A FYI to ERAU Magna Cum Laude grads from a mere mortal

I’m not saying anything about the veracity of the story, just that with the typos, it looks like a “proof” from the company SouthernJets uses:

Our very own JEP: (sanitized so I don’t get in trouble with intellectual property):

View attachment 77825

I only had a black and white laser to print the proof and took all of 30 seconds to make.
I’m thinking a private browser window might be needed when investigating “…hotmaid.com”.

IDK. Most of the people learn about being an airline pilot through tribal knowledge.

I arrived at SkyWest indoc with 16 or so years of being a 91/135 pilot. I kept my mouth shut and listened. During training I had the good fortune of being paired up with a good captain who was not only cool but helpful and he'd been at SkyWest for 14 years. He gave me a lot of tips for commuting from Denver to the SF Bay. I vividly recall a story he told about getting chewed out by a UAL pilot for not saying hello when non reving. He had to board last and the FAs didn't let him up to the cockpit in the 757 because the boarding door is behind first class. Of course they for sure engaged in a bit of hazing during the sim. Like making me do PAs lol. It was fun though and I learned a lot from it. I barely had time to learn about life at SkyWest and then I was in indoc at my present place of employment and everyone assumed I knew everything about being an airline pilot. Since I was old and "came from a regional."

I've mostly stayed out of trouble at my 121 jobs because I have a lot of life experience. Since I was in my late 30s when hired at SkyWest a lot of people assumed I was a captain on layovers. I helped a male FA who had too much to drink make it back to his room and made sure his fellow FAs who helped me get the FA safely into their room also called in sick for him. I was having my typical one adult beverage at the bar and this poor FA was basically passing out at the bar. The bartender just looked at me like "dude do something about this, you're the oldest guy in the room." Since it seemed to be primarily a hotel used by SkyWest. This bartender thought I was a captain and I should take care of the employee who couldn't handle drinking. The thing is you don't need to be a captain. You just need to know how to navigate these situations with a little life experience.

I feel bad for the UAL employee who may or may not have gone VFR direct to the FAA. Someone sent me a screenshot with her new hire photo at least that is what I am assuming the photo is. A lot of the criticism seems to come from a place of "this person had such a good opportunity presented on a silver platter and didn't have to work for it". Pilots are the worst. I've been on the receiving end of this kind of treatment since I humiliated the LCA at XOJET who did my OE. He apologized for making jokes about my religion but then went on an email list maintained by a retired UAL pilot. He told everyone what a terrible pilot I was and it made the next few years of my life a lot more difficult than they had to be. All over hurt pride. Who knows, he could have been on the SWA crew. That would certainly change my opinion of what happened with the UAL jumpseater so much that I'd be inclined to help fund her legal case. Since I should have started one at XOJET but kept my mouth shut.

Gotta love the memes though.

I’m thinking a private browser window might be needed when investigating “…hotmaid.com”.

Again, not saying it isn’t real, I’m just hyper suspicious of “a friend of a friend had a jump seater”-style stories.
I feel bad for the UAL employee who may or may not have gone VFR direct to the FAA. Someone sent me a screenshot with her new hire photo at least that is what I am assuming the photo is. A lot of the criticism seems to come from a place of "this person had such a good opportunity presented on a silver platter and didn't have to work for it". Pilots are the worst. I've been on the receiving end of this kind of treatment since I humiliated the LCA at XOJET who did my OE. He apologized for making jokes about my religion but then went on an email list maintained by a retired UAL pilot. He told everyone what a terrible pilot I was and it made the next few years of my life a lot more difficult than they had to be. All over hurt pride. Who knows, he could have been on the SWA crew. That would certainly change my opinion of what happened with the UAL jumpseater so much that I'd be inclined to help fund her legal case. Since I should have started one at XOJET but kept my mouth shut.

Gotta love the memes though.

They probably “doxxed” the wrong person and then made her the “inbox” for everyone’s simmering unrelated grievances. The internet will get their pound of flesh, ruin a potentially innocent persons professional life and the move on to the next daily outrage.

Sorry that happened to you and in a better world, they would have faced consequences for doing that. Sadly, when there’s drama and there’s fact, the internet goes with the drama.

Again, not saying it isn’t real, I’m just hyper suspicious of “a friend of a friend had a jump seater”-style stories.

