A stinky situation

Cruise

Pilot in question is deadheading on a flight, a passenger boarded flight that clearly had no concept of personal hygene. The B.O. emminating from said passenger is disgusting and creating a multi-row cloud of stink. Flight attendants are aware and do nothing.

What do you do as deadheading crew? What do you do if you're made aware as the operating captain?

Pilot in question is deadheading on a flight, a passenger boarded flight that clearly had no concept of personal hygene. The B.O. emminating from said passenger is disgusting and creating a multi-row cloud of stink. Flight attendants are aware and do nothing.

What do you do as deadheading crew? What do you do if you're made aware as the operating captain?
If I was captain he would've been off the flight. If I was a deadheading crew I would try to get the message to the captain through the flight attendants.

It was a long time ago and I remember something similar happening on Southwests little show they had. They gave the guy a bag of cleaning products and new clothes I think.

DH guy, just make the FA aware.

Operating CA - Call dispatch (or who the company designates for pax problems). It is a potential issue if pax start quibbling. Growing discontent and anger are not good. Unless you're flying Hajj out of North Africa. Then it is just a fact.

Day Two, 5:30am: Yesterday was not a fluke, the captain still smells awful. Some strategic use of the gasper fans seems to help a bit. A jumpseater walks up. Plenty of seats in the back, but he’s a new hire 1/2 done with OE that wants to sit up front. Oh yea, he's been camping in a tent for the last few days; he smells even worse than the captain. Cabin secured, clear to close. Click. I suffocate for the next 2 hours.

Day Two, 5:30am: Yesterday was not a fluke, the captain still smells awful. Some strategic use of the gasper fans seems to help a bit. A jumpseater walks up. Plenty of seats in the back, but he’s a new hire 1/2 done with OE that wants to sit up front. Oh yea, he's been camping in a tent for the last few days; he smells even worse than the captain. Cabin secured, clear to close. Click. I suffocate for the next 2 hours.
Do you need the number to ProStands?

Call sick. Can't be a useful crew member when you are puking everywhere.

I've had the stinky pax one before, family from a certain South Asia country connecting to Boise. I mean, I know I don't smell fresh after a long non-rev journey but wow. These were some real stinkers.

Thankfully we weren't full and I had the FAs 'upgrade' some pax around them to empty seats and everyone was reasonably comfortable with the situation. Long flight from ORD that day though, so if we weren't full CS supervisor told me they've asked the stinkers in question to get off before and put them in a hotel to clean up. Not pleasant, but there are options.

If I was captain he would've been off the flight. If I was a deadheading crew I would try to get the message to the captain through the flight attendants.

It was a long time ago and I remember something similar happening on Southwests little show they had. They gave the guy a bag of cleaning products and new clothes I think.

Why am I not surprised that Southwest would be prepared for such an event...

Back