Zyrtec OTC OK?

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Approved for use by airmen?

It's "Allergy-O-Rama" week and I'm running a little skosh on Claritan but the Mrs. has a stash of Zyrtec that I'm wondering if it's OK to use.

Thanks!

Whew! Thanks! Glad I didn't take that then.

Is it because of the pseudoephedra (sp?) in the Zyrtec?

its a shame that its not approved, its the only dang thing that actually works worth a darn for me.

I have bad allergies and zyrtec is what works the best for me, but it makes me drowsy. My doctor prescribes me Allegra-D, he says it is non-sedating. It doesn't make me drowsy and it works pretty good but not as good as zyrtec. If I take zyrtec I just make sure that I take it before I go to bed, instead of during the day. That might work for you!

NO!! Go to Costco and buy the Costco brand (Alleclear) of generic claritin - <$12.00 for 300 tabs

This is what I use, works great.

This alone is worth the CostCo membership!

Cracks me up that it's $12.00 for 300 when the name-brand sits right next to it at $18.95 for 25...

Kevin

It does work but it is sedating - thus the DQ on it.

while i do understand the reason and the science behind it, being someone who is just naturally not very responsive to medications and so on, i have NEVER ever experienced this "sedating/drowsy" stuff that people talk about when taking benadryl, etc etc....

conversely, i can also pound 3 Red Bull drinks and then fall asleep 20 minutes later.

*shrug*

i quit taking pretty much all medications in general because they simply dont do much for me.

I have bad allergies and zyrtec is what works the best for me, but it makes me drowsy. My doctor prescribes me Allegra-D, he says it is non-sedating. It doesn't make me drowsy and it works pretty good but not as good as zyrtec. If I take zyrtec I just make sure that I take it before I go to bed, instead of during the day. That might work for you!

The problem with this method is the Zyrtec is a 24 hour preparation and you will not be able to fly the next day.

The problem with this method is the Zyrtec is a 24 hour preparation and you will not be able to fly the next day.

Yeah, I thought about that too wondering if that stuff was ok or not(pretty much reminds me about the botox and when I found out it was not approved-this was about 3 years ago when I found out about that). It's very hard when you tell the pharmacist that I took clarinex before and she told me to take claritin or another brand and you have to tell them that you are a pilot and can only take certain allergy medications when I had to call Walgreens for a refill.

Just to clarify, Claritin (not Claritin D) is OK? I've been enduring the occasional sniffle since I started flying but if I can take Claritin, Game on!

Back