They probably “doxxed” the wrong person and then made her the “inbox” for everyone’s simmering unrelated grievances. The internet will get their pound of flesh, ruin a potentially innocent persons professional life and the move on to the next daily outrage.

Sorry that happened to you and in a better world, they would have faced consequences for doing that. Sadly, when there’s drama and there’s fact, the internet goes with the drama.

Like I said. I've learned more about how not to be a leader and mentor from pilots than how to be one. The screenshot that I got had her full name, hire date, aircraft assignment and company email on it. :oops:

The chief pilot/ owner of a flight school once gave me a personal card that had "Wars fought, beers bought, women caught" as his tagline on it. I was able to discern he was a veteran, pub customer and I guess a bounty hunter that specialized in female fugitives?

@MikeD do you still have your business cards?

My boss’ boss’ boss recently required me to get some business cards, and the whole concept seemed antiquated.

Like, “here’s small, standard-size square of paper with my name, the company’s new name, and a bunch of titles identifying me as an expert lovemaking partner, a veteran •poster and ‘has a good sense of humor’.”

I don’t understand why they want us to put that kind of stuff on there anyway. The box of 250 has not arrived yet.

Slam clicking on the crew means a 100% chance you won’t be involved in any layover shenanigans that could transpire. I’m not jeopardizing a 500k yr job over someone’s alcoholic behavior, horniness, socially awkward commentary, or unwanted approach and/or touching during any layover.

I’ll see ya’ll at the van time tomorrow at xx:yy o’clock!

That =

0d6fb53d-f29c-4847-8693-ad69ffc27b45_text.gif

Oh Jedi Master, ignorance you show.

I never in a million years thought I’d make what I make today.
Well, in your case, first you have to actually GET a $500K/year job. :)

Hm. At my airline, which a think pays slightly more than his, a maxed out 737 CA earns $360/hour.

To be generous, say 90 hours a month nets you $388k / year. Multiply that by a 17% Dc and you get $454k. What am I missing? Per diem? You’d need to average around 100 hours a month to make 500k.

Hm. At my airline, which a think pays slightly more than his, a maxed out 737 CA earns $360/hour.

To be generous, say 90 hours a month nets you $388k / year. Multiply that by a 17% Dc and you get $454k. What am I missing? Per diem? You’d need to average around 100 hours a month to make 500k.

There's a difference between block and CREDIT.

Only 100 hrs? Who's that lazy! :)

Like I said, 500k job. I'm not even including 401K calculations in that. Just pure credit, per diem, profit share.

Untitled.png

May so far, but hoping to pick up one more 2-day trip to take it to 118 hr credit

Untitled.png

Some of us have homes we'd like to spend a little time at. If you've got to work THAT hard to make ends meet, I'd start an OnlyFans account so you can at least 'put it on the table'.

Some of us have homes we'd like to spend a little time at. If you've got to work THAT hard to make ends meet, I'd start an OnlyFans account so you can at least 'put it on the table'.

I pull that off in about 16 days of work. So 14/15 off depending on 30/31 day month. Sometimes (rarely) it means 17 days of work and 13/14 off. At Virgin I was doing 8 2-day trips per month, EWR to either SFO or LAX and back, that was about 94 hrs credit and all pure block. A situation with block = credit. Now, I do the same amount of days worked but far, far higher pay.

95% of my flying are day trips and 2-day trips. In that sense, I touch home every day. I have plenty of time at home. From block in at gate to entering my home is about 45 minutes. Takes me just as long to get to my car at that point as it does to drive home. 8.5 miles from the employee lot.

No OF needed here, son!

I also work smart, not hard. Example: I had a ZIH day trip paying 7:35 and later in the month a Mazatlan day trip paying 5:30 Two days of work = 13:05

ZIH gets taken from me as a training displacement. Paid to stay home. Then, a 2-day CUN trip comes up at Premium 150%. I drop my Mazatlan and then pick up this CUN premium. Now pay protected for the 7:35 ZIH turn, plus 15:45 for the CUN premium. That's a net gain of 10:15 minute pay for working the same days anyway.

There's a difference between block and CREDIT.

Only 100 hrs? Who's that lazy! :)

Like I said, 500k job. I'm not even including 401K calculations in that. Just pure credit, per diem, profit share.

May so far, but hoping to pick up one more 2-day trip to take it to 118 hr credit

There’s a difference between block and credit? No kidding. 🙄

Back