ZFW pay cut due to lower traffic volume

esw2005

Do to being "overstaffed" and low traffic volume the FAA has decided it would be better to cut pay than to layoff ATC. I have heard that at ZFW there will be a pay cut by approximately 8%(still in negotiations) due to low traffic volume. What that means for us ZFW 'ers is that we will not start off at $39303 at stated in our TOL once we arrive at our facility. We will start off at $36,158.70

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that trainees are sitting around for six months twiddling their thumbs waiting to be trained. Apparently there are not enough trainers.

Re: ZFW pay cut due to low traffic volume

so they're actually just cutting the pay at that center and not moving zfw to a lower level facility? or what

so they're actually just cutting the pay at that center and not moving zfw to a lower level facility? or what

Yes, they are only cutting pay......they are not lowering the facility level.

Yes, they are only cutting pay......they are not lowering the facility level.

Where did you get this info from ? I don't work at ZFW but the only way to cut the pay at a facility would be to downgrade the facility rating, say from a 12 to a 11.

The pay is tied to the facility rating which is tied to it's complexity rating. It's not just traffic volume, it factors in arrivals and departures, IFR counts, how many thousands of feet A/C climb or descend, etc. That is why some Tracons have lower overall volume then some place yet are a higher level, the complexity is much higher.

If this is true, I wonder if ZHU, who now (and for the last 2-3 years) has a higher traffic count that ZFW will get their ATC12's

Where did you get this info from ? I don't work at ZFW but the only way to cut the pay at a facility would be to downgrade the facility rating, say from a 12 to a 11.

The pay is tied to the facility rating which is tied to it's complexity rating. It's not just traffic volume, it factors in arrivals and departures, IFR counts, how many thousands of feet A/C climb or descend, etc. That is why some Tracons have lower overall volume then some place yet are a higher level, the complexity is much higher.

I received this information from a current ATC at ZFW, lowering the facililty level was not mentioned. If they were to lower ZFW from a level 12 to level 11 it would be more than an 8% pay cut, it would be about a 11% pay cut.

ALTTRACON has said that the level of traffic at his facility has actually increased to what a level 13 or 14 would handle, but no one cares about proportional compensation when salary should go up.

It saddens me that I'm not surprised at the FAA's hypocritical pay cuts at facilities where traffic dips. It's like I've been disappointed so many times by their decisions that I can't bring myself to hope that they'll ever get any better.

I received this information from a current ATC at ZFW, lowering the facililty level was not mentioned. If they were to lower ZFW from a level 12 to level 11 it would be more than an 8% pay cut, it would be about a 11% pay cut.

8% is about the correct amount between pay scales

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that trainees are sitting around for six months twiddling their thumbs waiting to be trained. Apparently there are not enough trainers.[/quote]

I talked with the guys in CQY area early today about the training. They did not say anything about sitting around for 6 months. time to CPC is just under 3 years. Training and D sides average about one year, depends on the persons learning ability.

Oh there was no mention of a pay cut also.

Do to being "overstaffed" and low traffic volume the FAA has decided it would be better to cut pay than to layoff ATC. I have heard that at ZFW there will be a pay cut by approximately 8%(still in negotiations) due to low traffic volume. What that means for us ZFW 'ers is that we will not start off at $39303 at stated in our TOL once we arrive at our facility. We will start off at $36,158.70

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that trainees are sitting around for six months twiddling their thumbs waiting to be trained. Apparently there are not enough trainers.

No disrespect meant, but I call serious bs on this. "Overstaffed" at ZFW, huh? Interesting. I mere few minutes of research would tell anyone that wanted to know that ZFW is, in fact, understaffed. For those of us here in the Dallas area, there have been a number of recent articles in the Dallas Morning News, etc, about "incidents" at ZFW due to severe shortages of ATC's and those that are there are working way too many hours. If that isn't good enough, just use common sense, and ask yourself: "why are they still sending OTS trainees to ZFW if it is so "overstaffed." By the way, I have a contact in mangement at Memphis Center that confirms ZFW is in fact still understaffed and the notion of a pay cut is laughable.

