Your thoughts on Synthetic Vision (CBS Video)

I think it's cool, but to me the FLIR that gulfstream has is way better.

I agree with inside fixation, but people said that about moving map GPS too.

I can see it being good for people that fly into areas like Aspen, other than that we shouldn't need the technology at all. Until we can land with it in zero zero IFR conditions, it really is not worth the extra cost.

800px-XwingTargetingComp.jpg

Eh, the T-65 Targeting Computer has been using synthetic vision for years, but it's not much good for anything other than bulls-eyeing womprats (approx. 2 meters).

:p

I think it should be kept out of training aircraft......period.

Once they have learned how to fly, use it all you want.

The more situational awareness the better. I still think we are years away from practical use, especially at the airline level where this technology is unnecessary. A lot of biz jets go into unfamiliar places especially around the West with the unforgiving terrain that's where this technolgy will be beneficial. FLIR seems like a better option though.

The more situational awareness the better. I still think we are years away from practical use, especially at the airline level where this technology is unnecessary. A lot of biz jets go into unfamiliar places especially around the West with the unforgiving terrain that's where this technolgy will be beneficial. FLIR seems like a better option though.

Yes business jets and even small aircraft do go into areas they don't know, but even then it is a waist of money as they still have to follow the regulations whether they have synthetic vision or not. It doesn't actually help a pilot fly. If anything i could see pilots going below the DA or other minimum altitudes only because they see the runway or terrain on STV.

We still have to follow all the same rules as the flying just will not change with STV or not unless you get the people breaking regs to get into the airport. Now once STV gets certified for approaches to allow the pilot to decend to 100FT AGL I could see it as a bonus, but currently it is only a silly toy.

Back