Your Trophy Dispatched Flights

TomatoFlames

What were some flights that you either were tough and you really kicked ass or just that we unique or especially fun? Tell those flights that stand out in your career.

I would absolutely love doing JFK-LGA ferry flights. I've done a couple at the two airlines I worked at and it was always fun. You plan as best as you could but you know what no matter what you do, it will always change by ATC just tossing them around. A good chance to place a monetary wager with your teammates on what their actual airborne time will be!

Otherwise, I loved the challenge of doing over-land ETOPS over Russia. Flying from Kyrgyzstan to Japan was easily my toughest flying ever. Making sure that those ETOPS airports in Russia were ARFF-ok and monitoring their TAFs that amended seemingly twice an hour with drastic changes to keep it all legal.

I was actually just looking over some flight plans I've saved from the past this afternoon...

I have a few I've done that are really neat (perks of 121 supp I guess) but the one I like the most was MUGM/NBW - KNQX/NQX at my previous airline. I think the great circle is like 250NM but the flight plan distance was like 900NM. Same charter trip, different leg, I was shown how to beat an EDCT when working a charter into an airport with a GDP :D

There is a picture floating around of a Ryan International flight release on ELP-BIF with a 767-300. The planned flight time was 00:01. That is a neat one too. #womanpilot73

Cool topic; glad I'm not the only one with these thoughts :)

ELP to BIF! That's awesome. On my JFK-LGA flights, the runway configs at the time always sucked for very quick flights. Airspace is too congested.

I know this is more for flights being dispatched as dispatchers but I can remember a time when I was working operations at Delta here in LAS. We had a 767 divert to the air force base (LVS) northeast of LAS (Only 11 miles direct) due to traffic and wx. Well, the problem was that it was unplanned if I recall because of a cell that developed rapidly. So I had to communicate with the pilot and flight at the same time since the crew was unable to contact flight control via the radio due to where the base was located. You would think it would be a simple gas and go but that was not the case - we had to send a fueler to the base since it was AF policy not to touch planes that they were not trained on to put fuel on the plane, the trip took about 45 minutes since it was rush hour and by road is not really direct. About 2 hours later, the plane left LVS and arrived in LAS.

I believe the policy has changed since there is a lot more DOD charters going into military installations.

I know this is more for flights being dispatched as dispatchers but I can remember a time when I was working operations at Delta here in LAS. We had a 767 divert to the air force base (LVS) northeast of LAS (Only 11 miles direct) due to traffic and wx. Well, the problem was that it was unplanned if I recall because of a cell that developed rapidly. So I had to communicate with the pilot and flight at the same time since the crew was unable to contact flight control via the radio due to where the base was located. You would think it would be a simple gas and go but that was not the case - we had to send a fueler to the base since it was AF policy not to touch planes that they were not trained on to put fuel on the plane, the trip took about 45 minutes since it was rush hour and by road is not really direct. About 2 hours later, the plane left LVS and arrived in LAS.

I believe the policy has changed since there is a lot more DOD charters going into military installations.

I don't know what it's like these days, but when I was at a carrier with an LAS hub, LVS was the diversion choice of absolute last resort. Of course, if you had to get the plane down fast, they were always available and had a nice long runway, but you ran into issues like the ones you had with fueling. That's one of the drawbacks with LAS - no nearby big commercial airports to use as alternates, really. Fortunately, LAS doesn't require an alternate much of the time - but when an unforecasted storm rolls through, that can bite you in the butt.

g767 I did both of those flights. That was a BIF to ELP, then back to ELP to BIF, because we couldn't secure RON parking in BIF.

Another fun flight was SAN to NZY (North Island NAS). That was another 0:01 flight. I dispatched a B767 (N763BK from RFD to FRU, doing polar evaluation flight--you had to cruise at FL370 until LEPKI, then dip to FL290 to avoid fuel freeze, into Russian airspace, then into Kyrgyzstan.

I've done a NGU-LEJ on a with a 40000 lbs payload out of NGU with a 767 non-ETOPS. For all you ex-RIA's on here, It was done on s h i t box 2 (aka N123DN). Even though I'm a OCC Duty Manager now at NAA, I had pilots from RIA begging me to comeback to try to teach my tricks to the "newbies" at RIA! I told them, "If the price was right!"

deltabobo said:
g767 I did both of those flights. That was a BIF to ELP, then back to ELP to BIF, because we couldn't secure RON parking in BIF.

Another fun flight was SAN to NZY (North Island NAS). That was another 0:01 flight. I dispatched a B767 (N763BK from RFD to FRU, doing polar evaluation flight--you had to cruise at FL370 until LEPKI, then dip to FL290 to avoid fuel freeze, into Russian airspace, then into Kyrgyzstan.

I've done a NGU-LEJ on a with a 40000 lbs payload out of NGU with a 767 non-ETOPS. For all you ex-RIA's on here, It was done on s h i t box 2 (aka N123DN). Even though I'm a OCC Duty Manager now at NAA, I had pilots from RIA begging me to comeback to try to teach my tricks to the "newbies" at RIA! I told them, "If the price was right!"

You got 123 to do that? Holy cow! Lol...

I have done many, many flights in and out of PMDY. Those are always my favorite because of the history of the island itself. Gitmo and Cuba in general is also always cool as well.

Back