you can talk about max performing your airplane.

Anything else is a healthy approximation at best, and at worst an old wives tale. #onstep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back