Not to mention, downgrading a facility takes years to accomplish. It doesn't happen overnight or in a matter of months.

HD

No disrespect meant, but I call serious bs on this. "Overstaffed" at ZFW, huh? Interesting. I mere few minutes of research would tell anyone that wanted to know that ZFW is, in fact, understaffed. For those of us here in the Dallas area, there have been a number of recent articles in the Dallas Morning News, etc, about "incidents" at ZFW due to severe shortages of ATC's and those that are there are working way too many hours. If that isn't good enough, just use common sense, and ask yourself: "why are they still sending OTS trainees to ZFW if it is so "overstaffed." By the way, I have a contact in mangement at Memphis Center that confirms ZFW is in fact still understaffed and the notion of a pay cut is laughable.

The paper your referrring to is for the TRACON --D10. D10 is very understaffed and some there are working 6 day weeks and 10 hour days. At ZFW they are not working overtime unless they want to work it. They are not "severe shortages" at this time, but they are not overstaffed.

I have to seriously question this. I have been over to the NATCA members "webboards" area, and there is not one word of this. If this was true, the board would be filled with news about it. But I will find out in short order and let you all know the truth.

This is what i have found out so far...I will post more when I receive it.
I don't know about the truth of the pay cut or the negotiations, but I have been told by numerous sources that ZFW traffic level is now into the "buffer" between a level 12 and level 11. So, I am sure that brain surgeons at the FAA are just biting at the chomp to get everyone's pay cut. But, by their own white book, falling 1 level would only be a 4% cut, not 8%. Also, I know of one trainer at ZFW that has 3 trainees.

I have to seriously question this. I have been over to the NATCA members "webboards" area, and there is not one word of this. If this was true, the board would be filled with news about it. But I will find out in short order and let you all know the truth.

This is what i have found out so far...I will post more when I receive it.
I don't know about the truth of the pay cut or the negotiations, but I have been told by numerous sources that ZFW traffic level is now into the "buffer" between a level 12 and level 11. So, I am sure that brain surgeons at the FAA are just biting at the chomp to get everyone's pay cut. But, by their own white book, falling 1 level would only be a 4% cut, not 8%. Also, I know of one trainer at ZFW that has 3 trainees.

How do you come up with only 4% cut when dropping down from a level 12 to 11. CPC mimimum at level 11 is $70,300 and CPC at level 12 is $78,200. The difference between the two levels is about 11.23% not 4%.
$70,300 * .1123 = $78194.69

Well I hope it is not true.....the reason why I posted this thread was to get everyone's opinion.

I talked with the guys in CQY area early today about the training. They did not say anything about sitting around for 6 months. time to CPC is just under 3 years. Training and D sides average about one year, depends on the persons learning ability.

Oh there was no mention of a pay cut also.[/quote]

good to hear!!!!!!!!:nana2:

How do you come up with only 4% cut when dropping down from a level 12 to 11. CPC mimimum at level 11 is $70,300 and CPC at level 12 is $78,200. The difference between the two levels is about 11.23% not 4%.
$70,300 * .1123 = $78194.69

Well I hope it is not true.....the reason why I posted this thread was to get everyone's opinion.

All I did was post what was written on the Union BBS. I'm on my blackberry now so when I get to a computer I'll post newer replys

Not to mention, downgrading a facility takes years to accomplish. It doesn't happen overnight or in a matter of months.

HD

Under the present FAA who knows, they act fast to cost you money, they don't act at all to get you money.

Right now nothing will happen until after the election... depending on who wins will dictate what type of action we'll see. It's that way with any US Gov't job, they are very dependent on who has the white house.

I believe the part about trainess sitting around waiting to train. i took a job with a Railroad in TX cause i got so fed up with this dumba$* hiring process. All 17 classmates of mine are former military controllers and 2 of them were working for the FAA before they decided it was a waste of time and not a real way of making a living. They both said they sat around waiting to train, it never came so they quit. i think ill just keep this job and tell the FAA to shove it. it pays $307 a day and the railroad pays for all my lodging in TX while im in school. Not sure the FAA can match that, even after a year of so

Back