ZFW pay cut due to lower traffic volume

I believe the part about trainess sitting around waiting to train. i took a job with a Railroad in TX cause i got so fed up with this dumba$* hiring process. All 17 classmates of mine are former military controllers and 2 of them were working for the FAA before they decided it was a waste of time and not a real way of making a living. They both said they sat around waiting to train, it never came so they quit. i think ill just keep this job and tell the FAA to shove it. it pays $307 a day and the railroad pays for all my lodging in TX while im in school. Not sure the FAA can match that, even after a year of so

yup, i'm thinking of telling them to shove it too...
nearly 5 years seniority already, too much to give up for all this uncertainty

To both the RR guys...

About a year after getting hired on to the FAA I was offered a job with the Long Island Railroad as an engineer... I was already about 50% through my training (things moved better back then) so I declined but if I was offered both at the same time I think I would have taken the RR job. Both jobs are similar as far as schedules, responsibility, amount of knowledge, etc. but the RR retirement is probably the single best blue collar retirement in the nation. As for job security I think if your with a major Class 1 RR you have equal security to a Gov't job.

It bothers me to read good candidates like you guys turning down the job, qualifying as an engineer or conductor on a railroad is very difficult, it's a shame the FAA is pushing away all the best candidates.

If you'll excuse me I have to go back and to training my trainee who thinks ADW is in Jersey... :banghead:

How do you come up with only 4% cut when dropping down from a level 12 to 11. CPC mimimum at level 11 is $70,300 and CPC at level 12 is $78,200. The difference between the two levels is about 11.23% not 4%.
$70,300 * .1123 = $78194.69

Well I hope it is not true.....the reason why I posted this thread was to get everyone's opinion.

You have to figure the percentage cut from the larger number, not the smaller one. Just like it would be a 43% raise to get back the 30% that the FAA took.

If you'll excuse me I have to go back and to training my trainee who thinks ADW is in Jersey... :banghead:

Crap you mean when I booked a flight to ADW and thought I was going to end up in Jersey I am really going to Maryland? Crap, that is going to be a long drive to Jersey ;)

Just FYI, facility downgrade or not, your salary after OKC aka "AG" will remain the same. Whether you go to a level 4 tower or a level 12 center the AG is the same. The only difference is when you add locality.

You have to figure the percentage cut from the larger number, not the smaller one. Just like it would be a 43% raise to get back the 30% that the FAA took.

ok then.....$78,200 *.1023 = $7,99.86........$78,200 - $7,999.86
= $70,200.14.....which is a 10.23 % pay cut not 4%

To both the RR guys...

About a year after getting hired on to the FAA I was offered a job with the Long Island Railroad as an engineer... I was already about 50% through my training (things moved better back then) so I declined but if I was offered both at the same time I think I would have taken the RR job. Both jobs are similar as far as schedules, responsibility, amount of knowledge, etc. but the RR retirement is probably the single best blue collar retirement in the nation. As for job security I think if your with a major Class 1 RR you have equal security to a Gov't job.

It bothers me to read good candidates like you guys turning down the job, qualifying as an engineer or conductor on a railroad is very difficult, it's a shame the FAA is pushing away all the best candidates.

Yeah man, I really think the FAA is gonna be in a world of hurt shortly. Like I said, my whole class, 17, are prior military controllers who got out to work in the FAA and were totally put off by the bull&*t it takes to even get hired and then the few that actually worked for a couple of months said it was the worst place they had ever worked. Everyone is disgruntled, noone likes their job, backstabbing, etc. I work for BNSF as a dispatcher now, and I think that my story is probaly not unique. Companies pay for this skillset and they pay well, the FAA does not. Its only a matter of time.......

I work for BNSF as a dispatcher now, and I think that my story is probaly not unique. Companies pay for this skillset and they pay well, the FAA does not. Its only a matter of time.......

Because of your post the other day I went and applied for a few positions with BNSF. Thanks for the new idea :high five:

Good luck getting on with BNSF........it is very difficult to get an interview...either way good luck

not really, i applied on a sunday night, i got an email on tuesday inviting me to a interview in Fort Worth, TX on them. Called a number, they got me my roundtrip ticket, car rental and hotel reservation in about 10 minutes, all on them. I think this company is pretty professional, they work fast and they pay. Good luck man, let me know if you got any questions

not really, i applied on a sunday night, i got an email on tuesday inviting me to a interview in Fort Worth, TX on them. Called a number, they got me my roundtrip ticket, car rental and hotel reservation in about 10 minutes, all on them. I think this company is pretty professional, they work fast and they pay. Good luck man, let me know if you got any questions

I guess it all depends on that you apply for....What position did you apply for?

What - the FAA not compensating you guys well enough now?

The PAY was there. . .at one time. . .until the FAA decided to really jack things up, and ruin the career for a lot of people, myself included.

Nice to see a few of you OTS'srs are seeing the light.

I guess it all depends on that you apply for....What position did you apply for?

Dispatcher, basically train traffic control.
They look for anyone with an air traffic control background, pay you $249 a day while ur in school and pay for your lodging for the 4 months of school. Only downside is you dont get the GI Bill because its not for college credit (I checked, believe me)

Dispatcher, basically train traffic control.
They look for anyone with an air traffic control background, pay you $249 a day while ur in school and pay for your lodging for the 4 months of school. Only downside is you dont get the GI Bill because its not for college credit (I checked, believe me)

Oh I see, ATC background is what my friends and I are lacking. Maybe that is why I haven't had any luck getting an interview.

Back